BBMF Spitfire IIa question.

Jazzie

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me and confirm what propeller is currently fitted to the BBMFs Spitfire IIa?

Having a wee bit of a Spitfire obsession just now, the next on the list is P7350/XT-D and although im not a rivet counter, i like to get things like props correct. The kit will be the newer 1/72 Airfix I/IIa with the fishtail(?) exhausts but which prop?

Arabest,

Geoff.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me and confirm what propeller is currently fitted to the BBMFs Spitfire IIa?

Having a wee bit of a Spitfire obsession just now, the next on the list is P7350/XT-D and although im not a rivet counter, i like to get things like props correct. The kit will be the newer 1/72 Airfix I/IIa with the fishtail(?) exhausts but which prop?

Arabest,

Geoff.

Geoff

the answer I would suggest is, it varies, depending on what's servicable. Also, exhaust burn out and are replaced, so I'd suggest in what scheme or year do you wish to represent P7350. For example IIRC it has had a MkIX and 6 ejector type stubs at points in the past.

a quick google gets this, Eric Lock's EB-G of 41 sq at the mo..

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfirep7350.cfm

077FB974_5056_A318_A8311179F83E5E0D.jpg

some kind of later 3 blader, as fitted to a MkV, but I'd suggest emailing them as to the specifics.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Went up there last year, at the moment its wearing fishtail exhausts and a slightly weird shaped prop (they use modern props that are made in germany) that has wide chord blade roots like the rotol prop in the airfix spit 2a kit but with squared off tips. I'd say use the rotol prop in the kit (part D39) with a swipe of a sanding stick accross the end of each blade to square it off very slightly. She also has a round oil cooler fitted (part D41 and D42) so use those bits too.

Cheers for that chaps!

I am looking to complete this one with the codes XT-D using decals from the Airfix Typhoon/Spitfire set. I was already heading down the Fishtail exhaust route but didnt even consider the oil cooler! Will be looking to see if using the Rotol prop with DH spinner is close enough and if i have enough spares, might try re-profiling the tips.

Arabest,

Geoff.

Here you go:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/...0_gallery1.html

Plenty of good pics of her as George Denholm's XT*D "Blue Peter".

She sports a Vb type 3 blade prop and spinner,tubular exhausts and Mk IX type four spoke wheels

and the round oil cooler.

If you need four spoke wheels and haven't any,give me a shout,I'll have a pair of spares.

Mark

Edited by Miggers

Went up there last year, at the moment its wearing fishtail exhausts and a slightly weird shaped prop (they use modern props that are made in germany) that has wide chord blade roots like the rotol prop in the airfix spit 2a kit but with squared off tips. I'd say use the rotol prop in the kit (part D39) with a swipe of a sanding stick accross the end of each blade to square it off very slightly. She also has a round oil cooler fitted (part D41 and D42) so use those bits too.

Sorry, nothing to add, but the irony is delicious that they use props made in Germany now...

Can't be any more ironic than the Bf109 first flying with a Rolls-Royce Kestrel engine, or the fact that Rolls-Royce themselves had a Heinkel He 70 as an engine testbed between 1936 and 1944.

R.J. Mitchell wrote to Heinkel at one point pre WW2, saying: ""We, at Supermarine Aviation, were particularly impressed, since we have been unable to achieve such smooth lines in the aircraft that we entered for the Schneider Trophy Races.... In addition to this, we recently investigated the effect that installing certain new British fighter engines would have on the He 70, We were dismayed to find that your new aircraft, despite its larger measurements, is appreciably faster than our fighters. It is indeed a triumph."

Edited by Work In Progress

Sorry, nothing to add, but the irony is delicious that they use props made in Germany now...

Irony's fun....

the Bf 109 began and ended it's production with a British engine... the prototype had a Kestrel and the Spanish eventully settled on the Merlin for theirs... as well as their license built Heinkel 111's

...leading to the bizzare fact that most of the planes in the Batlle of Britain movie have merlin engines... aprt from a few Griffon Spits in the background..

cheers

T

Here you go:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/...0_gallery1.html

Plenty of good pics of her as George Denholm's XT*D "Blue Peter".

She sports a Vb type 3 blade prop and spinner,tubular exhausts and Mk IX type four spoke wheels

and the round oil cooler.

If you need four spoke wheels and haven't any,give me a shout,I'll have a pair of spares.

Mark

Cheers Mark,

I have a few spare wheels as well as an Airfix Mk.IX in the stash so should be ok for those.

Arabest,

Geoff.