Now part of the Royal Navy :D

Not blown away by the white ensign flag, I tried my best to get more of a drape on it using PVA glue but it wouldn't comply.

A few more details and its ready for RFI :thumbsup: 

P1050903

P1050904

P1050905

P1050906

P1050907

P1050908

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That's great Danbo. :yes:  I like those little chips on the pointy end (technical term) where it's run into flotsam in the water.  Sets it off nicely.  Now - about that stand - what have you got in mind for the finished article?

• Thanks 1

I'll probably get something done out of Perspex for it's final 

stand, why do you not like my 10 minute knock something out effort, it's a bit rustic

but serves a purpose ? 

So a little research and I found a picture of the boats crest, looks like a flying fish so I presume its a generic 

crest for the MTB fleet as I've seen the same crest on other boats?

I decided to knock something up from plastic card, lead wire and paint, I'm no artist so this is the best it will be.

P1050909

This will go on the spray deflector on the open bridge.

8015103671_ac849b5821_z

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

The boat's (ship's) crest is another nice detail.  👍

Cheers John ,  Navy terms are not my strongest forte fella, being an ex pongo ,

i did spend 6 weeks on HMS York though and I’m still damaged from that experience :blink: I do seam to remember in Navy speak a boat is a submarine ? 

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Cheers John ,  Navy terms are not my strongest forte fella, being an ex pongo ,

i did spend 6 weeks on HMS York though and I’m still damaged from that experience :blink: I do seam to remember in Navy speak a boat is a submarine ? 

Not to worry.  I've been corrected for calling MTB's boats a few times.  I figured if MTB's were ships, they would have been called MTS's. 😁

I'm attending a reunion with my training division in September, so I've got to brush up on my naval terminology soon.

As far as being damaged, I've found dark rum is the best cure.  :drink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I do seam to remember in Navy speak a boat is a submarine ? 

I served in subs for 9 years and they were 'boats' and we had a ships crest...go figure.

7 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I figured if MTB's were ships, they would have been called MTS's. 

I concur but when does a boat become a ship?

Back to the subject in hand. A very nicely built and detailed BOAT. After all that work, I'd be reluctant to put in the water.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

This is a stunningly beautiful build!

Here's a definition..."Technically speaking, a mode of water transport that weighs at least 500 tonnes or above is categorised as a ship. In comparison, boats are stipulated to be quite compact in their structural size and displacement."

I always thought it was about length, our Coaster was just over a hundred feet long. Woe betide anyone calling her a boat.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, seadog said:

Here's a definition..."Technically speaking, a mode of water transport that weighs at least 500 tonnes or above is categorised as a ship. In comparison, boats are stipulated to be quite compact in their structural size and displacement."

I always thought it was about length, our Coaster was just over a hundred feet long. Woe betide anyone calling her a boat.  

Typhoon class submarine is over 570' long and has a submerged displacement of 48000 ton...and woe betide anyone calling a ship! :rofl:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Typhoon class submarine is over 570' long and has a submerged displacement of 48000 ton...and woe betide anyone calling a ship! :rofl:

Stuart

:D  Didn't the Americans also refer to theirs as 'pig boats'...something to do with house, er,

boat, keeping.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Not to worry.  I've been corrected for calling MTB's boats a few times.

Next time poke 'em in the eye. Motor Torpedo Boat  hence MTB, Motor Gun Boat …. MGB.

@ShipbuilderMN put it nicely

A ship carries boats but a boat never carries a ship

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cheers guys :D 

So the prop prop shaft was taken out yesterday and greased up, more work done on the RC side hence the lack of photos. I also stripped the paint off the prop ready now for sea trials.

The quick turn around of this was mainly due to it being 80% done back in 2012 and me not taking the build too seriously, it was meant to be a bit of fun and a break from the 43 conversion that I started a month or so ago, so my first boat type build is now almost complete and I’ve really enjoyed it. I also have a part done HMS Illustrious sat on the shelf of doom, it might get moved up the pile for completion 

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Dan 

Cheers guys :yes:

So one last detail is the hand rail on the fore deck, I thought about not doing 

it but where is the fun in that :D

Made from brass rod and micro copper tube soldered up, same elastic thread as the rigging.

P1050914

P1050916

P1050915

P1050914

RFI pictures will go up soon :thumbsup:

Another completed build for me this year.... 

Cheers all 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work! Hoping to see a video of her chasing geese etc. ;)

On the Boat vs Ship thing there are lots of explanations.  One is that a boat can be hoisted onto a ship, another that the function of a boat happens on its deck, the function of a ship inside the vessel.

The one I always remember is that a boat heels inwards in a turn and a ship outwards.  This is to do with the centre of gravity being below the freeboard of a boat and above he freeboard of a ship.

• Thanks 1