revell b747-200 E-4B airborne command post

pperkins

I just ordered one of these and a decal sheet for a Kalitta paintscheme. Apart from having to scribe the hinging nose, would this kit include the correct engines? I am a complete noob when it comes to airliners, I just love short upper deck 747's so I am looking to see if I enjoy building this one. If I do I have a lot of others I want to do like a Evergreen one, KLM Cargo, Martinair, UPS ...

I just ordered one of these and a decal sheet for a Kalitta paintscheme. Apart from having to scribe the hinging nose, would this kit include the correct engines? I am a complete noob when it comes to airliners, I just love short upper deck 747's so I am looking to see if I enjoy building this one. If I do I have a lot of others I want to do like a Evergreen one, KLM Cargo, Martinair, UPS ...

Kalitta use the PW engine, and the E-4B comes with the GE engine. BraZ do a set of resin PW engines.

If you want to do a KLM Cargo or Martinair scheme, the E-4B has the engine you want.

As far as I know, the UPS 747 classics all use the PW engine.

conversions to the -300

Ok stop...

halt...

wait....

hang on a minnit!

the 747-300 can be a strange beast - as Tom said, it does NOT have the wing tip extension that the -400 has.

So you cannot just leave the winglets off a revell 747-400 to get a -300.

But....

Boeing made a number of changes to the 747-300 line as they were being built....

Some -300's have the same engines as the -400; like Thai, who had two aircraft.

Some -300's have the -400 wing root fairing, but older engines, including some of Cathay Pacific's -300's

and dont forget that some of KLM's 747-300's are not -300's at all but are actually 747-200's retrofitted with stretched upper decks by Boeing.

So before you go mad hacking and sawing and thinking your converting....dont make any sweeping statements about what you have to do to make a 747-300.

Look it up! Go check references and sites like airliners.net and dont forget to check the registration of the aircraft you are doing to make sure it actually is a -300

have fun anyway....but have fun slowly...ok?

:)

Kalitta use the PW engine, and the E-4B comes with the GE engine. BraZ do a set of resin PW engines.

If you want to do a KLM Cargo or Martinair scheme, the E-4B has the engine you want.

As far as I know, the UPS 747 classics all use the PW engine.

Cool I'll have a look for the Braz engines. Love the Kalitta paintscheme :) Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Lieuwe

Ill sell you one lol did the AN-124 drop it's load today?

Haha might take u up on that if it doesn't turn up soon!!

Nah not today fella, possibly tomorrow. Need to invest in a cricket cup for added protection from the other half when it does!!

no you use the whole of the b747-400 kit but dont add the wingtips

For all but the last few -300s, you need to extend the upper deck on the -200. When -400 production started in 1988, the last few -300s on the books were built with -400 tooling, resulting in the wing root leading edge extensions being present. Otherwise they look like other -200s and -300s. So you have to check photos of the specific -300 you're after in order to know. If it has -400 wing root fairings, go (grudgingly) with the Revell -400 (or the new Dragon -400) with older engines. If not, go with the E-4B and an extended upper deck.

Then there are the KLM 747-200SUDs, which were well and truly -200s converted to -300s. I was on the plant floor at Everett with a friend who was a retiree from Boeing when they were cutting the top off the first one - with gigantic rotary saws! Sparks were a flyin'! :)

J

I've made a start with my E-4B and I have a couple of questions,

I have been looking at various Kalitta machines and the thing that struck me is that most of them dont appear to have the fold up nose. Is this correct or am I just not seeing the seam because the planes are quite clean?

How would I best go about filling the windows? I think sticking the decals over the openings will look ugly so I was thinking about buying some evergreen plastic card from the LHS. Sticking a strip of that in side of the hull over the windows and using car body filler over the outside to fill in the remaining dents. Sound plan? Also I am thinking about sanding off all the raised panel lines and rescribing a few that are quite prominent on the pictures I have seen on airliners.net. The machines are so clean few panel lines stand out, only the doors and stuff.

Does anyone have a good website to educate a noob about the differences between various 747 versions?

Sorry to ask these many questions!

The only 747s with cargo noses are the dedicated, purpose built freighters. Kalitta's, as far as I know were all converted passenger aircraft.

To fill windows quickly and completely, try this: cut out each group of windows along the fuselage. Square up the openings with a file. Cut a piece of square section Evergreen stock that's approximately the same width as the "slots" you've opened up in the fuselage. Glue the sections in place securely, allowing the stock to protrude out of the opening slightly. File and sand until it matches the fuselage side, filling any small gaps that are left.

