Eduard 1/48 FW190A-8

You may not care but Eduards instructions for the pilots luggage hatch are incorrect and have you put it the wrong way around. The hinges should be at the back.

Sorry to mention it but thought you may like to know. :)

Howard

Well i wish i had taken a look at your post 1/2 hour ago .Just glued mine with super glue . I will have to live with mine :(

Alistair

Well a little more progress on the cockpit. The base colours are on and I have started adding the PE. There is a colour difference between the PE and the MM RLM 66 but hopefully that will be muted once the washes and weathering are complete. The luggage hatch has been reversed to the correct position (thanks Howard) and the two side panels attached.

002-2.jpg

I kept the centre panel to give it some depth and merely put the PE on top. The lower IP panels have been added some of the PE handles. A added a daub of white glue to the end and once it dried and formed a ball painted it RLM 23.

005-3.jpg

I added the piping on the floor that will meet the control column and the wiring to the column itself. The wire will be positioned under the console when the column is attached.

004-1.jpg

I drilled four small holes in the rear bulkhead and used some copper wire stripped from an electrical cord, passed them through the lower holes and secured these with CA. The shoulder straps will be passed through these and the free ends passed through the upper holes to create the anchor points. Hopefully the effect will simulate the real thing.

009-2.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Hello all.

Many thanks for the comments. I have a very quick update for you. I have finished the cockpit and applied the gloss coat. I am just waiting for it to dry an then a wash and dullcoat. I have commenced the wings, base coated the RLM 02 in the bays and wherever it was needed. The Master models barrels are being prepared and I will hopefully have more photos next time.

The photos:

003-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

010-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

The wash should give the harness a more "slept in" look. The shoulder harness attachments came out well, although a little touch up is needed!! I will finish the cockpit on the weekend and add some "Future" to the instrument faces to simulate glass.

I hope to get around a few of the other builds over the weekend and see what the rest of you are up to. Some great work here from you fellow modellers!!

Regards,

The wings are together and so is the fuselage. The Master Model barrels came out very nicely. I installed wing root barrels that are in the wheel into their positions in the wheel bay and lined them up before cementing the wing uppers. The external bits can be slid into the holes which lined up nicely. I also drilled the holes for the outer wing MG151's. The wing uppers appear to need a little dihedral to line up as when they are flat the lowers sections over run the uppers on the outer edges near the wingtip lights. So I started from the inner rear and worked my around the trailing edge a little at a time, using Tamiya Extra Thin and clamping or holding until I had a good bond before moving on. I eventually worked my way around to the wing root an glued and clamped each wing. Not entirely successful but a little clean up with a #11 or fine sandpaper will see the edges smoothed out. I then ran some tamiya tape across the top to keep the dihedral and will let it dry.

006-4.jpg

I noticed there was a small gap in the wheel bay where each of the upper wings joined onto the dimpled area but this was pretty much eliminated by the dihedral fix.

003-4.jpg

Below you can see the Master Model barrels sprayed with MM Gun metal. The wing root MG151's:

004-2.jpg

And the MG131 and barrels. It is simply a matter of cutting off the existing plastic barrel, drilling a hole for the brass barrel end and using CA to secure:

001-3.jpg

I then set about attaching the fuselage halves. I started at the tail (securing the rear wheel between the two halves) and worked my way forward, clamping and allowing the joins to dry. I stopped short of the cockpit area and when ready just slipped the cockpit tub assembly (washed and dullcoated) into position from up and under. Once I was happy with the position a little Tamiya Extra Thin on the underside joins secured the cockpit.

009-3.jpg

I let that set for a while before adding the upper gun deck assembly in much the same way. It was a little tricky as I think I should have shaved a tad off the forward cockpit tabs to give a tighter fit. But it is in and drying. A little clean up will be needed.

020-1.jpg

The wheel covers, upper gun cover and wing root covers have all received their colour, washes and dullcoats, as has the engine. The canopies have been "futured" and will be masked tonight.

I am concerned about the ejector chutes for the wing root MG151's. Thet are just vacant holes and have the bottom of the wing root gun bay inserts sitting above which give a very bare apperance. I have the references to try and scratch build but does anybody have any other suggestions??

Thanks for looking.

Hello all,

Just a small update. As I commented on Tim's build, I found the gaps in the wing roots and wheel bays closed with the addition of dihedral. Tape over the wing ends across the top of the cockpit area.

001-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

I have to do a little clean up in the wheel bays as I had some minor "oozing".

Here is the starboard gun bay and as you can see I have some issues with a small gap and step at the front. The port side also has a small step at the front but nothing a little filler and sanding won't fix.

003-5.jpg

But the wing root seal is nice (again a little clean up to do):

006-5.jpg

I also added a folded map to the map pocket and the Eduard PE strap over the top. I glued the strap to the back of the map, bent it over the map. When it was dry I then inserted the map and into the case and slipped the strap over the front and secured it with CA.

009-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

With my plan to leave the upper gun bay open I discovered I will have to take the 02 to the interior area on top of the wheel bays.

007-3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Kent

Hi Kent

I recon the Eduard 109a has to have a gap somewhere ,the choise on where that gap is is up to the modeler. Pobably like a person haveing a facelift the resulting scar is hidden by the hair not across the forehead. The gunbay seems to be a common place to put such gap. Mine was there but not in same position as yours . I remember sanding about 0.15mm off bottom of ejector shoots to alowe wing to come up made a large improvement in fit in what seemed like unconnected places . This model needs a magnifying glass examination during dry testing. How do you gunbay covers fit or are you haveing them open

Alistair

Hi Kent

I recon the Eduard 109a has to have a gap somewhere ,the choise on where that gap is is up to the modeler. Pobably like a person haveing a facelift the resulting scar is hidden by the hair not across the forehead. The gunbay seems to be a common place to put such gap. Mine was there but not in same position as yours . I remember sanding about 0.15mm off bottom of ejector shoots to alowe wing to come up made a large improvement in fit in what seemed like unconnected places . This model needs a magnifying glass examination during dry testing. How do you gunbay covers fit or are you haveing them open

Alistair

You may be right Alistair. However I think it may be the engineering of the kit leaves less room for tolerance. By that I mean the starboard gun bay on mine was a bit hit and miss. The gun bay insert wasn't exactly in the right place, resulting in the gap and step. The port gun bay insert was lined up better and the result is a better join with less step and gap. The MG131 ejector shoots on mine are a bit short and after hollowing them out some to replicate a chute and not a block, actually sit a bit short. It grates on my nerves but nothing I can do now. I am going to have both gun bays open at this stage although it may just be down to the port one if the gap cannot be successfully sealed in the starboard one.

Edited by Kahunaminor

A small update. I have attached the upper instruments and hood to the cockpit. Pretty straightforward really (once you know the trick with the scrap card on the hood front!). I used one of the very nice MDC 1/48 Revi 16B gunsights. I have yet to add the reflectors or some "Future" to simulate the lens.

002-4.jpg

001-5.jpg

The joins at the sides are okay and will be hidden by the front canopy when this is attached. This may be the last update for a short while as I have to pack up my travelling roadshow, head for home and set up again. I hope to be back at the bench early next week!!

Regards

Hi Kent

Looks like you got a better fit with your upper instruments and hood than i did . I think for my next one i wii put some plastic strip each side of the fuselarge to fix hood on .

Alistair