Fortress Mk. III

Well, after a 9 month long build (glacial by my standards) I'm happy to be able to post this in RFI at last. This is the Revell B-17G with all of the Eduard photo etch detail sets available (about 6 in total) and some scratch built extras. It was painted with a combination of Tamiya and Gunze acrylics. Decals are from Kits-World and Xtradecal, as well as one or two from the kit. I'm aware that a few details are not quite right, but it's close enough for me. The Revell kit is very easy to build, as are the Eduard photo etch parts. It was a bit of a slog at times, but I'm glad I've finished it now and it will look great on the shelf alongside other heavies such as the new Revell Halifax.

fortressiii-1.jpg

fortressiii-2.jpg

fortressiii-3.jpg

fortressiii-4.jpg

fortressiii-5.jpg

This picture shows the H2S radar and Piperack aerials on the upper wing surfaces

fortressiii-6.jpg

This picture shows the Window chute and ABC transmission mast

fortressiii-7.jpg

This picture shows the tail and Airborne Grocer aerials

fortressiii-8.jpg

This picture shows the Eduard photo etch landing flaps

fortressiii-9.jpg

fortressiii-10.jpg

fortressiii-11.jpg

A pic of the bomb bay for Mike as requested... and now I've remembered that I haven't actually finished it

:lol: I still need to add the outer bomb racks and the Jostle transmitter!

If I get a chance I'll take some better pictures tomorrow :)

• Like 4

Paul's (insert own superlative here) Fortress III is in the colours of 214 Sqn. The squadron was part of 100 Group & was used in the radar counter measures role. 214 operated the Fort from November 1944 until the end of the war, disbanding in July 1945.

Looks like Mungo was quicker on the keyboard than me!

Pete

Edited by Buzby061

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm going to try and photograph it again tomorrow as it was getting dark when I took these pics and they're all horrible and grainy as a result. I'm just wondering what I should build next :hmmm:

That Flying Fortress looks brilliant in the 100 Group markings, Paul! I rather fancy a go at one myself. Did you use any conversion parts (I believe Paragon used to make a set) for this ECM version? It would look great next to a Luftwaffe KG200 example.

Regards,

Jason

I really like it! Very nice scheme, it looks great in RAF camo & a very tidy build. BTW - do you ever question the worth or the sanity of Eduard internal PE sets given whats visible when all said & done?