Redoing old Airfix Demon

Jason I've been getting similar steps when I use Mr Modeller fillerpainteyfillery stuff, I think I'd paint more of it along the underneath seam then rub the whole lot back to where it looks all in one piece. Before priming it I mean, then you will have the likeliness that it will all be smooth underneath.

I think I'd taper off the trailing edges too to take away the "plastic model kit" look of the wings, not a lot just a gentle easing out of them

anyway, I'm still waiting for this to be done ( I suppose putting my oar in isnt helping is it? Sorry) I just love 'tween wars Hawkers

bill

No problem, Bill. I can always use a little advice/encouragement/prodding to get on with it/etc. I too love the Hart series - I have just about the entire lot planned out, including the Nisr, the Latvian Hind, the Egyptian Audax (anyone have a Panther engine just sitting around?), et al. Once I get this one done, then I can move on to the others.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Here are some photographs showing my glacial progress. Airfix have the fin attached to the fuselage by two posts (and the lower part of the rudder) and the horizontal tailplane attached to the fuselage cutaway at the back whereas the actual aircraft had the front end attached to the fuselage by a hinge, and the back end attached to an adjustable piece (screw?) that could move up and down a post that was part of the fin. This allowed the incidence of the horizontal stabiliser to be adjusted on the ground. Hence, I've now filled in the forward hole with glue, which I will then sand down so that it disappears (hopefully) once painted. The same is being done with the corresponding opening in the horizontal tailplane. The back hole is a bit forward in relation to the actual aircraft, but I think I'm going to use it as is, and attach the fin to the fuselage through this using a styrene rod to represent the adjustable pole thingie (sorry to be so technical!). I've also done some glue filling work on the coaming between the two cockpits - somewhat of wasted work as I'm going to have to cut away much of that anyway (I believe there was a large opening there - time to consult my references before commencing cutting). In addition I have a rather blurry photograph (okay; they're all rather blurry) of the underfuselage radiator I pinched from an Amodel Osprey to replace the kit's original one. I haven't decided whether I will cut a hole to represent where the radiator retracted into, or just sand the radiator down to butt join to the fuselage.

Regards,

Jason

GlueonHorizontalTailplaneAttachment.jpg

GlueonHorizontalTailpane.jpg

GlueonIntercockpitCoaming.jpg

RadiatorfromOsprey.jpg

Edited by Learstang

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Nobs!  I think I have a few more piccies to post.  I really need to use some of my ill-gotten gain from Christmas (money is truly the best gift!) to buy myself a decent camera.  I'll post the additional pictures I've taken when I sort them out.  As luck would have it I've just put away my box-o-Harts into storage (although easily retrievable), but happily my Hartbees is still out where it can continue to taunt me into finally finishing the b****y thing!  Next on my agenda is to cut away where the underfuselage radiator retracted, and cut away some (most) of the vertical fairing between the pilot and the gunner.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

• 2 weeks later...

I have an until-very-recently mint-in-bag Demon to build as an RNZAF Hind, and this upcycling build is a great inspiration. Very fine work so far!

Thank you very much!  I do like the RNZAF camouflage, so I may get around to doing one of those some day.  I actually have some more blurry photographs to upload, just haven't gotten around to it.  Too many irons in the fire right at the moment I'm afraid!

Regards,

Jason

Jason, I hope to see you finish this model, since you have already done so much with it. Carl T :thumbsup:

Thank you Carl! I have quite a few Eastern Front aircraft that are very, almost, nearly, just about completed that I need to finish first.

Regards,

Jason

I'm always rebuilding my kits, after my three year old boy gets hold of them!!

Luckily, I don't have this problem. No kids and no pets! Funny you should mention a three-year old boy, as both my nephews are about to turn three. However, when they visit they are not allowed into Uncle Jason's model room!

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...

All right, so more piccies of my glacialllllll progress. Here are some better photographs of the radiator I pinched from the Amodel Osprey kit.

RadiatorfromOsprey_zps1647cc71.jpg

RadiatorfromOsprey3_zps3f43914f.jpg

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Here's where I did some smoothing down of the aft fuselage, using some glue. First, the before, then the after picture.

GlueonAftFuselage_zps39325a74.jpg

AftFuselageSandedDown_zpsb0f214db.jpg

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

And finally, where I plan to cut the hole where the radiator will go.

CIMG0152_zpsd3fe9809.jpg

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Just as a sort of revelation, looking at photographs of the South African museum Hartbees, I won't have to cut away the coaming between the pilot and the gunner.

P.P.S. As should be obvious from the preceding blurry photographs, I did not use my Christmas money to buy a new camera (instead I bought a rather large piece of an Il-2 rudder, believe it or not!).

