Thin Plastic Card Included In Old Airfix 54mm Figure Kits?

andym

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the gauge was of the very thin plastic card included in Airfix 54mm kits for making such things as reins, straps, slings etc?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by andym

...however, if you're thinking of using it for reins, straps and slings etc, then you'd be better off acquiring some lead foil (eg from scalelink)! Or use the ersatz stuff from wine bottles. It's far more tractable, drapes more realistically, and stays where you put it...

bestest,

M.

...however, if you're thinking of using it for reins, straps and slings etc, then you'd be better off acquiring some lead foil (eg from scalelink)! Or use the ersatz stuff from wine bottles. It's far more tractable, drapes more realistically, and stays where you put it...

bestest,

M.

Have to agree ! Lead foil is brilliant for a lot of uses and IMHO is the best material for belts and similar things.

Have to agree ! Lead foil is brilliant for a lot of uses and IMHO is the best material for belts and similar things.

An alternative to lead foil is 3M Metal Repair Tape, you can find it in B&Q, Homebase, Wilkinsons and the like.

Thin metal foil tape that can be sliced with a new sharp blade and is self-adhesive on one side, so it stays where you put it. Other than that its about the same to use as lead foil but inifinitely cheaper, a roll should last until you're about 350!

The best source of lead foil is malt whisky bottles. OK, you can pay upwards of thirty quid for a couple of square inches of foil, but you do get 70cl of whisky thrown in. And, unlike the stuff used on wine, there's no layer of plastic inside the foil to spoil things for you.

However, while I'll never stop buying malt whisky (for the foil!), that tape sounds useful.

My question about yoghurt pots still stands, though. I've heard it's polystyrene and I'm curious about how it compares with the stuff available in model shops. (It comes with free yoghurt!)

Watch your supermarket for cheese sold in thin slices - if they are separated by white plastic it it polystyrene almost for sure. I have tons of this 0.1mm plastic, that only needs to be de-greased to be used as the far more expensive evergreen.

Thanks everyone for your replies, now I know what to get, 5 thou card. And it's not for straps etc, I use lead foil for that, it's just that when scratchbuilding extra details on kits I occasionally need really thin plastic card (as I find it easier to work with than brass shim).

Regards,

Andy