I've used this method for almost 30 years, and it is ***by far*** the fastest, easiest, and most foolproof way to get rid of window openings on airliner models. Every other method will eventually result in "shadows" of the windows being visible.

The only 747s with cargo noses are the dedicated, purpose built freighters. Kalitta's, as far as I know were all converted passenger aircraft.

To fill windows quickly and completely, try this: cut out each group of windows along the fuselage. Square up the openings with a file. Cut a piece of square section Evergreen stock that's approximately the same width as the "slots" you've opened up in the fuselage. Glue the sections in place securely, allowing the stock to protrude out of the opening slightly. File and sand until it matches the fuselage side, filling any small gaps that are left.

I've used this method for almost 30 years, and it is ***by far*** the fastest, easiest, and most foolproof way to get rid of window openings on airliner models. Every other method will eventually result in "shadows" of the windows being visible.

Hi Jennings,

I am afraid I chickened out on the method you described and went for the one I originally intended. What intimidated me most was wether I could get the correct roundness into the insert pieces. I have the fuselage together now and sanded off all the panels lines and filled all the seams and windows and doors. I will start a build thread over the weekend :) Thanks for your advice! I have purchased two of the engine sets by Braz and a decal set for a Evergreen machine that the shop also had, I think Evergreen uses the kit engines. Also I saw this picture on the net.

Jal.cargo.b747.arp.jpg

Looks like I may have to learn to use foil :)

foil?

For Kalitta? Do they have a bare metal colour scheme?

The pic is a Japan Air Lines 747-400 freighter, not the 747-200 represented by the E4 kit

edit -

here's a pic of a Kalitta 747 - I guess this is the carrier you mean?

1713242.jpg

and if you fancy a bit of weathering, they also appear in all white....ok....sort of white...white-ish.....

0482613.jpg

:)

Edited by kev1n

Yes I know what the Kalitta paintscheme looks like, I meant using the foil for a future JAL Cargo built. I am not a 747 expert but perhaps it is possible to kit-bash a 400F from a E-4B kit and a 400 kit.

When -400 production started in 1988, the last few -300s on the books were built with -400 tooling, resulting in the wing root leading edge extensions being present. Otherwise they look like other -200s and -300s.

Not only -300s, the last -200s as well.

I meant using the foil for a future JAL Cargo built.

....perhaps it is possible to kit-bash a 400F from a E-4B kit and a 400 kit.

ah, I see - guess we were talking at cross purposes :)

Making 747-400F is easy enough;

take the hump off an E4B and the hump off a revell 747-400 pax and change them around

(You then can make the E4B into a -300 SUD)

This assumes the fuselages on the kits have the same cross section

I know this can be done easily using Hasagawa's 747-200 and 747-400 kits so I guess the same would apply to the revell kits

ah, I see - guess we were talking at cross purposes :)

Making 747-400F is easy enough;

take the hump off an E4B and the hump off a revell 747-400 pax and change them around

(You then can make the E4B into a -300 SUD)

This assumes the fuselages on the kits have the same cross section

I know this can be done easily using Hasagawa's 747-200 and 747-400 kits so I guess the same would apply to the revell kits

Well I will probably get around to them because I just found out my LHS has eight E-4B kits in stock and they mainly sell model railroading stuff so the kits will probably be there for a while. Who used the -300 SUD's besides KLM?

I am not a 747 expert but perhaps it is possible to kit-bash a 400F from a E-4B kit and a 400 kit.

Yes it's very do-able... I did it with an Airfix -200 and a Revell -400 to make a Cargolux -400F. It'll be somewhere on here if you want to have a look.

Yes it's very do-able... I did it with an Airfix -200 and a Revell -400 to make a Cargolux -400F. It'll be somewhere on here if you want to have a look.

Found it! VERY nice :) Another airline I'd love to build. Also, just saw your finished 1:72 KLM 747, love it! Too bad the kits are hard to find and I could never find a place to keep it :( I'd love to do a large model of this one some day

008.jpg

010.jpg

But first to start simple :)

Edited by Lieuwe

Swissair

Saudis

PIA

Thai

Qantas

South African

...there were a few more but those spring to mind

UTA had 2 -200 SUD F-BTDG/DH and 2 -300 (F-GETA/TB). All four Combis (SCD) with CF-6 engines.

Edited by AV O