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Hmm

I'm not about to ask, the underfuselage is coming along well now

Don't forget to keep at it, we are all waiting ;)

b

nudge nudge in case you forget it

Not about to ask - you mean the Shturmovik rudder? I'm slowly rebuilding a full-scale one - I figure at this rate it will take me about 20 years to get all the pieces together. About how long it looks like it will take me on the Hartbees (I'm joking about the Shturmovik - I've been using the parts for photographs for my Il-2 modelling book. I hope I'm joking about the Hartbees!).

Regards,

Jason

Don't know if i'm teaching my granny to suck eggs but has the camera got a Macro function,and the pictures you took further away lookfar better than the blurred examples. As for the rebuild I think you are doing a fantastic job,rebuilt two SR-53s last year and there is some perverse satisfaction as to when it all comes back togeather.

Another tip for stripping paint is good old fashioned oven cleaner with the kit wrapped in poly bag.Don't do as I did on my first and use Nitromores,far to agressive as I ended up with a gloopy mess.

Don't know if i'm teaching my granny to suck eggs but has the camera got a Macro function,and the pictures you took further away lookfar better than the blurred examples. As for the rebuild I think you are doing a fantastic job,rebuilt two SR-53s last year and there is some perverse satisfaction as to when it all comes back togeather.

Another tip for stripping paint is good old fashioned oven cleaner with the kit wrapped in poly bag.Don't do as I did on my first and use Nitromores,far to agressive as I ended up with a gloopy mess.

Oh I don't mind the pointers on the camera, Frankie, I need them! I still plan on buying a new one. This one's fine for taking piccies of the family, but not for closeups of my models. I've heard about the oven cleaner bit - tried it one time on a Shackleton MR.3 I was converting into an MR.2 (still working on that one), but the paint had been on so long it wouldn't budge. It had truly become one with the plastic. I wanted to get rid of the scale 3" rivets anyway so I just ended up sanding the whole thing. Wow. That was a lot of work - I really need to get back on that MR.2. Too much work already invested in that to just let it sit on the Shelf of Doom.

Regards,

Jason

• 4 months later...

Yes, boys and girls, Unkie Jason has done a little more work on his never-ending Hartbees project! I'm determined to finish this before King George VII's coronation. The way Airfix have the tailplane affixing to the fuselage isn't correct, so I'm correcting this. The first thing to do was cut away the straight(ish) leading edge to put the notch in it where it attached to the fuselage (this area being helpfully marked out in black, as in the first photograph - the second showing the result of this surgery). Next up is building up the fuselage, but that's for another post.

Regards,

Jason

HorizontalTailplanewithAreatoBeCutAwayMa

HorizontalTailplanewithAreaCutAway_zps26

OK OK

maybe not a massive leap forwards but at least we get an update :yahoo::thumbsup:

Lets face it, Aifix kits were less accurate then than now

I wonder if they'd fit the bits together differently if they had a repop at it these days

Which is NOT an invitation to hold one's breath

keep up the updates Jason, please.

Bill, I'd love to see Airfix have another go at the old girl. The basic Demon kit isn't half bad to begin with, and if they could improve it to the extent they improved their new-mould Swordfish over the old one, put me in for twenty or thirty Harts and Demons. As it is, I'm up to my eyeballs in Hart variants - AZ Models, Avis, Amodel, Airfix, and now we have Kora coming out with all the weird and wonderful variants. I've already picked up the Kora Persian Audax (in Soviet markings no less) and the Kora Egyptian Audax (with the Panther engine). Nice kits, albeit in resin, and not cheap (I got mine from Hannants on sale). Supposedly they're going to come out with a Turret Demon - definitely on my must-have list. I shall continue to post as new developments emerge - stay tuned!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Nice to see you are still working on this one Jason. The Soviet Audax caught my attention so will keep an eye open for you starting that one some day.

Nice to start working on it again, Col. Regarding the Soviet Audax, the only real problem with that is which variant to do - the silver version with the Soviet stars, or the green over blue Aeroflot version. Maybe I need two of these! I'm afraid it will be a while until I get to this one in earnest, although I've started doing cleanup on the parts. Ahead of it are this Hartbees, a British WWII Audax, the Egyptian Audax, and then the Persian/Soviet Audax. At least that's the plan now, which as always is subject to change without further notice.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Good to see this on the go again, Sir!

"The mills of God grind slow, but exceedingly fine."

Thank you, OM! I'm not certain about how fine my mills grind, but they certainly grind exceedingly slow!

Regards,

Jason