Kev's rocket - BA Negus 1976

Not likely to be more than one....

I have a revell rocket already built in the BA landor c/s which could do with a respray so I might do that while I'm at it with a new one for the GB, which will be in the BA red tail c/s.

If I can manage it, I would also like to do one in Braniff colours - the BN services were flown with BA/AF aircraft, and temporary US registration stickers applied, but I quitre fancy an orange rocket so maybe.....

Pics up later but I have both airfix and revell kits, I'll stick with the rv kits for these builds.

Edited by kev1n

Get in there Kev!

You know it makes sense. I take it you're not doing a BA machine in its final scheme as you'd be tempted to open the front passenger door so we could see the flight engineers cap wedged in the gap opened up by the fuselage expanding due to the frictional heating in flight? ;)

Phil.

I had an idea that the gap opened up when the aircraft was in flight?

Somehow I'm not convinced that an open door at 60,000 feet is realistic.....

:)

But otherwise, an open door or two, some seats and a cockpit.....hmmmm.....now there's a thought...

the box....familiar I know but here it is anyway...

tomcatseatsandconcorde007.jpg

and the already built one I mentioned;

BACConcorde_1_1998.jpg

at some point I will add the Braniff bird to the fleet, along with the Union Flag version and an Air France as well. After that I also want to do the BA aircraft that had Singapore A/L colours on one side....need a decal for that tho...

I had an idea that the gap opened up when the aircraft was in flight?

Somehow I'm not convinced that an open door at 60,000 feet is realistic.....

Indeed it did. On the last flight of each machine, the flight engineer stuck his cap into the gap which then closed as the airframe cooled. Since they won't fly again, the caps are permanently jammed into a space which no longer exists.

Some "enterprising" little toe-rag did try to nick one of the caps apparently - I think from Alpha Delta. IIRC it was returned, but I don't know if they got it back in the niche.

Would have thought this would have been a must for one of Kev's a/c... It is going to be lit isn't it? ;-)

Lit ?

I wish I knew how.....

otherwise, now I know what Phil meant, the cap will be done....but not on this model...

It's going into BA's red tail scheme, not the union flag.

having said that....I'ts as good an excuse as any to build another one, and complete the set of BA colours

and Dave - when I have some money, I will pay a visit to Two-Six and acquire said BA/SIA sheet

It's going into BA's red tail scheme, not the union flag.

Kev,

I'm looking forward to your build.

Any chance of buying your AF decals? :please: I only need the tail logo for the port side.

Phil

I have old Entex AF decals to spare. It is "old" barcode - no EU flag. PM me if you need it.

Cheers Pin. PM inbound.

Phil

If you can find it, the USAirfix issue of the 1/144 Airfix Concorde had the one side Braniff livery on the decal sheet (the white fuselage with skinny orange cheat stripe and orange BI on the tail). Plastic-wise, the kits were the same. But they did the markings for the plane half and half style with one side in red tail BA livery and the other side in Braniff livery. Rumor has it a Concorde was in the paintshop and scheduled to be painted this way like the Singapore bird when Braniff pulled out of Concorde service. The decals were printed by Scalemaster and the sheet I have (which I am going to use) has stood the test of time rather well and still looks perfectly useable.

A few years earlier, MPC issued a kit of the prototype style 1/144 Concorde with Braniff markings, done in Jellybean fleet livery (i.e. solid color fuselage, white tail with black "BI" letters). Markings from a Minicraft 707 could probably be scrounged to do that one.

hmmm.....well.....first, BA

then BN....and since it's a what-if (in terms of colour scheme at least) I have two choices;

either the regular all white, as mentioned above, or a jellybean scheme :)

so...which?

• 2 months later...

leaving the above to one side for now....and it's gone very quiet in here; where is everybody?

meantime....this is where I'm at;

atm I'm heavily into filling and sanding, filling and sanding (the wing fit and design on this is a shocker...)

my master plan is to have done with all that by tomorrow - Tuesday - then paint and decal and detail from Wednesday om and have it done by Saturday...I might need Sunday in reserve...

concordeapr2012_1001-1.jpg

concordeapr2012_1003.jpg

and the decals -

concordeapr2012_1006-1.jpg

I'll use the stencil details from the kit.

