1/32 - de Havilland DH.103 Hornet by HpH - released

Homebee

It's just written here: http://amg.cdc.cz/kat130.html

"Jako "náhradu" za zruený projekt "Whirlwindu" jsme si vybrali o něco mladí letadlo Dh-103 Hornet. Bude v měřítku 1:32."
Babylon online translation Czech-British:
"As the "Compensation for "canceled the project "whirlwindu "We have chosen a little younger plane DH - 103 hornet. It will be on a scale 32."

Rumors say there's a injected plastic kit producer working on a 1/32nd Whirlwind. To be followed.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Any idea or indications why the Whirlwind was cancelled?

cheers Ali

Could have been legal issues? how much is similar between the 2 and they are getting the most out of what they had done?

Julien

• 1 year later...

Well I'm sorry but IF the artwork they are showing is any indication as to the plans they're using I don't hold much hope. The profiles are pure Huntley or the extremely similar Scale Planes (Fred Spring) Australian ones. Just look at the windscreen profile.

John

While not wanting to sound "off" here, surely the best way to achieve a really well detailed 1/32nd scale Hornet model, would have been to consult John Adams, Mark Gauntlett, John Ranson, or myself. We have all collaborated on ascertaining the most correct dimensions, shape, and colour schemes for the type and done our best to publish and build the results.

I don't know how far into kit development they are now, but I'd happily assist if asked, if nothing else to stop profile/kit makers perpetuating incorrect details and colour schemes for the past 40 years....!

• Like 1

While not wanting to sound "off" here, surely the best way to achieve a really well detailed 1/32nd scale Hornet model, would have been to consult John Adams, Mark Gauntlett, John Ranson, or myself. We have all collaborated on ascertaining the most correct dimensions, shape, and colour schemes for the type and done our best to publish and build the results.

I don't know how far into kit development they are now, but I'd happily assist if asked, if nothing else to stop profile/kit makers perpetuating incorrect details and colour schemes for the past 40 years....!

And Davids assistance would be invaluable - I speak from experience and gratitude, let alone the input of the others.

Why is it that people get windscreens wring BTW - not just the Hornet.

Jonners

Well I'm sorry but IF the artwork they are showing is any indication as to the plans they're using I don't hold much hope. The profiles are pure Huntley or the extremely similar Scale Planes (Fred Spring) Australian ones. Just look at the windscreen profile.

John

John,

I'm with you on those not so promising Colour Side Profiles. The forward part of the engine nacelles and the fin do not look right to me and I'm really not sure about those markings.....I'm no Hornet expert but those profiles simply don't add up. I really do hope that whoever is contemplating this kit in 1:32 has not gone too far down the design road and that they do consult those in the know who have generously offered to assist.

Mark

I don't think they've started the kit yet aside the box art, have pm'd John Aero regards obtaining his accurate drawings, and have also pm'd David. An associate of HpH's is an active member on LSP, here's a link to a HpH dedicated thread http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28641

Here's hoping with the help of you guys an accurate state of the art 1/32 kit will be produced.

I am prepared to help a UK company with any of my research or drawings but not eastern european commercial interests.

I'd hope that any such material can be kept here in the UK for use by UK companies rather than have it consumed for free by greedy foreign concerns who won't even acknowledge their sources but are happy to make money from it. I think many people know I'm usually very willing to help fellow enthusiasts.

I take David's point about producing an accurate kit but so many of the eastern kits are produced using drawings that were cloned from western magazines and books and just reprinted or traced in various publications during the Cold War. In recent years much of the original material has been found to have errors and inaccuracies and the clones still carry on the virus.

John

• Like 2

I am prepared to help a UK company with any of my research or drawings but not eastern european commercial interests.

I'd hope that any such material can be kept here in the UK for use by UK companies rather than have it consumed for free by greedy foreign concerns who won't even acknowledge their sources but are happy to make money from it. I think many people know I'm usually very willing to help fellow enthusiasts.

I take David's point about producing an accurate kit but so many of the eastern kits are produced using drawings that were cloned from western magazines and books and just reprinted or traced in various publications during the Cold War. In recent years much of the original material has been found to have errors and inaccuracies and the clones still carry on the virus.

John

Wow

So you only buy Airfix and Hornby, and nothing from abroad?

I cannot believe I have just read that.

Nicholas Mayhew

Hello,

The Hornet is one of my favorite aircraft! I've been gathering information and drawings to scratch build a 1/32nd model.

I didn't realize that the Huntley drawings were wrong. Could one of the more knowledgable members help me understand where they are "off" or, better still, point me in the direction of a set of accurate drawings for my model?

Thank you in advance!

Al Keller

[email protected]

Wow

So you only buy Airfix and Hornby, and nothing from abroad?

I cannot believe I have just read that.

Nicholas Mayhew

If someone wants to help UK companies (and as mentioned in this context, for free) in preference that's ok isn't it?! Most people wouldn't offer the help to anyone at all...

Sorry (I do try to ignore these type of comments), but to tell someone who they can and can't offer their help and time to is a bit much.

If someone wants to help UK companies (and as mentioned in this context, for free) in preference that's ok isn't it?! Most people wouldn't offer the help to anyone at all...

Sorry (I do try to ignore these type of comments), but to tell someone who they can and can't offer their help and time to is a bit much.

I too try to ignore comments such as yours, but hey I'll make an exception

Frankly, to label all 'foreigners' as 'greedy' is just downright rude, to say nothing of blinkered, oh and utter nonsense to boot.

Really???

I too try to ignore comments such as yours, but hey I'll make an exception

Frankly, to label all 'foreigners' as 'greedy' is just downright rude, to say nothing of blinkered, oh and utter nonsense to boot.

Really???

Well, you felt the need to completely ignore the point I made and respond to something else instead :) So we'll settle on that shall we

Just to close this unpleasantness caused by someone with dislexiya. If, I take 5 years and a lot of trouble to do some research I will make it available to who I damn well like.. For the record I have supplied drawings and information (free) to Czech companies before and they couldn't even be bothered to say thank you anywhere.. Nowhere did I accuse "all foreigners" of being greedy but I did refer to foreign companies who in my experience are. And who mentioned specific UK companies, I didn't. I gave one UK company certain drawings only last weekend. and I assisted another UK company only a couple of weeks ago but you don't need to know who they are.

John

• Like 6