1/48 F-14, Royal Air Force

• 3 weeks later...

As the blackbox parts for my VF-32 entry are yet to arrive, i thought i'd crack on with this one in the meantime. I decided to build this mainly OOB, with the majority of modifications to bring the F-14 to 'RAF spec' being made by myself. First up the cockpit. In the front, i added a extra MFD to the right and a new PTID in the back (though this is from Steel Beach!)

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

The main tub. Side column is also from Steel Beach:

IMG_1864.jpg

Added a small etched part to the front right cockpit to represent a 'moving map' or radar or something!!:

IMG_1877.jpg

Completed tub (missed a few bits of grey with the brush-these need tidied up):

IMG_1876.jpg

and control panels:

IMG_1875.jpg

Fuselage built up:

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

Found these in the stash:

IMG_1868.jpg

So that means i don't need to do the intakes! :partytime:

Shrouds will filler applied to get them to GE-110 spec (still need sanded and smoothed off):

IMG_1867.jpg

Ordnance built up:

IMG_1869.jpg

The fins on the Brimstones will need fixed as most of them are broke. Finally for today i made up the wing glove plyons, adding the BOL rails along with my mediocre attempt to devise an AGM-65 launch station:

IMG_1871.jpg

The AGM-65 launcher is simply a bit of old resin, sanded and shaped to fit the sparrow pylon on the starboard hardpoint.

That's all for now.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

Some sweet mods there Freezer, like it a lot! Where did you source Brimstones from?

Rip-Cord

Thanks Ruari. Some more to come, just stuff that pops into my head! :lol:

Brimstones are from Aviation Workshop and come in packs of 12. They are very nice but half the missiles i got had broken fins. Not sure what their availability is now with the recent troubles at the Aviation Workshop, but they are definitely worth a try!

I shouldn't think so as lomg as the weapon fit looks realistic rather than fanciful.

it looks ok in my head :lol:

i'm adapting the pylons and adding an extra one...could go either way!

A bit more done. Cockpit tidied up and throttle lever made from a piece of sprue:

IMG_1878.jpg

The finished RIO's (or that should maybe be WSO in this case) control panel:

IMG_1886.jpg

Added another bit of etch to the left to represent a weapons layout/selection screen. Next up was the closing of the front fuselage, addition of nosecone and both the front and rear control panel covers:

IMG_1890.jpg

A look inside:

IMG_1891.jpg

GPS dome added to upper fuselage:

IMG_1889.jpg

Test fitting the AGM-65 launcher:

IMG_1882.jpg

By pure chance, the resin pylon angles downward slightly which looks more realistic (i hope!!!) Also tried the DJRP adaptor (formally the LANTIRN pylon back in the USN days....)

IMG_1892.jpg

Not too bad.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

The new DJRP fit looks good ! Will be interesting to see this one, sounds like you're applying a very mixed warload !

Thanks Giorgio. Yes i'm going for pretty much every weapon the RAF uses! The hope being that it will be the ultimate 'swing role'/CAS aircraft - 2x Paveway IV's, 1x Paveway II, 3x Dual Mode Brimstone, 1x AGM-65....

couldn't quite get a Storm Shadow or ALARM in :lol:

Looking great Dave, good add with the throttle, really rounds your great 'pit out. Nice loadout, that would have some spotters scratching their heads!

Thanks mate. Hoping the load-out and modifications i have in mind don't look daft!

• Like 1

The new DJRP fit looks good ! Will be interesting to see this one, sounds like you're applying a very mixed warload !

Agreed, nice idea Dave.

Looks like that adaptor was made for it!

Quick question, are you going to make a longer rail for the AGM-65?. The real thing plugs into the aircraft rail at the rear of the missile

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Agreed, nice idea Dave.

Looks like that adaptor was made for it!

Quick question, are you going to make a longer rail for the AGM-65?. The real thing plugs into the aircraft rail at the rear of the missile

Shaun.

Good point there Shaun. I still need to add the top rail on the missile itself. Might have to fashion some other sort of launcher

A little more progress today. Firstly i added the forward fuselage to the main fuselage:

IMG_1898.jpg

The fit underneath on this one is crap to say the least:

IMG_1899.jpg

The fit of these parts can vary. The last two 'cats i have made, the fit was spot on! I removed the locating point of the rear antennae on the upper fuselage as i plan to edit the fit slightly:

IMG_1897.jpg

Next i moved onto the AGM-65 station. I modified a launch rail from a hasegawa weapon set and added it to my attempt at the 'adaptor'

IMG_1894.jpg

Thoughts on this?

Added the the rear weapons stations and Steel Beach pallets (bit heavy on the glue!)

IMG_1903.jpg

Test fit of the ordnance that will sit in the rear:

IMG_1900.jpg

Finally, i crudely fixed the broken fins on the Brimstones with plastic card:

IMG_1895.jpg

Next up is to get the fit around the cockpit sorted along with probably the biggest airframe modification that i have in mind!

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

Sweet update, I had the same fuselage join problem with my 'Cat - thank goodness the Phoenix pallet will cover it up!

Thanks mate. I may have a bit of a problem with the pallets...(all will be revealed soon!)