Fortress Mk. III

Hey, Paul, that's great!

I have a Revell B17 in my stash, but also an Airfix (actually a reboxed Academy) one, too. After reading your WIP and seeing the final result I've decided to build a 214 Squadron Fortress III myself. I'm going to use the Airfix / Academy kit and scratch anything else.. I've checked and the Revell Lancaster BI / BIII H2S radome fits (I know I'll have to deepen it). I haven't checked diameters or anything but I'm considering using a cut down Lancaster 'cookie' to form the basis of the 'Jostle' box.

One thing - may I ask your advice please? The ball turret aperture: how did you fill it, please? A heads-up would be most welcome. My thoughts are to 'plank' iot inside & then again externally, making good with Milliput. But I'd love to know how you did it!

Thanks for a very interesting WIP.

Jonny

Hi Jonny

Glad you like it! I used exactly the process you described. The aperture was covered with plasticard inside and then I just filled and sanded the gap until I was happy with it! I must say after the reaction this one has received, I'm very tempted to follow it up with the Eduard/Minicraft Liberator in the same colours :)

Paul

• 11 months later...

Blinding Build :coolio: Thats a great looking Fortress.

A few points if i may , The code letters look a little bit to bright to my eyes and could do with toneing down a bit.

The nose glazing would look much better with the frames painted.

Try painting the tyres with a dark grey , this would blend them in with the rest of the weathering.

:goodjob: 

Thanks Keith :)

You're right about the code letters, they should be dark red. I couldn't get dark red ones anywhere though, so I had to compromise.

Not sure if all 100 Group Fortresses had the nose glazing painted over. It is more than likely that they were on this aircraft, but I plead artistic licence again due to the use of an awful lot of Eduard etch! :lol:

The tyres are painted grey - either Nato Black or Rubber Black, I can't remember which - but they probably look darker as I used a white background to photograph this model against. For some reason a blue background didn't look right.

What all the others have said, an exceptional build of an unusual subject. I've been researching the B17s flown by 214 squadron since I intend building one myself at some point, though I've been unsure which kit to use - I think this one has made up my mind! One small point, which is probably a little late now anyway, but all 100 Grp's B17s had a box-shape flame damper fitted to each nacelle, the aircraft were sent on delivery from the USAAF to Scottish Aviation at Prestwick for this to be done. Martin Streetly's excellent "The Aircraft of 100 Group, an historical guide for modellers" refers.

Max

Oh how I hate these forums!! Just like Spitfire a couple of pages back I too have the Revell 1/48 kit, the Paragon 100 Group resin and the Kits at War Decals so I may just have to start it sometime soon. There goes summer!

Seriously, what a build. You mention that this was a newish Revell release. Does that mean it's not the 1/48 offering or am I just being a little bit thick?

Anways we're still commenting on this a year after it was first posted, can't be bad!

Chris

Oh how I hate these forums!! Just like Spitfire a couple of pages back I too have the Revell 1/48 kit, the Paragon 100 Group resin and the Kits at War Decals so I may just have to start it sometime soon. There goes summer!

Seriously, what a build. You mention that this was a newish Revell release. Does that mean it's not the 1/48 offering or am I just being a little bit thick?

Anways we're still commenting on this a year after it was first posted, can't be bad!

Chris

Hi Chris

That's right, this is the 1:72 B-17G, reviewed here.

Paul