Tamiya Spitfire VB Trop 1/48

G'day All, Another sample of my Malta Collection and it shares the disticntion of being my first Tamiya kit! This kit gave me the urge to tackle the Swordfish. Built last year, OOB except for Eduard belts, Aeromaster Malta Defenders decals. Kit was a joy to build, researching the Malta Spit colours was another story... Hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers

Stephen

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

Edited by Prop-nut

Beautiful build, I love these Malta Spitfires. Know what you mean about the colours though, a quick Google of this aircraft serial seems to throw up as many colour scheme variations as there are pictures!

Hello. Suggest to you to take part in the Internet category "Supermarine Spitfiere in 1 / 48." http://www.modelistbarnaul.com/index/spitfajer/0-11

You can set: "Supermarine Spitfiere in 1 / 48", as well as www.modelistbarnaul.com

11. Special gift from Internet shop «the HOBBY FOR YOU» http://www.hobbyforyou.ru for the best model of the plane «Supermarine Spitfiere on the scale of 1/48» from company "HASEGAWA".

12. Special prize company «ICM» for the best model airplane «Supermarine Spitfiere in 1 / 48" from the company «ICM-Moskow».

Waiting for an answer:[email protected], [email protected]

Photos can be sent to my address [email protected], [email protected]

I hope you accept my invitation.

Regards, Oleg.

Hello Stephen,

I really am an admirer of your modelling but with respect I have come to a different conclusion about this very same aircraft!

Good photos appear on pages 83-84 of the excellent Osprey Aces book Spitfire Aces by Steve Nichols which show it to have a DH propeller, no Vokes filter, clipped wings and a dark colour scheme whilst the underneath of the clipped wingtips are a colour which matches the red of the under wing roundel. My own research indicates a Dark Blue upper surface colour scheme with Azure Blue codes, especially as the codes do not match the yellow of the roundel outline! Anyway for what it is worth here is a photo of my model, again built using the same Tamiya kit but with a Hasegawa propeller.

3-TNT.jpg

TNT.jpg

ben1-4.jpg

And here is one before I overpainted the yellow Aeromaster codes with Azure Blue

ben1-3.jpg

Funnily enough,Sqn Ldr John Lynch, an American in the RCAF was quite near sighted despite being an ace and he relied heavily on his wingman! Having shot down `Malta`s 1,000th' kill his own `scoreboard' on EP829 which included an Italian kill was deleted a few days later for propoganda purposes and a new one, located further back under the windscreen comprising solely of German crosses under which was chalked the famous `Malta`s 1,000th' . In the photo depicting this fresh paint can just be made out further forward where the original scoreboard had been.

Having shared Short Messages with you in the past I`m pretty sure that you`ll appreciate my input here, but just in case, please feel free to delete this post,

All the best

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

Hello Stephen,

I really am an admirer of your modelling but with respect I have come to a different conclusion about this very same aircraft!

Good photos appear on pages 83-84 of the excellent Osprey Aces book Spitfire Aces by Steve Nichols which show it to have a DH propeller, no Vokes filter, clipped wings and a dark colour scheme whilst the underneath of the clipped wingtips are a colour which matches the red of the under wing roundel. My own research indicates a Dark Blue upper surface colour scheme with Azure Blue codes, especially as the codes do not match the yellow of the roundel outline! Anyway for what it is worth here is a photo of my model, again built using the same Tamiya kit but with a Hasegawa propeller.

3-TNT.jpg

TNT.jpg

ben1-4.jpg

And here is one before I overpainted the yellow Aeromaster codes with Azure Blue

ben1-3.jpg

Funnily enough,Sqn Ldr John Lynch, an American in the RCAF was quite near sighted despite being an ace and he relied heavily on his wingman! Having shot down `Malta`s 1,000th' kill his own `scoreboard' on EP829 which included an Italian kill was deleted a few days later for propoganda purposes and a new one, located further back under the windscreen comprising solely of German crosses under which was chalked the famous `Malta`s 1,000th' . In the photo depicting this fresh paint can just be made out further forward where the original scoreboard had been.

Having shared Short Messages with you in the past I`m pretty sure that you`ll appreciate my input here, but just in case, please feel free to delete this post,

All the best

Tony O

Hi Tony ,

I based my model on my Malta Bible. Namely Malta George Cross, Victory in the Air, by Richard J Caruana. (BTW do you have a copy?) Its an absolute must have in my opinion. Anyway page 34 shows a line up of 249 Sqd Spits, EP829 , is shown 3rd from the front. They all have Volkes filters in that shot, also the small "T" isnt visible on that side of the aircraft. Page 37 shows EP829 undergoing servicing and a visble camo pattern is present, again in that photo. To my mind EP829, at this point in time was as modelled, however this isnt to say that this didnt change later on. (Page 34 of Malta GC also shows BR246 which almost certainly is in a "blue" scheme, it is describes an an early Spit.) I question if the larger photo on page 83 of the Osprey book is in fact EP829! One other point this phot shows an aircraft with a penant of some some just below and infront of the front windscreen, this penant is not present in my photo reference, this and the fact that no codes of any sort are visible.

EP829.jpg From: Malta George Cross, Victory in the Air, by Richard J Caruana

In anycase you did a very nice job on your Spit, and I welcome the ongoing investigation. Cheers Stephen

Edited by Prop-nut