LTV A-7D corsair II instructions needed...

nirvanagr

Hi mates.

I am willing to build an A-7E but i like some camos that i'm not sure if they can be used on the 'E' version.

Some of them are the following:

dfst82004801.jpg

dfst82062591.jpg

dfst82102261.jpg

dfst87096931.jpg

dnst89019271.jpg

dast85015231.jpg

I think that some of them are the 'D' versions.

My question here is: Can i paint my A-7E kit in a camo like the above ones?

I really love the last sheme (last pic)!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by nirvanagr

You could build the example in the second to last photo, it's an Navy A-7E, all the others are Air Force A-7D variants, they have the boom refuelling housing behind the cockpit offset to port side of the upper fuselage. There was also a few A-7E's finished in desert camo (similar to the middle aircraft in the 3rd photo) during the first gulf war.

Hope this helps.

Muzz

Hi mates.

I am willing to build an A-7E but i like some camos that i'm not sure if they can be used on the 'E' version.

Some of them are the following:

dfst82004801.jpg

dfst82062591.jpg

dfst82102261.jpg

dfst87096931.jpg

dnst89019271.jpg

dast85015231.jpg

I think that some of them are the 'D' versions.

My question here is: Can i paint my A-7E kit in a camo like the above ones?

I really love the last sheme (last pic)!

Thanks a lot in advance!

I originally saw only three pictures, but when I previewed my reply I saw the other three. Only the one picture is of a Navy aircraft. All the rest are Air Force D models. The Navy never had any Ds. The Navy aircraft was in a non-standard scheme. The Air Force camouflage pattern can be found at http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-7/a-7_profile02.shtml. The Navy's Tactical Paint Scheme can be found in MIL-STD-2161A and consisted of FS 36320 and FS 36375, but the pattern is nothing like the Air Force used. I did a Yahoo search to find a .pdf file of the Navy spec a few years back. It hopefully is still available. The picture of the three aircraft flying over the Grand Canyon have two experimental schemes. The upper most aircraft carries a wrap-around version of the Vietnam scheme with two of the colors changed to make it more of a Euro 1 scheme like the A-10s carried. The pattern for that is here - http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-7/a-7_profile01.shtml - and if I remember right FS 36081 replaced FS 30219 and FS 34092 replaced FS 34079.

Later,

Dave

Thanks for your help, Muzz.

I have seen some pics of the desert storm ones but i would always like to have a corsair in the 'D's colors. I have the hobby boss A-7E kit and i think it has spare parts for the A-7D version,too.

Except of the refuelling housing and the ending of the tail fin, do these two versions have any other differences?

I originally saw only three pictures, but when I previewed my reply I saw the other three. Only the one picture is of a Navy aircraft. All the rest are Air Force D models. The Navy never had any Ds. The Navy aircraft was in a non-standard scheme. The Air Force camouflage pattern can be found at http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-7/a-7_profile02.shtml. The Navy's Tactical Paint Scheme can be found in MIL-STD-2161A and consisted of FS 36320 and FS 36375, but the pattern is nothing like the Air Force used. I did a Yahoo search to find a .pdf file of the Navy spec a few years back. It hopefully is still available. The picture of the three aircraft flying over the Grand Canyon have two experimental schemes. The upper most aircraft carries a wrap-around version of the Vietnam scheme with two of the colors changed to make it more of a Euro 1 scheme like the A-10s carried. The pattern for that is here - http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-7/a-7_profile01.shtml - and if I remember right FS 36081 replaced FS 30219 and FS 34092 replaced FS 34079.

Later,

Dave

Very interesting info, Dave! Thanks a lot mate. B)

Thanks for your help, Muzz.

I have seen some pics of the desert storm ones but i would always like to have a corsair in the 'D's colors. I have the hobby boss A-7E kit and i think it has spare parts for the A-7D version,too.

Except of the refuelling housing and the ending of the tail fin, do these two versions have any other differences?

Later in their lives the A-7D had what looks like an IR sensor added beneath the intake. Wikipedia doesn't mention any IR sensor but does say they had TFR systems added so that could be for the TFR (Terrain Following Radar). Also they used an M61 Vulcan cannon. This was on the left side of the aircraft only. Navy A-7s had a 20mm cannon on each side of the nose. The last picture you have of the A-7 clearly shows no gun fairing on the right side. There could be other differences as well, but I'm not an expert on them.

Later,

Dave

A-7A's and B's had 2 x 20mm guns, the D and E had one 20mm Gatling gun. One difference between the two is the nose gear-Es have a long catapult launch bar, Ds do not have this and have two landing lights instead. The chin pod is a PAVE PENNY system-like that used by A-10s. I always liked the Corsair, ever since I was a kid

Joel

Later in their lives the A-7D had what looks like an IR sensor added beneath the intake. Wikipedia doesn't mention any IR sensor but does say they had TFR systems added so that could be for the TFR (Terrain Following Radar). Also they used an M61 Vulcan cannon. This was on the left side of the aircraft only. Navy A-7s had a 20mm cannon on each side of the nose. The last picture you have of the A-7 clearly shows no gun fairing on the right side. There could be other differences as well, but I'm not an expert on them.

