1/32 - Lockheed F-104G/S Starfighter by Italeri - released - new upgraded RF-104G boxing released

Homebee

An Italian trumpeter ?

No, fortunately not ! The Italeri 104 from what I've seen only has minor inaccuracies, there's nothing in this kit of the glaring errors that can be seen in some Trumpeter/Hobbyboss efforts. A few errors in the panel lines, wheels, missile launchers... IMHO these are minor points. That of course are annoying considering the price tag

At the same I could say no, unfortunately not: while accuracy on trumpeter kits can be hit and miss, the quality of the moulds is usually high, something that can't be said of the latest Italeri products... and to be honest it can't be said of any of Italeri's own products from the last 20 or so years....

Where we have similarities is in the decals though: the accuracy of Italeri's decals is often questionable and looks like they made errors in this kit too. In the same way as trumpeter decals are very often quite inaccurate

• Like 2

An Italian trumpeter ?

No, fortunately not ! The Italeri 104 from what I've seen only has minor inaccuracies, there's nothing in this kit of the glaring errors that can be seen in some Trumpeter/Hobbyboss efforts. A few errors in the panel lines, wheels, missile launchers... IMHO these are minor points. That of course are annoying considering the price tag

At the same I could say no, unfortunately not: while accuracy on trumpeter kits can be hit and miss, the quality of the moulds is usually high, something that can't be said of the latest Italeri products... and to be honest it can't be said of any of Italeri's own products from the last 20 or so years....

Where we have similarities is in the decals though: the accuracy of Italeri's decals is often questionable and looks like they made errors in this kit too. In the same way as trumpeter decals are very often quite inaccurate

A fair point. Having only seen the pictures, the kit seems to be a well engineered kit with a good level of detail. That is all I ask of any kit. I couldn't care less about what are often very trivial matters that, in any case, won't even be noticed unless you go looking for them. I don't & never will. The most annoying thing for me is the price tag. It's simply unaffordable for me . Otherwise, I might have bought a couple (or three!! :lol: ).

As to whether the alleged AFV kit will be any "better" is a moot point. "Better" is a very subjective term and will largely be defined by the individual modeller. If it's cheaper, I'll buy it instead unless we see a spectacular drop in the Italeri kit price. I have seen this kit described as "unbuildable" due to its "many inaccuracies". I suggest this is nonsense. I do not believe there is any such thing as an unbuildable kit. The only thing making a kit "unbuildable" is, in my view, the negative attitude of the modeller(s) concerned.

This model DOES feature on a short list of possible christmas prezzies that I have presented to my partner after her suggestion we visit my local model emporium.!! I hope she makes the right choice!! It's actually number 3 on the list!! :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Personally, as a scale modeller, the kit's price is the only thing that keeps me away from buying it!

On the other hand, I like the challenge that I have to correct some faults - no matter what were the reasons that have lead Italeri not to fix them - because it makes my work more interesting. Will it take time from finishing other builds I have on my desk? Yes, but I don't mind because every scale model that I build makes me feel better.

Will I consider to buy the AFV kit instead of the Italeri? Only if the price is right!

I have not read all of your previous comments so I apologize if this has already being said...

The F-104 is one of my all time favorites:

For example, I have 14 1/48 scale F-104 from Hasegawa out of a total of 25 F-104 related kits in my collection in different scales.

So lets just say this kit from Italeri WAS on the top of my "to get" list.

I can get this kit for around 150$ CAD (75 pounds)

Should we be picky ? At this price, IMHO, yes.

Should we be disappointed? At this price, IMHO, yes.

For example, Tamiya's Corsair sells for about the same price here in Canada... and it redefined the standards for model airplanes in 1/ 32 ...
IMHO, at the same price, Italeri's 104 does not offer much that's new !

Although to make the "S" version it is the best :
-Martin- Baker Seat
-Larger S type intake (but epic fail for the auxiliary intake doors - possible rescribe?)
-Additional ventral Wings of "S" included
-Aspide (European Sparrow )
-MLG bulged doors

But for the rest (CF-104 , F-104G , F-104J ) it is not really better than the other kits ...
Ok the Electronics bay behind the pilot was not done by Hasegawa, but Italeri's is too basic...

I took out my Hasegawa kit and I thoroughly examined it and compared it to the Italeri kit photos:
-M61 Vulcan: not better than Hasegawa's ...
-J79 not much better than Hasegawa's ...
The only "fault" apparent (if you can call it that) with Hasegawa's is the raised panel lines.

Hasegawa cockpit is basic but Squadron offers a good resin cockpit (true details ) for $ 15

The Hasegawa kit plus True details cockpit have cost me around $ 60 in total ...
I will not buy the Italeri
kit to replace it at $ 150... :mental:

Re - scribe the Hasegawa kit to my taste = 4 hours.
The Italeri kit is engraved but not perfectly , is that the worth $ 90 more?

The right fuselage ingraving does not match the left side?????

Unforgivable for ANY kit manufacturer
The scribing issue is kind of a deal breaker for me

Ok lookwise the Hasegawa canopy might be too wide by 1 mm and a bit flat? :hmmm:

Not sufficient to make a case ...

