A Short 184 From scratch in 1/32.

• 3 years later...

Glenn R Stunning just stunning, I wish I had half of your skill, congratulations.

Its quite good timing (for me) I have relations that live on the Isle of Man (IoM), HMS Ben-my-Chree was a seaplane carrier converted from the IoM Steam Packet passenger ferry. The ship famous for carrying the Short 184 was sadly lost 11 January 1917 off of the south west coast of Turkey.

As you can see from the date next year (January 2017) will be the centenary anniversary of the sinking, a group of Islanders are in the process of putting together a display to be shown in the Ferry Terminal telling the story of the Ben.

Thanks for the well timed boost, below a small exert from the book Ben-my-Chree woman of my hart by Ian M Burns.....

On 11 January 1917 HMS Ben-my-Chree was at anchor in a bay, off the island of Castellorizo, a Greek island on the southwest coast of Turkey. The ship was totally unaware that they were in range of a Turkish gun battery two miles away on the coast of mainland Turkey. The battery opened fire on the Ben-my-Chree, immediately holing her petrol store, which set the ship on fire. The ship's steering gear was also hit in the shelling, disabling her. This damage resulted in the captain being unable to move the ship out of range of the Turkish guns. The crew were ordered to abandon ship after half an hour of the bombardment. The crew used one of the three motor lifeboats to ferry the crew to safety; her other two lifeboats had been destroyed in the shelling. The complete complement of 250 men were saved, as the motor lifeboat was able to use the stricken Ben-my-Chree as a shield as they went ashore. The attack continued for five hours until the burnt-out hulk of the ship sank in the shallow water of the Bay. Later in the day the Captain and the Chief Engineer returned to the Ben-my-Chree, rescuing the ship's cat and dog, which had both survived the attack.

RR

• Like 1

Beautiful work, I'm using it as reference for my 1:72 version!

Ian

PS you missed the half-bay flying wires on the inner two bays......

Edited by limeypilot

Fantastic work and an inspiration to pull my Aeroclub model from the stash and crack on! I suppose now after all your efforts Wingnut will bless us with a "kit ", and I hope so as the 184 has so much character. Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

I am struggling for superlatives. This is a breathtaking piece of work. Great work.