Revell 1:32 Hunter FGR 9 - Miss Demeanour

Kallisti

So let me stake my claim to attempt to produce the version of the Hawker Hunter that is doing the airshow circuit currently, the fabulous Miss Demeanour!

southport.jpg

from this kit:

114500-10143.jpg

and decals, paint masks and guides from Cammett Ltd, whose website has disappeared it seems.

I think I'll source the ladder and ground support equipment from Flightpath as well just to be complete about it :)

I hope to do this justice!

SNAP!! ive been banging my head on this one for quite some time now!!

DSCF3622.jpg

DSCF3621.jpg

DSCF3620.jpg

this is the fourth repaint i have done!! ,i think the colours are too dark ,what are you using? i was thinking of switching to vallejio as the have a good range of ready mixed colours.

what about the rear end,black or blue? cant quite make my mind up,is the cammett stuff decals or masks?look forward to picking your brains!!

The back end is dark blue. The Cammett stuff is a mix of decals and masks, plus instructions. The deluxe set which costs and extra £15 includes enamel paints pre-mixed to give the right colours

I'm really looking forward to this one....a brave undertaking of a colour scheme if ever I've seen one! Nice work buccy mad, looks like it's coming along nicely. I'm not a fan of not authentic colour schemes on ex-military aircraft but to me this one is an exception!

Cheers,

Carl.

The back end is dark blue. The Cammett stuff is a mix of decals and masks, plus instructions. The deluxe set which costs and extra £15 includes enamel paints pre-mixed to give the right colours

dont suppose you`ve got a link for that Cammett stuff ? for £15 i would gladly forgoe the hit and miss of mixing paint!!

I'll pm you the email address this evening when I get home bucky_mad - the website appears to have vanished and I used the contact form on the site to get through to Robin but he then emailed me back on a different address. I think he's shutting the business down but was still happy to sell the set to me direct.

So today is the start day - yipeee! Was all ready to make a start today so pulled everything out ready and took the box & sprue shots:

DSCF5191.JPG

Box plus the decals and paint instructions from Robin at Cammett

DSCF5192.JPG

Thats a LOT of plastic!

Next, kit decals and instructions

DSCF5193.JPG

Whats this? half the bloody instruction book is missing... AGGGGHHHHHH!

I got this kit off eBay a couple of months ago and didn't notice that most of the instructions are missing, so if anyone has built this before do you still have the instructions? I'm willing to pay for copying and postage, just need them, this is too complex a kit to try to guess how to build it!

Construction hasn't started yet (picked up the part built Rafale M this week to finish it) but that doesn't mean the Hunter hasn't been on my mind...

Being new to this airbrush malarkey, I decided to start practising...

DSCF5201_001.JPG

As a first attempt its pretty pitiful :) the white/yellow mix was too thin and ran down the sheet. The Yellow mix was okay but didn't adhere well. yellow/red mix ditto but the red was actually okay. All these were Vallejo model colours, thinned "about" 50/50 with water. The blue is also Vallejo but thinned less, about 66/33. This covered most of the previous spraying and the final band or red was tamiya X7 thinned with isopropanol.

I think more practice is needed :)

Edited by Kallisti

Finally I can start!!!!

DSCF5228.JPG

Cockpit arrived today so now I can begin! Also picked up the pitot tube and a bag of lead shot to weigh the nose down!

Edited by Kallisti

Here is the latest practice and I'm MUCH happier with it:

DSCF5231.JPG

For a start I prepared the surface properly with Tamiya white primer, then used Tamiya paints thinned with isopropanol which gave much better coverage and adhesion. The earlier attempts were with Vallejo thinned with water and I think I went too thin hence why I had so much running. Then again the surface hadn't been prepared properly so overall is a learning process. i think the red needs to be a little more intense, but I'm getting there!

Just behind the test sheet you'll see my improvised extractor fan... the business end of my new Dyson vacuum cleaner taped to a tripod :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

Work has begin on The cockpit. This is a cracking resin set, with some superb detail all the better for being in 32nd scale. How accurate this is in depicting Miss Demeanour is another matter. I've not been able to find many cockpit photos of MD, although the website says "coming soon". So I decided to press on anyway and claim artistic licence if anyone calls me on it :)

DSCF5234.JPG

Initial Nato Black base coat, with dials picked out with Tamiya XF18 semi gloss back to give the faces more contrast. Once the dial detail is picked out, I'll drop a blob of Klear over the dial to represent the glass. More work needs to be done on the seat, I've so far only picked out the buckles with silver. This represents this evening's work in picking out details and now my head is throbbing like a bugger! I thought I post some progress in any case.

I'm going to take a break from MD for a while so I can build the Aliens Dropship for the Movie GB, but "I'll be back" before the end of this GB!

• 1 month later...

Yes I heard about that. One of these days I'll be able to finish the Aliens Dropship for the Movie and TV GB and return to finish this wonderful subject. I feel like I'm running out of time as there is less than a month left of this STGB!!

I've been looking further afield on the net for photos of the cockpit of MD but the best I coudl find was a video taken inside the cockpit over Biggin Hill which shows a sort of "over the shoulder" shot from the port side. So instead I went to the Heritage Aviation site and filled int eh contact us form and emailed Jonathan Whaley directly asking if it was possible to get some photos of the cockpit for this model and he very kindly replied and included just the thing! I was very impressed!

So basically there Garmin sits in the upper middle of the console, where the gunsight would have been. There is also a screen down on the starboard console, just above the fuel indicators. Quite a few of the displays are differnt to the True Details cockpit I have, but I think I can make a good attempt at reproducing the layout. Scratching up a Garmin box shouldn't be too difficult - hell, I've built 32 flipping missiles for the Aliens Dropship - after that almost ANYTHING is easier!!!