Lavochkin La 176 First Russian supersonic

This started out as a 'quickbuild' of a cheap kit but once started it turned out so awful that I really couldn't finish it 'from the box'.

For those interested see the WIP thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234912219

La1763-4right.jpg

La1763-4rightrear.jpg

At the moment I'm not sure if it is 'finished' because I have been unable to ascertain whether it was ever painted or had Russian markings applied.

If anyone has any knowledge please let me know.

Was it worth the effort?

Well first of all there has been a frustrating hint that a new kit is likely and secondly I found that the problem with this sort of project is that the sort of time you put into it should really result in something of exhibition standard instead of just a normal model.

Does anybody else feel like this?

On the other hand I've learned a lot doing it and there can't be many others out there.

John

Edited by John R

Nicely done..............................maybe slap some what if markings on it if you think it's a bit naked?

No way! I want to model it 'as was' not 'what if'

John

This started out as a 'quickbuild' of a cheap kit but once started it turned out so awful that I really couldn't finish it 'from the box'.

For those interested see the WIP thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234912219

La1763-4right.jpg

La1763-4rightrear.jpg

At the moment I'm not sure if it is 'finished' because I have been unable to ascertain whether it was ever painted or had Russian markings applied.

If anyone has any knowledge please let me know.

Was it worth the effort?

Well first of all there has been a frustrating hint that a new kit is likely and secondly I found that the problem with this sort of project is that the sort of time you put into it should really result in something of exhibition standard instead of just a normal model.

Does anybody else feel like this?

On the other hand I've learned a lot doing it and there can't be many others out there.

John

Hello John - very neat and nicely done. It seems that period photos show no markings at all. All the pictures I could find with markings applied appear to be either in museums or 'made up' pictures or illustrations. How about a few panel lines and rivets added with a pencil?

How about a few panel lines and rivets added with a pencil?

Thanks Chris

I agree that it's rather bland but a few reasons why not

First of all I was still trying to find out if it was ever painted and had markings added.

I have since heard from Russia that it wasn't so...

Second reason is that the photos show an awful lot of very prominent rivets so how many do you add?

Tail.jpg

Last one is a desire not to over-egg the pudding. It's taken a lot of time and effort to get this far and I was afraid of ruining it. However now that I know it wasn't painted I'll think again

John

Edited by John R