33 sqn Tempests

Pawel Burchard

Evening gents, are there any known photos of Tempests F.2 of 33 Sqn deployed to Malaya in 1949?

B&W photo of PR533 / 5R-V on the 33 Sqn entry in 'Fighter Squadrons Of The RAF And Their Aircraft' by John Rawlings, my edition (1975) has it on P. 96. Looks quite scruffy in Airframe Silver with black anti dazzle patch

Cheers

Thanks, and what about this - http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2...AS729021/07.jpg

Does it seem probable?

Pawel, that looks like the B.A.F.O. colours on that 3 view. They were in Germany prior to going to Malaya. I have another picture of the sqn in Germany, in that camouflage, in 'Pictorial History Of The Royal Air Force' vol.3, prior to going east. Actually, it isn't quite the same because the codes look white or maybe Sky rather than the red shown on your drawings.

Cheers, Nige

B&W photo of PR533 / 5R-V on the 33 Sqn entry in 'Fighter Squadrons Of The RAF And Their Aircraft' by John Rawlings, my edition (1975) has it on P. 96. Looks quite scruffy in Airframe Silver with black anti dazzle patch

Cheers

Just spotted another one in the Warpaint (No 55) on page 27. This supposedly shows PR916 in Silver in Germany and it looks like they retained these colours on into the Malaya detachment. serials look black and codes red but hard to tell from a B&W photo.

Cheers, Nige

Thanks, and what about this - http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2...AS729021/07.jpg

Does it seem probable?

The photo on which this scheme is based appears on page 147 of "The Typhoon and Tempest Story" by Chris Thomas and Christopher Shores and is captioned as being taken in Malaya in 1951 as the aircraft is about to undertake a rocket attack.. The serial PR772 in the decal sheet is wrong as the photo shows the serial to be PR771.

The details of this dark green/dark sea grey/PRU Blue scheme on 33 Sqn Tempests are discussed in an article on the May 2004 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly.

Hi Pawel,

I have a very poor B/W photo of my dad standing next to a Tempest in Germany after the war when he was on 33 Squadron, his first posting I believe, he didn't go onto the far east though which I think he was gutted about as he used to moan that he never got a posting to anywhere hot!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Hi Pawel, yes, I can do, I need to scan it though and I only have access to a scanner at work, so next time i'm in the office i'll sort it, not sure when that will be as i've been working at home a fair bit lately.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pawel,

Photo as promised, a very young Dad with 33 Squadron Tempest II in Germany somewhere just after the war, sorry it took so long and for the poor quality!

Does anybody actually do a Tempest II in either 1/72 or 1/48?? Or can a Sea Fury be converted as I wouldn't mind doing one myself.

Cheers

Simon

tempest-72.jpg

Edited by SimonR

Does anybody actually do a Tempest II in either 1/72 or 1/48?? Or can a Sea Fury be converted as I wouldn't mind doing one myself.

There's no Tempest II in 1/48, but MDC do a conversion for the Eduard Tempest V (they do a Tempest VI as well). The castings are a little rough but they suffice. I woudn't touch the Sea Fury, as there are considerable differences in dimensions, you'd need a four-blade prop and spinner, and the Sea Fury had a higher cockpit than the Tempest. However, people have got good results by mating the business end of a Hobbycraft Sea Fury to the Eduard Tempest. If you take that route, don't forget how the leading-edge intakes are handed!

Edited by pigsty

For 1/48 I would recommend the Eduard kit with an MDC conversion set. This is what I will be doing for the Close Support GB.

• 2 weeks later...

For 1/48 I would recommend the Eduard kit with an MDC conversion set. This is what I will be doing for the Close Support GB.

[/quot

For a Berlin Airlift project, would it be all correct to do a 33 Squadron a/c in overall silver for the April 1948 time frame?