WNW Albatros DV

T-Tango

Off we jolly well go with yet another WNW Albie DV, I thought I would build this one as the old 'Work Horse', you know the one, the old aircraft that stands in the corner of the airfield that new pilots cut their teeth on, until they can prove them selves worthy enough to get a newer plane.

Any way pics will follow as I progress.

Cheers

Pete.

Do you have the Albatros Publications for the Jasta 5 specials (Vol. 1 & 2)?

Yes thanks, also Albatros Aces of WWI and the Windsock Data File, although this Albie won't be done up in any special insignia other than the green tail with red trim, plus of course a few other additions.

Cheers me dears.

Pete.

Morning All;

The first update, sorry its been a bit of a long time coming, the engine, yet another Daimler-Mercedes D.III 160PS is well under way.

wh01.jpg

wh02.jpg

As usual any comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Pete von Builderofkaiserkites.

Looking good, Pete -

I particularly like the spark plug effect.

I know what you mean about time taken - it always seems to that it is the prep is the thing that takes time. The actual assembly (to me) always seems much quicker!

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes the preparation is the bit that takes the time, when you get round to ithow are you gonna do your rigging???

Cheers

Pete.

Pete,

Most likely the usual way for me - lots of pre-drilling and then threading fishing line - I have my (on your past advice) 2lb line ready and waiting!

Regards

Dave

Pete,

Most likely the usual way for me - lots of pre-drilling and then threading fishing line - I have my (on your past advice) 2lb line ready and waiting!

Regards

Dave

Dave, try the turnbuckle method, when you get in to the swing of it, it is quite easy and it really looks the dogs danglies.

Pete.

So with the rocker box covers centered on the springs and the water pump on the rear tower you are doing a mid production Merc. D.IIIa 170hp on an early production Alb D.V? Nothing wrong with that just checking.

Edited by JackFlash

So with the rocker box covers centered on the springs and the water pump on the rear tower you are doing a mid production Merc. D.IIIa 170hp on an early production Alb D.V? Nothing wrong with that just checking.

Hi Jack;

WNW only give you parts for 2 versions of the engine, this one is supposed to be the Merc. DIII 160PS.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Jack;

WNW only give you parts for 2 versions of the engine, this one is supposed to be the Merc. DIII 160PS.

Cheers

Pete

Actually the 160hp (ps=hp in German) with concave pistons was outclassed by early 1917. The Merc. D.IIIa 170hp with flat pistons was introduced in about the second batch of the Alb. D.III. See the image below. It was manufactured through the late fall of 1917 when the 180hp arrived. There were successive improvements to all the se types. Here is a bit of fun on the subject. By some plugger hereabouts. Motors that began as 160hp were upgraded during repairs to the late 170hp & 180hp ( with the convex pistons) standards. Yet the crankcases still bore the 160hp castings.

F1466 & F1466a

Mercedes D. type Motors

Naval1.jpg

WNW Albatros D.V

Edited by JackFlash

Hi Pete looking good. Don't you get bored of the Albatros ;)

Photos are well taken do you have a fancy set up. I never find the right time to take a photo, always poor light, which means many of my builds never get photographed.

Hi Pete looking good. Don't you get bored of the Albatros ;)

Photos are well taken do you have a fancy set up. I never find the right time to take a photo, always poor light, which means many of my builds never get photographed.

Thanks mate, sometimes I think 'Oh no, not another one, then I think, 'better the devil you know'.

As regards the photo set up, I've got a DSLR with an 18-70 lens, I use a tripod, I take the photo's as close as I can get and crank the lens down to f22 for max depth of field, I use natural light or I have 2 flash guns with diffusers, when I've got a reasonable photo I then put it through Photoshop to tidy it up.

Cheers

Pete.

Looking good, Pete -

Do you use a paint wash (I tend to use a mixture of washes and dry brushing to weather things up a bit) to get the dirty look?

Dave

Thanks mate, sometimes I think 'Oh no, not another one, then I think, 'better the devil you know'.

As regards the photo set up, I've got a DSLR with an 18-70 lens, I use a tripod, I take the photo's as close as I can get and crank the lens down to f22 for max depth of field, I use natural light or I have 2 flash guns with diffusers, when I've got a reasonable photo I then put it through Photoshop to tidy it up.

Cheers

Pete.

So yes you have a fancy set up.

beats my point and click in a darkened room while bouncing on a trampoline

Looking good, Pete -

Do you use a paint wash (I tend to use a mixture of washes and dry brushing to weather things up a bit) to get the dirty look?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I used oil washes on the engine, I did a light grey wash on the cylinders, the rest of it I used a Raw Umber oil wash, it's a nice yellow/brown colour looks just about right for dirty old oil stains on the engine, also on the models I never use black, it's too stark and doesn't look real, I always use Vallejo Black Grey or Panzer Black which is not quite black.

So yes you have a fancy set up.

beats my point and click in a darkened room while bouncing on a trampoline

The secret is mate to get the model bouncing on the trampoline in sinc with you and the camera. :bounce::whistle:

Cheers

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Pete,

Your usual high standard of work on display here. Love the weathered look inside the fuselage - use of various paint washes I presume?

Glad to see you are making progress - looking forward to seeing the rest of your work on this one mate.

Dave

Another Albi! great looking woodwork, lets see the fuselage ready to button up :) . I'm going to have to start mine to keep up with you guys.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...