Polish roundels - why asymmetrical?

Paul Wagner

From asymmetric WWII Polish Air force markings, to British Rail Lions on a bicycle in one day and eighteen posts. And with pictures yet !!

I was hoping to hear more about "ferrets and dartboards"!

But the part about the Polish Air Force was interesting, too.

bob

Is this a record for divergence on this site ?

From asymmetric WWII Polish Air force markings, to British Rail Lions on a bicycle in one day and eighteen posts. And with pictures yet !!

Phew !!

DR

:yahoo:

Has it moved then? Must have missed that....!!

Sorry, :coat: is on & I'll close the door quietly....

Keef

Wake up at the back young Keef !! Cold Wars over Old Chap - they are all over 'ere training lions to ride bicycles. And their ferrets can beat us at darts !!

DR

Is this a record for divergence on this site ?

Phew !!

DR

and at the risk of being accused of getting off topic - why did the USAF only have a national marking on top of one wing only? I assume there is a simple answer and I am not opening the usual worm can?

Great topic and something I was unaware of before so have learned something today btw

and at the risk of being accused of getting off topic - why did the USAF only have a national marking on top of one wing only? I assume there is a simple answer and I am not opening the usual worm can?

Great topic and something I was unaware of before so have learned something today btw

The USAAF simply thought that with two insignia on the wing tops, the camouflage would be compromised. This came about with the formal adoption of camouflage specs in October 1940. The other change was that the red and white rudder stripes were ordered removed. As rudders became larger, camouflage compromise was a significant issue.

The international agreement on national markings called for aircraft to be clearly marked from all six directions - two of which are understandably ignored, although the RAF did have a roundel on the nose of its airships between the wars, so just maybe? So there is no requirement for each wing to be marked, as long as one is. Possibly this was behind the RAF thinking in 1938, but experience of fleeting glimpses in combat highlighted the need for more than one? At least with something as dull as the red/blue roundel.

About the Polish Air Force in Britain 1940-46 there is very good website http://www.polishairforce.pl/menuraf.html - it is in Polish, but the tables and lots of photographs are understandable for all. The main list shows the squadrons, and below:

"Dowodcy, lotniska, sprzet" means "Commanders, airfields, plane types"

"Galeria zdjec" - "photo gallery"

"Zwyciestwa i straty" - "victories and losses"

...and there is more. Just explore. There are also sections about France, Eastern Front and many others - in the left menu. You can use google translator for deeper research.

About the Polish Air Force in Britain 1940-46 there is very good website http://www.polishairforce.pl/menuraf.html - it is in Polish, but the tables and lots of photographs are understandable for all. The main list shows the squadrons, and below:

"Dowodcy, lotniska, sprzet" means "Commanders, airfields, plane types"

"Galeria zdjec" - "photo gallery"

"Zwyciestwa i straty" - "victories and losses"

...and there is more. Just explore. There are also sections about France, Eastern Front and many others - in the left menu. You can use google translator for deeper research.

Wow, thanks for that, it's a very interesting site !

There is an interesting story connected with 1918-1920 war. In 1919 a group of American volunteers joined Polish army. They were posted to 7th sqn taking part in war against Soviet Russia. On occasion a new badge has been designed presenting connections between Polish and American military history. The items of the badge mixed US colours and Tadeusz Kosciuszko's Insurrection symbols. One of the leaders of the group was Merian C. Cooper, an aviator who earned his later fame as Hollywood producer with classic 'King Kong' under his belt.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._Kosciuszki.jpg

The badge being one of early Polish aviation symbols became very traditional and inherently connected with history of Polish air forces. You could have found it on September'39 P-11s:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/237/pics/29_32_b1.jpg

and later on RAF Hurricanes, Spitfires and Mustangs:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...izjon_303_4.jpg.

The circle of time helped Merian Cooper to reunite with 'Kosciuszko squadron'. He had a chance to drop by 303SQ while visiting Great Britain during the war.

And the budge is still alive:

http://pliki.lotniczapolska.pl/jpg/foto%207-04.jpg

A lot to do for a modeller with wide range of interest :).

Edited by greatgonzo

I'm doing a small Polish collection (well lets face it, they didn't have a huge range of planes :) !) and am intrigued by the asymmetrical placement of the rondels (squaredels?) on the upper wings. Why? So you can tell which way the plane is going? Easy recognition?

Paul

I would guess same reason the US used just one star per wing...so there no center beween to equal spaced rondels to aim at