1/48 F-14, Royal Air Force

love the way this is looking - I'll admit to wanting to play around with RAF and RN 'cats one day - not soon but one day so I will ruthessly steal your ideas....

love the way this is looking - I'll admit to wanting to play around with RAF and RN 'cats one day - not soon but one day so I will ruthessly steal your ideas....

Thanks mate. Should have a decent bit of progress to show tomorrow. Fire away with the ideas, it is a 'whif' after all! :lol:

A bit more done this afternoon. Majority of the little paint jobs done: nav lights, ECM parts, fuel dump valve, chin pod sensors, windscreen and yellow on the antennae. I also highlighted the panel lines and decided to paint a few panels a different shade of grey, to represent replacement panels, as seen on the Tornado GR4 force:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Pa...2cbffe1be3353a9

Not as many as the above GR4, but you get the idea!! FOD guards also went in:

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

There's still a few rough edges and rogue pencil marks but that is easy to tidy up!

Next up the landing gear and weathering (and whatever else i can think of :lol: )

More to follow.

'freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

I digressed slightly from my original plan for today...instead i put the decals on. Now, i was in 2 minds about what to do here. My first thought was low viz, no squadron markings etc etc as per the Harriers and later Tornadoes in Afghanistan. However, i thought this may be a bit of a waste on the F-14. So without going overboard, i thought about the markings seen on Op Telic...nose art, sharks mouths and what have you. I pulled out a mixture of Model Alliance decals from the spares and got cracking. Here's what i came up with...

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

Wings:

IMG_2077.jpg

And the last of the ordnance:

IMG_2076.jpg

What do you think?

Landing gear is on and will be left to cure for at least 12 hours.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Mate,

Awesome! I must admit I had my doubts about a RAF f-14, but this looks ace!

Thanks Ruari.

To be honest mate, so did I! Had visions of it looking a bit daft but i'm quite pleased thus far. It is a 'whif' after all :lol:

the decals start to make it come to life *im not a great whiffer" but this floats my boat.

Thanks mate. Have to say, i'm just glad it doesn't look daft!

Edited by DaveJL

An hour and a bit today just spent sticking bits on! The landing gear and doors were added after yesterday's update and had cured nicely by the time i got home from work at 15.00 today. First thing i did was add some light (ish) weathering to the jet. I should also note that i painted 3 of the gear doors dark grey, like the sections on the fuselage, just to break it up a bit:

On her own three feet (note the wing glove pylons are attached):

IMG_2078.jpg

Weathering on the upper surfaces:

IMG_2079.jpg

Arrestor hook and rear Paveways attached:

IMG_2081.jpg

All the ordnance (wheelbays still need weathered):

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

A couple of forward angles:

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

For the Tomcat FGR.1, the Brimstone launch sequence was modified in a way that the missiles 'dropped' several feet (to clear the intakes) before the motor engaged, much like the AIM-54 back in the USN days.

I'm leaving off the red edging of the gear doors as i've yet to see an RAF aircraft with them. Seems to be a USN only thing, but i could be wrong. (happy to be corrected!!) Wings are on as I type this and will be left to cure until tomorrow.

Next up is the horizontal stabilisers, ejection seats and antennae.

More to follow.

'freezer'

Edited by DaveJL