Later,

Dave

Dave, the A-7Es have only one gun pod on the left side of the fuselage. Like the 'D's. I'm not sure about the M61 and 20mm guns they carry. As for the last pic, i'm now sure its a 'D' version.

Thanks a lot for your info and help! :)

A-7A's and B's had 2 x 20mm guns, the D and E had one 20mm Gatling gun. One difference between the two is the nose gear-Es have a long catapult launch bar, Ds do not have this and have two landing lights instead. The chin pod is a PAVE PENNY system-like that used by A-10s. I always liked the Corsair, ever since I was a kid

Joel

Joel, the Greek A-7Es do not have the catapult on the nose gear. We don't need it as we don't have aircraft carriers. ;) Thanks for the info about the lights and the chin pod! I hope Hobby Boss kit contains it as a spare. (I have the 'E' version No: 80345)

12581351031.jpg

PS. We also have A-7H's that do not have the refueling pod on the right of the pilot. ;)

11714103751.jpg

Thanks you all guys!!! :)

Edited by nirvanagr

That picture of the A-7H-the lights on the D's nose gear are the same as that. Also, in your A-7E pic- you can just make out the CLS lights on the left nosegear door (a traffic light type set up to show LSO's the approach angle), which again, Ds don't need. Another difference is the cable conduit which runs on both sides from the beginning of the sidewinder rail to the rear of the wing. This was fitted to E models in the 1970's but does not appear on Ds or Hs. I can take a few pictures of one of my A-7s to show you what I mean. Great to know a few of these great jets are still serving.

Joel

That picture of the A-7H-the lights on the D's nose gear are the same as that. Also, in your A-7E pic- you can just make out the CLS lights on the left nosegear door (a traffic light type set up to show LSO's the approach angle), which again, Ds don't need. Another difference is the cable conduit which runs on both sides from the beginning of the sidewinder rail to the rear of the wing. This was fitted to E models in the 1970's but does not appear on Ds or Hs. I can take a few pictures of one of my A-7s to show you what I mean. Great to know a few of these great jets are still serving.

Joel

Thanks again, Joel!

A-7H's are out of service in Greece,now. Only the 'E's are still flying.

I would appreciate it if you could take some pics to show me the differences between the D and the E.

If you mean this (cable conduit), i think it appears only in the left side of the fuselage of the 'E'.

a7e2.jpg

PS. Do you know if the A-7E Hobby Boss kit contains all the (spare) parts for the 'D' version?

Waiting for your news.

Thank you!

Edited by nirvanagr

CLS Lights on port nose gear door. Present on Greek A-7E but I would guess non-functional ( no need!) On A-7D andH, the port door is the same as the starboard side.

2012-02-05123410.jpg

The recess for the launch bar. This is faired over on the D and I'm guessing the same for Greek Es. The PAVE PENNY LST pod goes over this on the D

2012-02-05123510.jpg

The gun-M-61, the other side has an intake. On A-7A/B- it would be a Colt M-39 20mm fitted to the same area on both sides.

2012-02-05123619.jpg

Port side cable conduit-the longer of the two

2012-02-05123521.jpg

Starboard side. These were fitted late in the Vietnam War era to Es. Whether the earlier naval versions had these retro fitted, I couldn't say. Again-absent from the D

2012-02-05123637.jpg

Have a look here http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10112012 - it looks like the 'B' sprue has all the parts for a D (marked not for use). Unfortunately, the D doesn't have the instructions up!

Hope this helps a little

Joel

Edited by Bandwagon 106

IIRC, the "conduit" on the fuselage side is actually a "waveguide." EW receiver antennas pick up the signal, and it's processed through what is, essentially, a hollow tube to take it back to the receivers for processing.

The main undercarriage also differs between the "D" and the "E", as well as the cockpit. The Hellenic "H" was a down graded "E"

That seat looks like an Escapac which a version of were used on the "D" however I'm not sure what version that resin one is.

Have to go to work now but I'll look through my A7 refs later for you.

The main undercarriage also differs between the "D" and the "E", as well as the cockpit. The Hellenic "H" was a down graded "E"

That seat looks like an Escapac which a version of were used on the "D" however I'm not sure what version that resin one is.

Have to go to work now but I'll look through my A7 refs later for you.

Thank you, Scott. I'll be waiting for your news as soon as you can. ;)

Thanks to you, too, John. Very interesting site! ;)

Edited by nirvanagr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...