Fairey Gannet

Rizzo

So after finishing the Buccaneer and starting a Sea Vixen, I thought a COD Gannet would go well with them. And I've always loved the look of these things- not the most elegant design ever, but you can't say they're not distinctive.

I had a look at what was available (expecting there to be nothing to be honest), and saw that both Dynavector and Classic Airframes made a kit for this aircraft. The CA one was going for a LOT on ebay though, and I've read a lot of good things about Dynavector, so I've gone for this version. As a bonus, I will get practice making vacform kits before I start a Scimitar, which has to be one of my favourites (so one I would really like to get right).

The first task was cutting things out (although next time my first task will be adding stengthening braces). I've copied a thread here in adding marker pen lines around all the parts, and that really made things nice and easy to sand to shape.

gannet1.jpg

Next I put the front cockpit together, mostly with the kit parts, although it does need a bit added (no footwell, solid bulkhead, and too many instruments in the middle cockpit for a COD4)

gannet2.jpg

With all the metal parts added, it seems like this model will need plenty of strengthening, so I've added several bulkheads to the insides. I also made a new rear cockpit- the kit parts don't look like they'd work well here, and I want the empty COD version anyway.

gannet3.jpg

I've also cut the wings so they're folded, and attached them to each half. This way I can strengthen the join more easily than after the fuselage halves are joined together.

gannet4.jpg

I'm already hooked on these vacform kits- and as well as the Scimitar, have added a Swift to the stash :)

Neat! :) I've had my Gannet cut out for years and never got round to it... and a Swift to for that matter. I'm also hooked on vacformed kits, just don't seem to get time to do many at the moment, although the Wellesley is still sort-of vacform. :hmmm:

Keep on posting ;)

I've got the fuselage joined together now.

I've also added the parts around the jet pipes, and this needed quite a lot of filler to blend it into the area around. The join between the metal and plastic in the nose was tricky to hide too, especially as it's not along any panel line there- 3 attempts and it's hidden though!

gannet5.jpg

I made some new bits for the tail to replace the metal kit parts (which didn't fit well, just a bit too small)

gannet6.jpg

And the other bits of the nose were put together before I glued the nose into place- just to make sure it'll fit on properly later.

gannet7.jpg

gannet8.jpg

Looking very nice so far! Excellent work - I've never been able to successfully finish a vacuform kit. My hat is off to those who can!

Count me as one of the Gannet lovers. I don't know why, it's such an ungainly beast, but I just love it. I wish I had the oportunity to see one in the air. I hope they get the one in Wisconsin flying again soon.

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments :) I think this one is going to take me a while, so nice to have the additional motivation from posting it here.

Last week I rescribed it. I guess the kit as it was made has panel lines that are more in scale than normal. But they disapear with light sanding, and won't hold any wash properly. So I'm making them more defined, and adding in some missing ones too.

I should also have a sharp edge to the wing root at the front while keeping the curved join at the back, but that's something for the 'next time' list.

IMG_9205.jpg

Sorry Karl!

IMG_9210.jpg

And before I rescribe the wings I 'm adding in the wing fold. I love how there's even an aftermarket set for a vacform of an aircraft as relatively unknown as the Gannet is :)

The photoetch is nice, but much too two dimensional. So I've chopped it up and used some plasticard to add the depth. This required a new rear quarter to be made, but I'm quite happy with how it's looking so far.

IMG_9215.jpg

I've also cut off the intakes, and I'm in the process of making new ones out of some sprue. The vacform bumps don't really work so well.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more slow progress...

I've been putting together the outer wing sections. Some ribs and spars are in clear view here, so I added them in with some plasticard and spare Buccaneer PE. They're also a handy way of shaping the wing to fit the airwaves PE properly.

IMG_9216-1.jpg

Next I cut up the vacform canopy- must be easy enough I thought... 5 seconds later and one of them had a great big dent in the top.

The second one got cut very carefully... and with lots of bluetac on the insides. I carefully sanded it back to the engraved lines, but for whatever reason it then left a gap to the fuselage at the rear!

So planB: cut it up further and have the canopies all open.

This at least makes detailing the insides easier. The middle part still has these gauges present in the COD version.

IMG_9217.jpg

Well the initial coat of primer looks a bit wrecked now, but I'm nearly at the point where I can give it a proper layer of primer.

Intakes are all replaced with drilled out sprue. They're a little bit over sized, but the smaller ones I made all ended up looking a mess.

And I've also added on the elevators

IMG_9219.jpg

HinRizzo, Some tasty work taking place there, congratulations on getting stuck into a vac-form kit. You brought back some good memories from when I was 845 NAS at Culdrose in the mid sixties.

Many thanks.

Colin on the Africa Station

Hi,

When I build mine, I cheated and glued strips made from cans (Coke port, beer starboard, don't ask).

It helped the wings keep their angle.

gannet017.jpg

You'll see the WIP there : http://su22m4.free.fr/gannet/gannet.htm

Oh, and did you put ballast in the nose ?

Cheers,

Sebastien

HinRizzo, Some tasty work taking place there, congratulations on getting stuck into a vac-form kit. You brought back some good memories from when I was 845 NAS at Culdrose in the mid sixties.

Many thanks.

Colin on the Africa Station

I was tempted to do a Culdrose Gannet when I saw the decal sheet includes one- my family is from Coverack so Culdrose was the place that got me interested in aircraft in the first place (along with the old Aero Park at Flambards, which I think kept their Gannet until very recently?).

Hi,

When I build mine, I cheated and glued strips made from cans (Coke port, beer starboard, don't ask).

It helped the wings keep their angle.

Oh, and did you put ballast in the nose ?

Cheers,

Sebastien

Well the instructions do say you don't need any balast, but I figured too much is fine, and not enough isn't. So I put balast in anyway :)

For the wings I'll use the attachment point just behind the cockpit to keep the top of the wing in place, and then build up some hinges with plasticard for the bottom attachment point.

Nice work. I have the wing fold set hoping that it will fit the Classic Airframes kit. Your pictures will help me greatly when the time comes.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a disaster with the outer section of wings. I used Revel glue for the first time becuase it was easier to get into the smaller space- but the next day I found the wing had turned into jelly where the glue was :(

It did dry out properly after a week, so after reshaping the very wobbly looking wing, I'm finally back on track with this...

I've added in the lights to the wings:

IMG_9220.jpg

And I added on some rivets. I've just picked out the larger and more obvious ones that are on the real thing.

IMG_9224.jpg

The first coat of blue is now on, so hopefully I can get the decals on later this week :)

Looking good. :) Dynavector styrene can behave oddly sometimes. My Skyshark turned brittle and cracked after I used zip kicker on it once... nearly reduced me to a gibbering wreck! :S