Eduard 1/48 FW190A-8

Hello all,

I trust you fellows don't mind an entry from the Antipodes??? I have had a number of these Eduard kits in my stash for a while and decided to drag this one out for the GB. My daughter's second birthday is the final date for the GB so I will hopefully be presenting her a new 190!

001.jpg

002.jpg

It is the profipak boxing so includes PE and masks. Here are some of the AM stuff I have available. I may not use it all as the Eduard PE included in the kit is hard to beat:

005.jpg

I have an idea for a partially open engine bay, hence the end locks but we shall see what time permits.

And here are some references:

009.jpg

I must say the AMS genie within me is a little disappointed in the Eduard engine as their seems to be a lot of necessary plumbing missing (very noticeable engine pipes and some wiring) but we shall see what actually can be seen!

To the Bat loft!!!!

Edited by Kahunaminor

Well I commenced a little differently...went to the engine. Basic construction and colour callouts saw the construction almost complete after a couple of hours. Sorry for the first couple of photos...I'll work on my photography too!

005-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

004.jpg

The unpainted piece on the rear is a jig that Eduard give you to assist in the installation of the exhausts. A nice touch and once you have attached the exhausts it is removed and replaced with the engine rear part as shown below.

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

I mentioned that the engine was a little sparse as far as essential plumbing goes. Here you can see that the pipes that should run from here (end of toothpick) to the rear of the cylinder heads is not included. I will probably add some evergreen rod but really!!

I then moved onto the basic cockpit construction. Seat installed and some basic construction. The raised details on the side panels has been removed in preparation for the PE.

009-1.jpg

012.jpg

The MG131 supports and ammunition feeds have been started. There is a three piece construction to the bay walls and floor and it pays to ensure the angles are correct. The ammunition containers affix to the front. Fiddly but not impossible.

011.jpg

The exhausts will be mounted next and then a black wash and some details picked out before the engine will be complete. I am now backing away from having the engine bays open as the engine isn't as complete as I would have liked (the mould marks on the cylinder heads may stay) but the MG131 bay will be open so maybe a little more detail there.

Any comments or advice gratefully accepted.

Back to the Bat Loft!!

Regards,

Welcome on board.

Oh, goody, another Sturmbocke :clap2:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit.

Steve

Well Steve

Not a Sturmbock. This expression was used for the heavyly armed and armoured Fw 190 of the sturmgruppen.

Dortenmann flew this a/c from Villacoublay, against the invasion front, after being pulled for the eastfront, to strenghen it. He lost this a/c on 26/6/44 over Paris in combat with Spitfires, he paraschuted to safety.

cheers

Jes

Well Steve

Not a Sturmbock. This expression was used for the heavyly armed and armoured Fw 190 of the sturmgruppen.

Dortenmann flew this a/c from Villacoublay, against the invasion front, after being pulled for the eastfront, to strenghen it. He lost this a/c on 26/6/44 over Paris in combat with Spitfires, he paraschuted to safety.

cheers

Jes

I stand correct. I guess I just got to excited.

Nice work so far Kent. I'll be keeping an eye on this as I have Eduard A's to do.

Steve

Hello all,

Finished the construction of the engine. Base coats of paint are on and next is a gloss coat and oil wash. The exhaust jig worked well and I really should have taken a photo whilst the exhausts were "just" attached but I forgot. The base colour on the exhaust pipes is Gunze "burnt iron" will be weathered using tamiya weathering pastels "rust'.

008-1.jpg

010.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

I hollowed out the rear of the exhausts by drilling two small holes and then scraping out the material left between with a scriber. After all 8 exhausts I wished I had chosen to do this one in 32nd scale!!! The bottom pipes will be done the same way.

