Revell 1/144 F-14 D

While the primer is drying on the A model I've started to crack on with the D model.

Probably going to be in VF-101 colours from Sept 2004.

Parts are glued together and green stuff will have been applied by the time this is read.

6757088087_e07d792fa5_b.jpg

photo9 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6757088999_98a1f79609_b.jpg

Untitled by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6757084569_40bf713db0_b.jpg

photo (3) by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6757086839_d244116078_b.jpg

photo by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6757085673_a077e40936_b.jpg

photo (2) by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6757083609_0e17035a4a_b.jpg

photo (5) by tony_inkster, on Flickr

I'm defo getting interested in these (and other 1/144 kits of this type)

dont want to rush you but I can't wait to see these done

Me to! I think they look great. Are they to small to pre-shade? They look about 5" long, but without seeing one I wouldn't know!

Me to! I think they look great. Are they to small to pre-shade? They look about 5" long, but without seeing one I wouldn't know!

In looking about on the web I found this youtube video:

Click me

Some serious talent going on there.

Click me

:o

Holy Tomcats Batman! Ridiculous skills going on there...

Apologies for thread hijacking.

Having seen these being built, they are probably the only Revell planes I would touch, they are seriously well detailed for their size.

Click me

All good, however you wouldn't have power on while landing so them lights are a bit pointless, good though!

Have you done any more Tony? :)

A strange concept I know, but it's normal practice to go full power, even into reheat as soon as the aircraft is on the deck, just in case the wires are missed. You have to be ready for this, too late and the jet plops off the end. There are some great pictures of hornets doing this, the arrestor system can even fight the power of the engines!

Joel

A strange concept I know, but it's normal practice to go full power, even into reheat as soon as the aircraft is on the deck, just in case the wires are missed. You have to be ready for this, too late and the jet plops off the end. There are some great pictures of hornets doing this, the arrestor system can even fight the power of the engines!

Joel

No I know that, but the model is on the wire...;)

All good, however you wouldn't have power on while landing so them lights are a bit pointless, good though!

When military aircraft land on a carrier deck, as soon as they snag the wire they go to full afterburner until they come to a complete standstill. This is in case the arrestor cable snaps, because they will require full afterburner to get back off the deck in one piece when the cable lets go (if they are lucky that is). This is standard practice in carrier operations. :)

Armitage

Oh, ok, I see it was covered between the time I opened that thread this morning and answered it this afternoon! :D

Armitage

It'll be be getting some more attention tonight, I need to fill and rub down around the vertical fins and then it'll be in the spray booth for the first coat of primer :)

Whilst it's in the booth I'll crack on with the A model

Thanks Andy, I'll hack 'em off this afternoon :)

She's all in one piece now, just got to rub down around the floor and then she'll be primed.

Engine bays on the A model needed another coat but hopefully the first paint will be on the airframe this afternoon.

6781889071_fd4d6bb9b5_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to pull my finger out on this one! New brushes were purchased on Saturday and all panel lines were pre-shaded, I'm now searching for replacement eye balls :wacko:

6848325104_7fdc5a229a_b.jpg

6994447791_6d08f7efd5_b.jpg

photo (1) by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6848323486_4d15ba1168_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, seeing all the great models at Cosford has kicked me up the a$$ to finish my two Cats!

Paint now added to the D, the photo's don't show it but the pre-shaded panel lines worked nicely, I thought I'd put too much paint on at one point (rattle can) but when it dried it was just what I was after.

Vertical tails have had their first coat and the cockpit will be finished tonight. All going well I reckon this one will be finished by Wednesday!

6893703454_f3b2700bd6_b.jpg

photo (1) by tony_inkster, on Flickr

6893702572_be37d22f55_b.jpg

I love that feeling when arriving back home from a model show and the urge to build has the best of me... I see I'm not the only one !

Looking good, you can sure complete this before the end of the STGB

my thoughts exactly :)