Jasta 59 Albatros DVa

487 Squadron

Eduard's timeless 1/48th DV kit, slightly modified to DVa spec. I built this to try Uschi's woodgrain decals, which are absolutely excellent - they are great to handle, stick down well, and give a very pleasing effect. Unfortunately I've oversprayed them / toned them down far too much, and failed to take into account the degree to which the other markings would reduce their visibility further. Next time I will use a lighter base coat and leave the grain effects far move visible. I also opted to use Eagle Strike's aftermarket Jasta 59 decal set simply because I had them and I thought it'd be something a bit different. By contrast to Alex's decals, they are terrible - thick, prone to tearing, and don't conform to shape very well at all - but it underlined just how good Alex's woodgrain decals are to use - highly recommended. Anyhoo, here it is:

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

See, look really closely - they are there, really!

IMG_0536.jpg

Edited by 487 Squadron

That is fantabulous! great looking markings as well.

I'd also like to know how you did it. Panel by panel or larger areas?

Cheers

John

I cut pieces of Uschi van der Rosten's woodgrain decals roughly the same size as the panels and applied them in different directions, alternating semi-randomly between his 'coarse' and 'fine' grain decals. Some I trimmed when in place, others I simply left overlapped where the grain hid the edge. Then I oversprayed them with thinned Tamiya acrylic browns to tone the effect down, but I went one coat too far and muted them a little more than I had intended. Oh well, live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That looks great! I'm just starting this kit. Do you think you could tell me how you did the gun barrels with the PE? I tried and failed and flattened the PE back out so how did you go about it?