150$ for Italeri AND you must purchase at minimum correct resin wheels so an ADDITIONAL $ 15... :doh:
For me it's not worth the price of $ 150.

I might consider it at 70-75$ (half of what they are asking for it now)

I guess It is up to all of us to decide if it is worth it !

• Like 2

150$ for Italeri AND you must purchase at minimum correct resin wheels so an ADDITIONAL $ 15... :doh:

For me it's not worth the price of $ 150.

I might consider it at 70-75$ (half of what they are asking for it now)

I guess It is up to all of us to decide if it is worth it !

And that of course is the nub of the matter. Price will settle the issue for most of us. Personally, I wouldn't even waste more money on wheels though. With a UK rrp round the £90 mark, I'd be looking for a drop in price to about £50 ( or lower!!) before I'd consider buying this. Even the Hasegawa kit can be picked up for around the £50 mark or less.At nearly twice the price, I don't reckon the Italeri kit will be twice as nice!!

Of course, if someone were to GIVE me one as a Christmas prezzie, that's DIFFERENT!! :lol:

Allan

• Like 2

You two nailed it. The price implies that the kit is qualitywise in the Tamiya league (though I bet a 1:32 F-104 from Tamiya would be cheaper in their home market than the Italeri offering). In this price range one should provide a perfect model regarding shape, dimensions, panellines/rivets and cockpit plus wheelwells. Open panels are great - but should be the icing on the cake. I prefer to get the other things right first before to bother about gadgets like seperate engine. But from what I see in pictures and reviews (so not first hand) is average cockpit U/C detailing. Eventually it looks better in real life but I think not.

So I will wait for AFV now and if their F-104 is not according to my tase I go on with my Revell boxing - which is awful I confess.

Just wonder. Maybe Italeri underestimates the review pages in the internet. Whenever I pull an old Magazine out and see a review in there I wonder how good marks some kits get. I wonder how many more F-104s would be sold without the internet than are now... I mean I waited for this release ever since Italeri announced it and now I would not do so at 50% sale price.

Rene

I, too, had been waiting a very long time for this model, with eager anticipation. Am strictly 1/32 these days.

I believe it will still be a stunner given sufficient time and care, including removing unwanted round-head rivets and selective filling in and rescribing, but it's a back-burner item now given the necessary AM required, particularly G engine nozzle and metal landing gear - and possibly a replacement radome - pending the AFV release.

Too many other new items to ponder at present, including the very crisp and simple-to-make HKM F.4 Meteor + Fisher F.8 etc conversion sets for said 'meatbox', and the Revell Tornado re-pop at half the price of the Italeri Zipper.

Seeing some F-104G/S models built-up and painted, and some substitute metal gear from SAC or G-Factor, might draw me in again sooner though.

Tony T

• Like 1

I, too, had been waiting a very long time for this model, with eager anticipation. Am strictly 1/32 these days.

I believe it will still be a stunner given sufficient time and care, including removing unwanted round-head rivets and selective filling in and rescribing, but it's a back-burner item now given the necessary AM required, particularly G engine nozzle and metal landing gear - and possibly a replacement radome - pending the AFV release.

Too many other new items to ponder at present, including the very crisp and simple-to-make HKM F.4 Meteor + Fisher F.8 etc conversion sets for said 'meatbox', and the Revell Tornado re-pop at half the price of the Italeri Zipper.

Seeing some F-104G/S models built-up and painted, and some substitute metal gear from SAC or G-Factor, might draw me in again sooner though.

Tony T

I believe it will look stunning REGARDLESS! After all, it is simply the sexiest aeroplane ever!! :lol: . I don't do aftermarket parts and I would build straight from the box anyway. Price is the deciding factor as always with me.

Allan

ps - just as an aside, I've never forgotten the conversation I had with a German pilot at Fairford many years ago. He said (with a broad grin!). "This aeroplane is just like woman. Capricious,bad tempered, tricky to handle and totally unforgiving of mistakes. However, treat her right and she will give you the best ride of your life" Clearly this was a man who loved his job!

• 1 month later...

Before I give into despair or sell all my library and remaining stash to get one I want to see one actually built as opposed to dissected... I built one of those Monogram B-58s ( a present) and while it was a bit of a pig in some areas, it brushed up a treat. As has been said though #89 is a chunk of dosh.

We'll see.

Before I give into despair or sell all my library and remaining stash to get one I want to see one actually built as opposed to dissected... I built one of those Monogram B-58s ( a present) and while it was a bit of a pig in some areas, it brushed up a treat. As has been said though #89 is a chunk of dosh.

We'll see.

Surely the Italeri F-104 can be build into a masterpiece... as any kit in the right hands :-D

From my point of view all those flaws reported concerning the Italeri F-104 are correctable and would be maybe nitpicking IF the retail price would be in a 30 - 50 quit region (my personal view). But so it is a not so premium kit in a very premium price range. Some may be happy with it - I am not but no reason to jump out of the window. I will wait for AFV or resume my very basic Revell F-104...

