Aftermarket Wheels?

nodrog2

O.K Guys I need to know why some of you have added aftermarket wheels to the Tamiya 1:48 Thunderbolt Razorback, are the ones in the kit that bad, if so can you tell me why before I begin the build on the one I have recently bought?

Cheers Guys Nodrog

I wonder why these aftermarket boys do things like wheels and cockpits when the kit ones are every bit as good. No disrespect to them, but IMHO they should deal with bits that ARE needed! I woldn't have thought Tamiya would get wheels wrong but there is always a first time.

Stick with the kit ones if they look perfect enough for you.

It's not always down to them being wrong. Sometimes it's easier to use resin wheels than lose detail when sanding the seams on a tyre with a cross cut pattern or similar. Yes, you can scribe it back but it's a choice thing for the builder and his skill ability. There's also the advantage of resin wheels coming with a bulge in them to simulate the weight of the airframe on the tyres. Aftermarket cockpits are another different thing. I, like many, am more than capable of adding detail but my time isn't free and I'd rather pay a tenner than spend hours trying to replicate the same standard. Again it comes down to choice but for reference the Tamiya P-47 cockpit is very good OOB.

It all comes down to choice.

Pete

Thanks guys for your input, I think I will go with the ones that come with the kit, in relation to the aftermarket cockpits having read up on a lot of the builds on B.M. I noticed that some modelers had problems fitting them and had to make a few adjustments to get them to fit inside the fuselage, well where I am concerned as on so many occasions, once assembled more often than not, very little is seen, but like you have mentioned its a personal choice, I built the Academy bubble-top P-47D and was happy with the cockpit it came with and just added masking-tape cut to shape for the seat belts, with regards to the wheels in the Tamiya razorback kit, I asked about aftermarket ones in case there may have been a big difference in maybe the size, as this is not the case, as I say, I will use the kit ones.

Once again guys thanks its great to have a site like this to access help from fellow modelers. Gordon

Gordon,

I'm just finishing off a Tamiya 1/72 Razorback Jug and I'll be using the kit wheels as they are perfectly accurate. All I did was clean up the seam and gently soften the plastic on one side before pressing it on a glass coaster to simulate the slight bulge in the tyre. Overall, I've been very impressed with this kit.

Mark.

Gordon,

I'm just finishing off a Tamiya 1/72 Razorback Jug and I'll be using the kit wheels as they are perfectly accurate. All I did was clean up the seam and gently soften the plastic on one side before pressing it on a glass coaster to simulate the slight bulge in the tyre. Overall, I've been very impressed with this kit.

Mark.

Thanks Mark I may give your idea a go, just concerned I may over-heat them and mess them up, I have some spare wheels in my spares box so will practice on them first, I also have a 1:48 Beau-fighter ( Tamiya ) to build so if your idea works out O.K I will do the wheels on that also.

Thanks again Mark

Gordon

Thanks Mark I may give your idea a go, just concerned I may over-heat them and mess them up, I have some spare wheels in my spares box so will practice on them first, I also have a 1:48 Beau-fighter ( Tamiya ) to build so if your idea works out O.K I will do the wheels on that also.

Thanks again Mark

Gordon

I wouldn't worry about adding a bulge, which are very slight and hardly noticeable on most real tyres, just sand a small 'flat' on the wheel (a few seconds work, rub the completed wheel on a flat piece of sandpaper) makes all the difference and avoids the 'tip toe' look that unflattened tyres give.

Si.