Hobby Boss 'Surcouf'

Just finished the Hobby Boss 1:350 scale model of the French cruiser submarine 'Surcouf'

Surcouf_350_01%20.JPG

The model is depicted in 1941 trim - at which time she didn't carry the Besson MB-411 spotting seaplane - so I left it off, but mounted it on a separate deck section because it looked so good.....

Surcouf_350_02%20.JPG

Surcouf_350_03%20.JPG

Surcouf_350_04%20.JPG

Launched in December 1929, at 4,373 tonnes submerged and with a length of 361ft, Surcouf was the largest submarine ever built - until the appearance of the Japanese I-400 in 1944....

Surcouf_350_05%20.JPG

Surcouf_350_06%20.JPG

Surcouf_350_07%20.JPG

Ken

Looks great. I've got this kit but as I'm no a ship guy I wasn't sure about the two tone greys, but you look like you know what you're doing, so if it's good enough for you...

I also wouldn't have known about the seaplane. At least when I include mine it'll be a knowing error now!

Steve.

That's cool, I didn't ken the floatplane wasn't used later in the boats career either, but then that is the shared knowledge which BM is good for! :thumbsup2:

I'd like to see the hobby boss & the Heller (whilst different scales) side by side to compare.

Do you get the options of time periods?

I think the two tone greys was right.

Cheers for sharing

Adam

Edited by Madam I'm Adam

That's cool, I didn't ken the floatplane wasn't used later in the boats career either, but then that is the shared knowledge which BM is good for! :thumbsup2:

I'd like to see the hobby boss & the Heller (whilst different scales) side by side to compare.

Do you get the options of time periods?

I think the two tone greys was right.

Cheers for sharing

Adam

I got all my info trawling the internet.

She had different colour schemes at different periods of her career - and the MB-411 was only used early on.

She also had a smaller conning tower early on - so if you wanted to build her in, say the 1930's, you would have to do some conversion work.

I wish HB would do some of the 'odd' British subs of the same period - HMS X.1, HMS M.1/M.2 etc

Maybe if enough people buy Surcouf, they might be encouraged......

Ken

I wish HB would do some of the 'odd' British subs of the same period - HMS X.1, HMS M.1/M.2 etc

I'm sure they'll do, their part in history is much more important than that of Surcouf, whose operationnal life was rather short, to say the least.

I'm not really into ship modelling though have done a few in the past, but this is one I could well be tempted with. I recall an encyclopedia of ships from my youth with entry for Surcouf somewhat fascinating me. Reemans book "Strike from the Sea" about a Surcouf clone "Soufriere" was a great read & perhaps an indication of the potential for Surcouf if she hadn't met her fate so tragically in the Carribean. This model would be a fine tribute to an interesting & tragic vessel ( I believe still listed as the worlds worst sub disaster) whose potential was never realised. If I could build one as well as you've done your Flankerman I'd be well pleased. :thumbsup2:

Steve.

Ken

You'll find my rants all over the place be-moaning the lack of British WW2 era submarines. I would like to see some of the workhorses, the T, S & O classes in 1/350 or 1/144. That airfix, our national company has never done them is much to it's discredit. The only ones I know of are long OOP Pit Road subjects. I do have an 'Airspede' x-craft in 1/144. Resin & a bit rough. I think Bronco and Italeri's efforts in 1/35 show what could be done with an X-craft. Hey ho :deadhorse:

As long as us sub builders keep at it maybe one day....... :tumble:

I got one of the re-issued Heller Surcoufs with resin later style conning tower as I have already built the early version. I thought 2 Surcoufs was enough but maybe I should get the HB one, as you say, just to encourage them there that there is a market for subs....well I think they know that given their range. But who's buying them? What's the geographic demography of scale model submarine sales? :hmmm:

:cheers:

Adam

Edited by Madam I'm Adam

I would like to see some of the workhorses, the T, S & O classes in 1/350 or 1/144. That airfix, our national company has never done them is much to it's discredit.

Adam

Adam,

I spoke to the guys on the Airfix stand at Telford - praising their HMS Trafalgar kit and asking if they planned any more British Subs - like the WWII T, S & O class you mention.

He replied that getting scale drawings would be a problem - to which I replied that the RN Submarine museum had loads of such plans!!!

I guess they reckon there's not enough interest - and then they bring out a set of footballers !! :doh:

Ken

Aye well...

I guess we'll have to hope that the Eastern companies get it together, I mean, there are some pretty boring Chinese subs available and who buys all those resin specimens from OkB grigorov. I'm not commenting on quality of their product, just that resin is surely a smaller market and they have a hugh range, but oldly no British subjects, and non in 1/350.

I've resigned myself to scratch building an x-craft one day....and finishing it just when the plastic one is released.

Oh and on Airfix's comment, doesn't x-25 reside in the submarine museum?

Cheers ken

Adam

and who buys all those resin specimens from OkB grigorov. I'm not commenting on quality of their product, just that resin is surely a smaller market and they have a hugh range, but oldly no British subjects, and non in 1/350.

Adam

I've purchased quite a few of the Grigorov 1/700 scale subs - they are excellent quality, but have no decals - and are expensive (the nature of limited-run resin).

Borei_01.jpg

They are starting to do 1/350 scale :- http://www.okbgrigorov.com/NAVY_1_350.htm - but again the cost puts me off.

Don't get me wrong - Grigorov's products aren't exhorbitantly priced - its just the nature of the beast.

I'm now torn between 1/700 and 1/350 scales - 1/700 allows more models and you can show development history and how one submarine compares to another.....

Allsubs.jpg

... and they're fairly easy to scratchbuild.....

HMS%20K-4_01.jpg

But the number of 1/350 scale kits is growing - and they are more detailed and impressive in this bigger scale.

Ho hum......

Ken

I have looked at your amazing collection before. Pretty darn impressive.

But I find 1/700 a bit fiddly. I started doing 1/400 when first building subs but it seems now that 1/350 is taking over but 1/144 is good too.

THe subject of scales when building subs is difficult as my 1/144 X-craft is smaller than a 1/400 Surcouf and the Trumpeter Seawolf is massive, bigger than a 1/72 Type VIIC and then the Seehund & Biber are quite small too.....

Its all such a bother... :(

So I just build them all as long as the scale is no smaller than 1/400....

Regarding the Grigorov stuff. Yes, I have read the quality is good but resin is so expensive and I am uneasy with it due to its potential health risks which make it less fun to work with and of course its vast cost. Why buy a Type 206 for £20 when they are £3.99 in Modelzone?

Cheers

Adam

Edited by Madam I'm Adam