1/48 F-14, Royal Air Force

Hello all,

Well i've been toying with the idea of doing another F-14 in a 'what-if' guise for the Royal Air Force. I've just got another kit (cheers Joel!) and plan to enter this after the VF-84, VX-9 and VF-32 entries. (I think i'm being a bit optimistic and over ambitious here!!)

Anyhoo, here is my idea and background for the RAF F-14.....

After the retirement of the Harrier, delays in the Typhoon becoming fully air to ground capable and constant pressure on the Tornado GR4 force, the RAF needed a cheap, yet capable, airframe to fill the void and relieve some of the pressure on the Tornados. With budget cuts and delays in the JSF, leasing aircraft was seen as the most cost affective way of achieving this. After some searching and head scratching, the answer came from an obscure source. The US Navy, agreed to lease 8 of the youngest of the retired F-14's that were sitting in AMARC awaiting disposal. A few weeks of maintenance and repairs brought them back up to standard. But the RAF wanted more. After a few pilots had a flight in the Tomcat, they realised it's potential, despite being retired by the USN and suggested that the RAF/MOD upgrade these airframes further. 5 months later and at a relatively low cost, the first Tomcat for the RAF was unveiled. It became the F-14DM (modernised), or Tomcat FGR.1.

Modifications included a new comms suite, a new radar/ map system (similar to TARDIS), ability to carry SNIPER pod, use DJRP, employ Brimstone, Maverick, Paveway II and IV.

The 8 jets were deployed to Afghanistan in January 2012 to supplement the Tornado GR4 force. They few with 13SQN markings. (or some nice and colourful anniversary markings from some squadron if i can source them! I have 13 SQN in the spares :lol: )

I know it's a bit far fetched, but it's the best i could come up with!!

Edited by DaveJL

Nice one Dave, great idea!

How about changing the bang seats to MB Mk10 or Mk12s to bring the kit in line with RAF spec??

Just a thought

Saint

Didn't think of that Phil. Could be an idea, although i do have some resin NACES seats in the spares :whistle:

Interesting idea ! Are these FGR.1 painted in the standard RAF greys ? Wonder if some colour would be allowed on the tails (probably not as RAF jets in action tend to lose any squadron identity)

I'm toying with the idea. I'm putting full squadron markings on it (despite them heading out to Kandahar)

Would like to add some colour to the overall medium sea grey!! Any ideas?

• Like 1

Not strictly colour but some replacement US grey panels might be cool, and a possibility!

Like the Tornados? I was thinking that, but then again if these aircraft were just 'fresh' out of painting and upgrading, i'm not sure there would be replacement panels if you see what i mean

Nice one Dave, great idea!

How about changing the bang seats to MB Mk10 or Mk12s to bring the kit in line with RAF spec??

Just a thought

Saint

If the RAF was looking for something on the cheap, would they not keep the existing seats like they did with the american Phantoms?

If the RAF was looking for something on the cheap, would they not keep the existing seats like they did with the american Phantoms?

Partly the reason i didn't plan on changing them and partly because i have some resin aftermarket naces seats in the spares!

Agree on the seats, the NACES are quite modern seats anyway, so I see no reason the RAF would have replaced them

Colour wise, what about changing squadron and giving the big cat to one of the former Harrier units, especially 4 Sqn ? You could make a CO aircraft with the red/black/yellow tails and squadron bars around the roundel, very colourful.

If you are set on 13 Sqn, something very cool (and very un-RAF like) would be to have the squadron decide to follow USN practice and paint a big squadron insignia on the tails, hi-vis for the CO and low-vis for the rest of the aircrafts.

Or you could jump ahead in time 3 years from now and make a 100th anniversary aircraft, with tails similar to the ones used on the Tornado for the 90th anniversary.. now that would be colourful !!!

http://wiki.scramble.nl/index.php/File:Tor...Sean_Wilson.jpg

Agree on the seats, the NACES are quite modern seats anyway, so I see no reason the RAF would have replaced them

Colour wise, what about changing squadron and giving the big cat to one of the former Harrier units, especially 4 Sqn ? You could make a CO aircraft with the red/black/yellow tails and squadron bars around the roundel, very colourful.

If you are set on 13 Sqn, something very cool (and very un-RAF like) would be to have the squadron decide to follow USN practice and paint a big squadron insignia on the tails, hi-vis for the CO and low-vis for the rest of the aircrafts.

Or you could jump ahead in time 3 years from now and make a 100th anniversary aircraft, with tails similar to the ones used on the Tornado for the 90th anniversary.. now that would be colourful !!!

http://wiki.scramble.nl/index.php/File:Tor...Sean_Wilson.jpg

Another nice idea.

I'm just basing everything on things i have in the spares box at the moment, including the decals. I'm open to donations of course :lol:

Some pictures of the parts i've dug out of the spares...

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Aviation workshop Brimstones (some of the fins have broke though), AMRAAM Line Paveway ll, AMRAAM Line BOL rails, one of Sean's DJRP pods, Italeri dumb bomb, Steal Beach PTID screen and control column, wolfpack late type wheels...

IMG_1614.jpg

...Hasegawa Sniper pod, Hasegawa AGM-65 Maverick, Kinetic GBU-12's (Paveway IV's with a bit of work) and Aires NACES seats.

Here is the initial scheme i planned:

IMG_1616.jpg

...but i forgot i had this colourful scheme too...

IMG_1615.jpg

12 SQN off the model Alliance Tornado sheet. I can picture this on a 'cat....

I know 12 SQN still has it's GR4's, but the F-14's could be a supplement....

Might have to bring this build forward a bit!

Cheers

'Freezer'

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here are the pictures of the bits and pieces:

The kit (you've seen it all before!!)

IMG_1742.jpg

The aftermarket:

IMG_1741.jpg

Steel beach bomb racks, master pitot tube, Dr Pepper resin nozzles (though i might pinch these for another build) and model alliance decals, from which, i think i will use this scheme:

IMG_1615.jpg

The weapons and layout. Imagine looking at a 'cat upside down!

IMG_1740.jpg

From left to right: DJRP, 2x Paveway IV, Sniper, 3x Brimstone, Paveway II and AGM-65.

I want to try and create the ultimate 'swing role' jet for the RAF! :lol:

Will hopefully make a start in the next few weeks.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Mavericks on a Tomcat, the designer must be turning in his grave. Nice idea though Dave.

I know it's not overly realistic, but i do remember reading that the F-14 was scheduled to be fitted for HARM in the mid 1990's so i thought why not!

Also, the name goes nicely with everyones favourite aviator :lol:

I know it's not overly realistic, but i do remember reading that the F-14 was scheduled to be fitted for HARM in the mid 1990's so i thought why not!

Also, the name goes nicely with everyones favourite aviator :lol:

true but i fear for the goose unless your making an internal weapons bay