Airfix Avro 504 K - 1/72 Scale

tc2324

Continuing with my task/project/obsession* of building an example of pretty much every type flown by 74 Sqn, it was time to go back to the very start when 74 was formed at Northolt in 1917 as a training sqn rather than a fighter unit. They were flying a few types at this time with the Avro 504 being it`s main type on the books.

(*delete as necessary)

So I obtained this Airfix kit a couple weeks ago, and yes, it really is that old judging by the colour of the instructions paper....... :o

002-85.jpg

001-75.jpg

009-43.jpg

008-47.jpg

006-60.jpg

I bought a Merit version of the Avro 504 several years ago but the kit was in such original condition when it arrived (still had the little tube of glue inside) that I decided not to put it together in the end, shame I know. Looking forward to watching your build of the Airfix kit.

This one is going to be very interesting! Even though there are a few accuracy issues with the kit it is one of my favorite Airfix biplanes.

Martin

This one is going to be very interesting! Even though there are a few accuracy issues with the kit it is one of my favorite Airfix biplanes.

Martin

Not as many as some reviews would have you beleive - the worst is an undernourished fuselage (A slab of 60 thou plastic card along the bottom helps)

Martin

In that cae perhaps an example needs to be added to my collection :hmmm:

Martin

Thanks for the comments all.

Todays update.

Painted the cockpit and fitted the chairs. The two fuselage sections seemed to be warped and would not stay together so I had to bring out the `big guns` and clamp them together. Once done the engine, cowling, wings and tail including the struts were stuck in place. Next up will be the wing struts and a tad of fuselage and upper surfaces painting.

003-83.jpg

004-68.jpg

006-61.jpg

Progress so far.

Went back to the choping board and mixed up some paint to get an approx match. (Picaso I ain`t!!)

Then once painted, put the wings into place. The struts were `troublesome` to say the least, but after about 30 mins all were in place. Waiting for it to dry before I tidy it all up.

004-69.jpg

007-47.jpg

008-48.jpg

Some of you may have noticed that while I have stated that this is for my 74 Sqn collection, the serial is that of the machine at Hendon. Simple answer it that there are no decals for the 74 examples, therefore this is just a representation of the type used.

So here we have it, my gap filler for,

74 (Training) Sqn, RFC Station Northolt, 1917

030-4.jpg

027-3.jpg

028-2.jpg

And to finish up, a couple of shots of my pre Second World War 74 Sqn collection. (A Gauntlet is on the way soon......)

020-23.jpg

025-1.jpg

• Like 1