Airfix Swordfish - folded

First model of 2012 and its pretty much finished. The folded option hides a lot of the detail, but I have so many other "spread" Swordfishes in my collection that the fold seemed too good to miss. The next one (and there WILL be more) will be spread. I am now making up a small diorama base for this, to ease moving it about and add a little context to the fold.

DSC_0451.jpg

It went together without any great drama - the cockpit requires a lot of care, both in assembly and working out a sensible painting sequence. Mine looks as though it has fitted perfectly, but I had some trouble getting the fuselage bottom to fit on one side, so it must be slightly too low somehow.

DSC_0443-a.jpg

The completed wing fold is very fragile - this will not be a kit for handling. Rigging was achieved with Lycra thread, superglue and holes made with a hot pin. I also used a small amount of Tippex as filler on the cowling joints. Getting the transfers to settle on the centre wing section and fuselage sides was a little bit alarming - I used some Kleer to "stick" them down, which worked OK on the fuselage, but less so on the wing-top numeral flag.

DSC_0450.jpg

All in all a VERY enjoyable build of a very nice kit. Thank you Airfix and here's to the next one!

FredT :)

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0447.jpg

Edited by gengriz

Stunning rendition of an excellent kit! Must add one to the stash and actually build it!

That is really stunning

can you tell us what paints you used?

Thanks all.

I used Humbrol Metalcote (the Dull Aluminium) for the silvered parts (Humbrol 11 looks too bright and in any event I haven't had a good tin since the 1990s!) and 127 (US Gull Grey) for the Cerrux panels. The cockpit, although you can't really see it, is painted with Xtracolour interior grey-green.

Now you've done it! I've been avoiding this kit, even though it is a superb example of the new Airfix, because I think rigging is an evil sport directed by Old Scratch himself. But you've shown just how fantastic this kit looks, and with the wings folded even! I'm gobsmacked (we Yanks love that word once we learn it - that and bespoke). Well done!! You've now caused me to spend even more of my kid's inheritance by ordering one of these gems!

Cheers,

Bill

that's lovely Fred

..what's the secret to the 'hot pin' method? How is the pin still hot by the time you get it to the plastic? You did the holes presumably before construction/painting ?

cheers

That's an excellent result !! Does the wing fold come as a kit option, or did you get busy with the modelling knife?

Ronnie

..what's the secret to the 'hot pin' method? How is the pin still hot by the time you get it to the plastic? You did the holes presumably before construction/painting ?

cheers

No great secret - the kit goes into the kitchen, the pin is held in a pair of pliers, heated up on the cooker gas ring until red and plunged into the holes (pre-marked with a pen).

That's an excellent result !! Does the wing fold come as a kit option, or did you get busy with the modelling knife?

Ronnie

Its an option in the kit, the only thing you see on mine that doesn't come with the kit is the rigging.

Edited by gengriz