Fw-190 D-11

Right then, this is where we are at, due to limited paint supply I wont be able to continue major fuselage work until i get some more paint, hopefully Thursday. Until then I shall be working on the wing and the complicated landing gear mechanism.

So what have I done so far, well I'm still working on the engine, the kits engine bulkhead was a rather basic representation, so I added a fair amount of additional wires and bits to give it a busier feel. I have also scratch built the engine support bearers, now due to the shape of the engine and the partial bearers supplied, my bearers have a slight kink in them, i know this is not realistic, but its the only way I could mount them and have the whole assembly fit inside the cowl. I'm still working on them, adding more detail and then onto painting them and weathering them in. Those that are building this kit, or have built this kit will understand the amount of work that has gone into this section compared to the kit part.

Until the next update, enjoy.

SAM_1617.jpg

enginesupportc.jpg

enginesupportb.jpg

enginesupporta.jpg

arrggghhh bugger. Decided to do a test fit of everything, and it seems my left engine bearer sits about 3 mm too proud, thus making it impossible to fit the cowling cover...so...10 mins of fettling and a removal of a mounting stub and it looks like we are back in business, will post pictures tomorrow of the whole assembly test fitted.

blimey what a day, I have spent a solid 6 hours crafting the magnet ''teeth'' that will hold the front engine panel in place, so that it can easily be removable and re-attachable. All I can honestly say after doing this is...don't. just so hard to get a positive fit, and not bugger up the model, I seem to be better at scratch building then I thought as i have somehow managed it, all that's left is some serious filler to re profile some areas and a coat of paint, will post some pictures tomorrow. now I'm off for a beer.

Small update, just showing the fuse haves test fitted with the jumo installed and the magnetic teeth that will hold the panel flush to the body work. Making this section was a nightmare, involving sandwiching a layer of plastic in-between 2 coke parts, then slowly filing each one to shape, making sure that the magnet would sit in the middle, then I had to add all the magnets to each part making sure i have the polarity correct. To give you an idea of how small the magnets are they are 1mm x 1mm.... not a fun job at all. End result is the panel now sits very securely to the fuse, I'm just treating it with a large dose of filler to make sure the magnets installed on it are not visible, hopefully be able to re-profile some time today when the filler fully cures.

Overall I'm happy with the end result, never thought it would really work if I'm honest.

testyfita.jpg

testfitb.jpg

Cheers chaps, I'm now figuring out how I'm going to make a retractable undercarriage... If it all works out, this should be a pretty epic model. Must admit, I'm damned chuffed with the engine and firewall, compared with what you get in the kit its a massive improvement.

Aye, well currently being out of work means I have lots of time on my hands. Believe it or not I still have an unreal amount of work still to do, so much so infant that I'm going to have to work flat out to make the deadline. The wiring alone is going to take the better part of 2-3 days. eeek.

Still have to build up the internals of the engine bay, hopefully get some of that done tomorrow.

Cheers for the comments and watching.

{edit}

Just been having another look at my refs, any idea what the engine bay area and inner doors colour would be, likewise the gear bay looks to be the same colour, now to my eye, and my refs, the colour shout out is RLM 02. Any idea what you chaps thing, Metal finish, or RLM 02?

Edited by Moofles

Ok, here is the short answer.

November 41 it was formalised that all Luftwaffe aircraft had cockpits and canopy framing painted RLM 66 all other interior areas were to be RLM 02.

In May 42 surface interiors not exposed to external airflow were left unpainted and the cockpit would only receive one coat of 66.

Then in March 44 RLM 02 was more or less abandoned all together. And a quote from the Japo book regarding this time "on a number of Dora's it is apparent that gun and engine cowlings or wheel wells had been left unpainted in order to save time and material. "

Hope this helps.

Steve

I would go with nmf for the engine covers and bays but RLM02 for the wheel wells and undercarriage. Anything out of the airflow was left unpainted but looking at D-11 pics there certainly is a paint of some description on the landing gear legs. I also believe that FW Sorau had left over stocks of RLM02 right up to the end of the war that were being used up.

Howard