Roden Junkers D.I Early.

Alfisti

Recently bought the 48th scale Roden Junkers D.I early long fuselage kit.Are ther any alternatives to just the 2 tone mauve/green schemes that may be applicable?Have 'googled' for some schemes,in particular a three tone variation,but haven't been able to find definitive answers.

TIA........Dave.

Recently bought the 48th scale Roden Junkers D.I early long fuselage kit.Are ther any alternatives to just the 2 tone mauve/green schemes that may be applicable?Have 'googled' for some schemes,in particular a three tone variation,but haven't been able to find definitive answers.

TIA........Dave.

This may help.

Click here.

Albatros Publications also do, or did, a very nice Windsock Datafile on the Junkers D.I. by Peter M. Grosz . There is also a Windsock Datafile No. 131 - Junkers Monoplanes at War by Harry Woodman which is in part on the D.1. They are great books - if you can find them at a reasonable price (one is on Amazon for £100+!).

But to answer your question: I must, unfortunately, misquote Henry Ford - if Peter Grosz and Harry Woodman are right (and they are very good), you can have any colour you like so long as it is thinly sprayed green/mauve uppersides and bluish white bottom! This seems to have been the bog standard finish. Any other schemes seem to be blamable on weathering, fading and repainting of surviving examples, except for the natural dural prototype - which strictly speaking would need filling of the vertical cockpit-side fuselage joint (not easy on those corrugations) - and one reported example, no number given, with a normal finish but with the fuselage oversprayed chocolate brown - fairly dark from the photo but who can tell what film or filter was used? - and a natty white and blue band around the fuselage behind the cockpit. The above books between them give photos and a profile of this one, but unfortunately it's a short fuselage jobbie which doesn't get you any further!

Fascinating planes! I hope you enjoy your kit; in 1/72 I have the Revell F.13 made up, an Eduard 1/72 J. 1 in progress and a couple of D.1s in the stash.

Thanks Lothian Man,perhaps I can trade in my 'Of Struggle and Flight' book by Karlis Irbitis,last seen on Amazon going for about £250 for one of those titles that you mentioned,Lol!

Yes,intrepretation of old black and white photo's can be fraught with difficulties,I'll have to see if there is anything about the Junkers in the book I've mentioned.

Dave.

Thanks Lothian Man,perhaps I can trade in my 'Of Struggle and Flight' book by Karlis Irbitis,last seen on Amazon going for about £250 for one of those titles that you mentioned,Lol!

Yes,intrepretation of old black and white photo's can be fraught with difficulties,I'll have to see if there is anything about the Junkers in the book I've mentioned.

Dave.

I'd never heard of that book so of course I looked it up - sounds interesting too! It's going at £90 now (plus 2.80 delivery ...), real bargain it would seem (!). Raven and Roberts' and Burt's big books on WW2 British battleships also attract high prices. Trouble is I don't know how many of those high prices are actual selling prices as opposed to rather optimistic try-ons ... like ebay buy-it-nows. As for the latter, as I understand it the winning bid isn't what one pays (though I imagine one can look up the bidding history).

Edited by Lothian man

As to the weathering and etc, consider the early production machines were put through testing at Adlershof. The paint schemes on these were very new. Even after the testing to failure of certain components they were repaired & repainted for service.

Edited by JackFlash