1/72nd Westland Sea King HC-4 by Dragon - is out!

Homebee

FANTASTIC NEWS,.......Dragon are certainly on the Royal Navy bandwagon at the moment and filling some yawning gaps in the model coverage...yippee...Thanks Dragon!

Cheers

Tony O

I thought the HC.4 was called the Commando, or have they re-named it Sea King to fall in line with the others?

Any road up, I'm looking forward to this (and the AEW version they also announced), especially if I can get it on clearance like the Meteor F.1!

I thought the HC.4 was called the Commando, or have they re-named it Sea King to fall in line with the others?

Any road up, I'm looking forward to this (and the AEW version they also announced), especially if I can get it on clearance like the Meteor F.1!

It was the export version of the Sea King HC.4 that was called the Commando, it has always been a Sea King in RN service. I think that Egypt was one of the main customers of the Commando.

Cheers

Tony O

British 'in service' name was/is

Westland Seaking HC4

It became the Commando for export markets.

Rex

I must admit (I am not expert) the back behind the rotor head does not seem to curve down enough, also (its hard to tell from the cad renders) does the rear taper enough?

Julien

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great to see an HC.4 available but as mentioned, that nose does look a bit odd. Here's hoping for a conversion kit to come along to enable a modern Herrick-spec cab to be built.

Edited by paul_c

I hpe they correct the nose, otherwise this might end up as yet another disappointment from Dragon ! It would be a very expensive source of parts to convert the Revell Sea King into an HC.4

Still cheaper than an Airwaves set on Ebay!!!! In all seriousness, I won't be buying one to build as it has too many errors. If I can find one cheap, I'll buy it and cross kit it with the far superior Revell kit.

The major errors I can see are,

1. The nose shape is way off.

2. Although a nice idea, the folded main rotor blades are wrong. The two outer blades should be angled downwards along the fuselage sides, not tucked under the other blades.

3. The winch is wrong for a UK Sea King. Not a unique fault, as no 1/72 kit has got this right for a UK cab.

4. The shape of the engine/main gear box housing is a little off(it seems strangely proportioned, perhaps too tall?) and the mesh covered aperture at the rear(the oil cooler air outlet) is missing the curved fairing over the tail rotor transmission housing.

5. Orange Crop sensors not appropriate for early HC4s, and even then only half the suite is there!

6. The landing gear sponsons don't appear to have enough anhedral on them, making them appear too flat.

7. Aerials(?) either side of cockpit. Never seen anything like that in any pictures I have seen of any HC4s....

8. Cable conduit on starboard side of cockpit is a feature of the AEW2.

This so close to being a decent kit, it hurts! It just sadly seems to be let down by a few issues that should have been picked up in the design/research stage.

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime

It's all part of the Chinese plot to undermine Western Civilisation - make FAA modellers beat their brains out on a brick wall due to supplying us with their mis-shappen lumps that laughingly pass for British naval aircraft (and rake in a goodly lump of foreign currency to boot). Luckily for Western Civ, they miscalculated - we're such a tiny minority of the population....

Edited by Paul Bradley

I have a C Scale white metal conversion kit in the Stash. Anyone remember them?

Yes, I have one to convert the Airfix Tornado into that snazzy new Tornado F.2 that was just coming into service! Wish I'd got some of the others.

Yes, I have one to convert the Airfix Tornado into that snazzy new Tornado F.2 that was just coming into service! Wish I'd got some of the others.

I have the Wasp conversion and the Gazelle update set - a few of the C-Scale sets re-appeared in the Airwaves range

I went and had a look on the dragon site, if those are pics of the finished product then I thin we are in for a bit of work! Not that I'm shy of doing some modification/correction but surly Dragon could have got this one right, there are more than enough scale drawings around not to mention reference info! Come on Dragon ask the modellers, we're willing to help!

Someone once told me it takes less time to get something right, than it does to get it wrong! Mark me down as a disappointed ex Junglie, until I've seen the kit that is.

Colin on the Africa Station

Someone once told me it takes less time to get something right, than it does to get it wrong!

Well, it certainly takes less time, money and effort to get things right first time than it does to get things wrong then go back and fix them. The problem is that with certain notable exceptions* mainstream model manufacturers rarely go back and fix things. Some of them even ask for comments and suggestions on internet forums then ignore the comments and suggestions. :(

* Eduard 1/32 Bf109E canopy