015.jpg

016.jpg

The engine is quite nice and it is a shame do do all this work and then cover it up. I think when I build the next one without exposing the engine, I will only paint up front bits and probably detail it with ignition etc as it really is the only thing that can be seen with the cowls closed up.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Thanks Gents,

The exhaust colour does come up well under photo. The pipes appear to be spread a little further apart than the reference pictures show and I hope that doesn't cause me grief later. I had another look at the seat and I think it will have to come out for some weight loss (or possibly replacement with a nice Ultracast one).

Regards,

Replace the seat buddy, it looks way out of shape compared to the desired Ultracast replacement. And nice work thus far, seeing your going away for a few weeks, will that mean this gets put on the backburner for a little while?

Replace the seat buddy, it looks way out of shape compared to the desired Ultracast replacement. And nice work thus far, seeing your going away for a few weeks, will that mean this gets put on the backburner for a little while?

I have a couple of seats ordered from Ultracast and due in about a fortnight.

I am making plans to take it on the road again. After all the success of the last one I completed whilst..how does Daz put it? Oh yes..."resting" :wall: !!

Regards

Liking this build a lot mate, that engine looks very good indeed. I hope all the cowling and engine fitting goes smoothly, it's a tricky part of the build that requires concentration :) I'm sure you'll nail it though!

I hope all the cowling and engine fitting goes smoothly, it's a tricky part of the build that requires concentration :) I'm sure you'll nail it though!

Yes, I have heard that it can be a bit fiddly. With that in mind and Rowan's faith in my ability, I set about putting the parts together. I used a squeeze bottle of vallejo as a sort of jig and blutaked the three cowls to it. The circumference is close to what I wanted so I then carefully added a bit of Tamiya Extra Thin to the relevant areas. I let this get a bit of a bond and then man handled the cowls into shape around the front ring. A dash more Tamiya ET to set it place and when I was happy with that, I set it aside to dry. Too caught up in the moment to get photos (again).

I came back a couple of days later to have a look and whilst the shape was good, it did not look right. I then had a look and realised I had transposed the right and left cowls. They were on backwards! :doh: I used an RB Productions Ultra Thin razor saw to remove the cowls from the assembled piece and cleaned them a bit. I put them on the right sides and it is not too bad. A little filler and it will be okay. I will post a photo later.

The lesson: When building the Eduard 190A three piece engine cowl panels, ensure the little "Focke's" are on the right side!!!

Edited by Kahunaminor

Back again. I am away from home for the next four weeks and whilst I have taken my build and a lot of equipment, I'm still a little out of my comfort zone.

After completing the construction of the engine I moved to the cowling. As you will recall I had a little problem and had to take the cowling apart. I wasn't really happy with the result after I put it back together. Too much of the cowling edges had been removed and I lost all the rivets on the upper edges. So I pulled it apart again and used the two spare side cowlings instead. It will mean I will have to scribe the two forward locks on each side but I have marked them to remind me.

Here is the cowling Mk III:

006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

With that back on track I moved onto the cockpit construction. I was going to replace the seat with an Ultracast one but I cannot get it out without ruining it so it will stay. I sanded off the details for the side consoles and added the PE pedals, map case and hatch cover. The upper and lower IP's were prepared for initial painting before the coloured PE will be attached later.

005-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

I also added the PE wheel to the starboard cockpit wall:

008-2.jpg

It was now time to paint. I got out my trusty bottle of MM RLM 66 and opened it up to find it had congealed!! :wall: I had actually picked up another bottle as a spare and put it back before I left home. I cannot get home until the weekend so cockpit down, wheel bay up! I completed the basic construction of the wheel bay without any major problems. I use Tamiya Extra Thin cement and the engineering of the kit is such that the main wing spar or wheel bay rear acts as another jig to set your dihedral. There are no major problems although it is again a bit fiddly.

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

This is where I am up to tonight. I am going to continue the wing construction and will hopefully put some RLM 02 onto the wheel wells, gun bays associated areas before the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

005-2.jpg

You may not care but Eduards instructions for the pilots luggage hatch are incorrect and have you put it the wrong way around. The hinges should be at the back.

Sorry to mention it but thought you may like to know. :)

Howard