Surely the Italeri F-104 can be build into a masterpiece... as any kit in the right hands :-D

From my point of view all those flaws reported concerning the Italeri F-104 are correctable and would be maybe nitpicking IF the retail price would be in a 30 - 50 quit region (my personal view). But so it is a not so premium kit in a very premium price range. Some may be happy with it - I am not but no reason to jump out of the window. I will wait for AFV or resume my very basic Revell F-104...

Sure. I imagine the kit will be available for a good while, so waiting to see what pitches up etc. is probably best. Anyone have any idea when the AFV kit might actually pitch up?

It is announced for this year. As AFV already showed CAD drawings (but not very detailed ones) end of November on their Facebook page, I think they will keep their planned release this year.

On Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950441-132nd-lockheed-f-104-starfigfhter-by-afv-club-release-in-2014/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

New boxing on approach - ref. 2514 - Lockheed RF104G Starfighter "Recce" (upgraded edition)

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/lockheed-rf104g-starfighter-recce-upgraded-edition-2514-italeri-8001283025140-netherlands-military/product/?action=prodinfo&art=153667

Lockheed RF104G Starfighter

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=750

F-104 G/S (UPGRADED EDITION RF VERSION) 1:32 SCALE - COMING SOON

resizeWidth.asp?path=2514_tavola(1).jpg&width=280

Dear Friends,

we are proud to show you the preview of our new incoming 1:32 scale model kit dedicated to the F-104 G/S Starfighter (upgraded edition). In our new scale model kit is included the Orpheus Recon Pod to build up the “RF” version. Our new scale model kit will be characterised, as our latest production, by the highest level of quality and details. The two huge decal sheets include 8 possible versions. The new kit will include photo-etched details able to ensure the highest realism level. The F-104G/S - Upgraded Edition (num. 2514) will be released in May.

Historical Profile

The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter is one of the most famous fighters in the history of aviation and also one with the longest operational life: its history began at the end of the 50s and ended, for some air forces, in mid 2000s. Its unique airframe, with slender fuselage and very little wing surface, made this aircraft ideal as an interceptor. Thanks to the thrust of its General Electric J79-GE-11A afterburning turbojet engine, it could exceed Mach 2,2 with an excellent rate of climb. But it was not very manoeuvrable and difficult to pilot. The F-104G Starfighter was produced on license by several European aviation industries. From the mid-60s, it became the standard interceptor for many NATO countries including Italy, Germany, Holland, Greece, and Turkey. The armament was basically the same found on previous versions, with a 20mm Vulcan cannon and the option to fit under the wings air-to-air missiles, bombs, or additional fuel tanks to increase the airplane's range. With time, reconnaissance duties were added to the traditional interceptor service. The F-104G was therefore equipped with a dedicated “Orpheus” reconnaissance external pod that gave excellent operational results.

2514-versione-A.jpg

2514-versione-B.jpg

2514-versione-C.jpg

2514-versione-D.jpg

2514-versione-E.jpg

2514-versione-F.jpg

2514-versione-G.jpg

2514-versione-H.jpg

2514_decal_A.jpg

2514_decal_B.jpg

2514_PE.jpg

2514-Pod-orpheus-det.jpg

2514-Pod-Orpheus1.jpg

2514-Pod-Orpheus2.jpg

Box and Features

2514-F104_Features.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

Great news! Never thought I would see a 1/32 F-104 with early RF-104 camera housings OOB. Some scratch building headaches saved there for sure. 

'Finely engraved recessed panel lines and rivets'---Hopefully this means new fuselages halves (in a similar requirement to the new TF-104G) with better panel lines as that would turn a rather average kit into a pretty damn good one imo. Given it's RRP will be around that of a Tamiya 1/32 F-16, I hope so! 

The decals for AG 52 'EB+103' look good to me also (they even included the correct starboard rescue stencils to this particular jet-http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/eb103.htm) which is better than the original F-104G boxing, cannot comment on the rest however. 

Edited by mirageiv

33 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Hopefully this means new fuselages halves (in a similar requirement to the new TF-104G) with better panel lines

I don't believe in this, the mold is certainly the same quality.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, onosendai said:

I don't believe in this, the mold is certainly the same quality.

I think this also tbh, merely optimism on my part in my post! I suppose they would make a bigger announcement of it, if it were the case. 

The release of the TF-104G will likely be the same CAD fuselage with the TF-104 front also. Because of these fuselage panel lines I still prefer the much older Hasegawa kit to work with as a base. The best F-104 in 1/32 is probably still a hybrid/kitbash of the two if wanting the perfect representation in model form to iron out the inaccuracies of both. 

The Italeri kit was originally meant to be in cooperation with Revell Germany (which I assume would have had more finesse imparted by Revell), they pulled out but it isn't totally off the cards from Revell to release a new kit someday when I spoke to them. Well, before all the current financial implications. 

3 hours ago, onosendai said:

As widely expected, no Vicon RCAF

Well, that's more or less correct. The decals are for a Cold Lake one during the symmetrical markings era, which started in 1973, and the recce role was pretty much over by 1972. Still, why they include this option in a recce dedicated boxing is a bit of a puzzle.