This will have the visor raised, but as it's on the ground and parked, the elevators on the wing will droop. Doors etc closed tho' so anybody wanting to see bone china, cockpits and caps stuffed into closed gaps will have to wait until I do a chatham flag version.

still very quiet here atm....is there going to be a last minute rush?

speaking of which; Fuse is all done now, awaiting white paint, engines to be done tonight, pics up tomoz

I hope.....

Keep on going kev and I'll see you at the finish line, I am going to do another one of these but I think I'll put some more card in the wing to try and help get the joins a little bit better and tougher, mine stuck first time but came unstuck when my fat fingers pushed on the underside

Cheers

Graham

the problem with the wings - and engines- is that the design of this pile of s***e is so poor that the parts simply dont have enough internal support to keep thier shape duing the build...

here's where I'm at now -

SSTand737April2012013-1.jpg

the engine fit is awesomely bad....there are two pieces which are supposed to be fitted during the wing assembly, but I left them off since I wasnt sure what they were supposed do and figured that they might casue a problem with the engines, and boy was I right.

I have no idea what the purpose of these bits are, except to get in the way....eventually I left them off altogether and designed my own support pieces and used filler; I'd have needed the filler anyway, so hence the pic above.

these are the two offending bits of unecessary plastic -

SSTand737April2012014-1.jpg

and this is the model as of last night -

SSTand737April2012017-1.jpg

SSTand737April2012016-1.jpg

my slightly revised plan is spray it white tonight, then tomorrow micromesh it, finish off the gear, decal and detail it and finish it Saturday morning.....and keep my day in reserve....I'll probably need it.

edit -

btw...this will be posed as an aircraft on the ground and parked, so I put a slight deflection on the rudder and removed the flaps, which always droop when the aircraft was parked....I'll re-attach them later...

Edited by kev1n

so here are - ready for decalling and detailing and adding the gear....that's tonight's job, so hopefully it will be done by tomorrow and I'll post the finished model....

(I might be on finals now but there is still time for it all to go horribly wrong...especially the tail decal....obviously BAC and Aerospatiale werent thinking of model making when they designed those rudder fairings....)

concordeapril202012002-1.jpg

concordeapril202012003-1.jpg

...and if mine is the only one in the finished models gallery....I win !!!...cool!

edit -

hopefully, in about 24 hours or so, it will look pretty close to this ;

BAConcorde1.jpg

hopefully......

Edited by kev1n

That's just the most beautiful aircraft ever made, isn't it?

(Your model's none to shabby either Kev1n.)

<Rant>It was making a bl**dy profit! People stopped in the streets to look up with pride! Aspired to do something that good in their lives. What were those bl33ding Airbus types thinking??? Why? Why?? Why???</Rant>

And I never got to fly on one.

neither did I.....:(

just have to make do with this one then;

concordeApril212012004.jpg

Awful kit, awful decals....still, it's as done as it's going to be, at least for now; I need to build something less stressfull....

all I've altered is shorten the nose wheel and adding the missing shock absorber or whatever it is behind the leg and just above the wheels. As supplied the gear is very plain and the nose gear especially, as well as being too long by distance. Dropped the flaps and deflected the upper part of the rudder, and, er...thats it.

I did want to add a lot more to the gear but tbh I just could face any more with this so there you go, done.

At some point I'll go back to it and fir some extra external detail but not right now.

More pics in the finished builds gallery....

Nice. So when are you going to take on a 1:72 one then Kev?

I'm not. At least not until;

1) I have a *lot* more time;

2) I have the skills to build one;

3) I have more patience thatn I do right now

4) I can afford one...

Since both the revell kit and airfix's 1/144 kit both have issues, from the stories I've read and been told about the airfix 1/72nd version....

it would take more than I have to build one.

Like it a lot Kev. The displaced control surfaces really make a difference don't they?

So you didn't enjoy fighting the kit then? :DBTW, the underwing bits you discarded carry the boundary layer ramps above the engine nacelles.

Phil.

Then I wish Revell had done a better design job since all they do on the kit, as far as I can see, is get in the way....

And no I didnt enjoy it - it's an awful kit, withy stunningly poor design.

The airfix kit, which I have one but never built (yet) also seems to have a number of issues.

I find it really hard to work out how two major manufacturers can make such a hash of such a unique aircraft - it's not as tho' there is a shortage of reference material.

Unfortunately, RV and AFX are the only games in town if you want 1/144 scale concordes.....:(

wtf are boundary layer ramps????