1/48 F-14B, VF-32 'Swordsmen' Iraqi Freedom, 2003

Hobby Boss' look good, certainly if the Trumpeter 32nd ones are anything to go by, they have some fairly nice detail.

Trumpy's 32nd F-110 nozzles. the "turkey feathers" fit over the inner nozzles very nicely

2012-02-10205026.jpg.

Hasegawas GEs, tricky to put together right and missing detail

2012-02-10205313.jpg

Joel

Couldn't agree more Joel with regard to the Hasegawa GE-110's. I've never tried the hobbyboss kit so can't comment. As i've said, the Dr Pepper GE-110's are the best i've used and relatively low cost. If anyone would like a set or two, let me know and we can put one order in to save postage!

http://www.drpepperresins.com/48.html

Cracked on with the cockpit today. This is my first experience with Black Box/Avionix cockpit sets and i have to say, it is better than the Aires example for a few reasons:

1. Resin is not as brittle

2. I think the detail is more 'crisp'

3. The fit of the tub to the kit parts is so much better. All that needs done is to remove the inside of the boarding steps and the casting block of the tub. None of the sanding and chopping as per the Aires tubs!

4. The rear panel behind the RIO's office (the bit that has the triangular frame) is cast as a separate part which is a godsend because, if like me, you constantly snap this part on the Aires examples, this is much easier to work with and saves repair jobs. Just needs to slot in!

Here is the completed tub, prior to installation:

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Control panels:

IMG_1919.jpg

Cockpit sides:

IMG_1913.jpg

Note the resin sidewalls and kits landing gear bay are installed. The rear panel:

IMG_1918.jpg

'pit installed. I cannot express just how much better the fit is compared to the Aires examples!

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

The Avionix GRU-7 seats that will replace the Quickboost examples i had initially planned to use:

IMG_1910.jpg

The remaining contents of the Avionix 'deluxe bombcat set'

IMG_1909.jpg

One thing i'm not keen on is the set up of the forward pallets. One must cut a section off the rectangular pallet and add the curved part unique to the forward pallets.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Edited by DaveJL

Looking good Dave,

Good to hear your experienced views on the Blackbox pit. Wolfpack bombcat bits seem a little less prolific in number! Be interesting to see what the fit is like compared to the Wolfpack pallets.

Do you think the Avionix/Blackbox seats are physically bigger than the Quickboost/Aires ones? My SJU-17's certainly seemed so, be interesting to find out.

Cracking build.

Rip-Cord

Looking good Dave,

Good to hear your experienced views on the Blackbox pit. Wolfpack bombcat bits seem a little less prolific in number! Be interesting to see what the fit is like compared to the Wolfpack pallets.

Do you think the Avionix/Blackbox seats are physically bigger than the Quickboost/Aires ones? My SJU-17's certainly seemed so, be interesting to find out.

Cracking build.

Rip-Cord

Thanks Ruari. The bomb pallets seem a bit complex compared to the wolfpack examples, not mentioning the thick casting block underneath that will need to be seen to with the hacksaw, something which is missing on the wolfpack set- a blessing at that! Hopefully i don't make a meal of removing the blocks.

In initial inspection, the seats seem a bit taller than the Quickboost ones i was planning to use. Just needs a bit of a heavier sanding job underneath. I'll compare them in more detail tomorrow and report back!

Cracked on with this today. First job was to add the two fuselage halves together. Fit, again, wasn't great. Plenty of filler needed. Once this had set, i added the two coamings in the cockpit along with the rear panel.

IMG_1922.jpg

You may notice that there is a good whack of filler in front of the pilots coaming. This was needed as i shaved off too much of the resin block and left about a 1.5mm gap between the plastic and resin.

Gps dome added:

IMG_1923.jpg

Rear pallets and bomb racks:

IMG_1925.jpg

I had intended to use the Avionix examples but having looked at them, and realising that i plan to make this kit and 2 others before the GB deadline, i abandoned them on the basis that they do require a good few hours of prep work, and reverted to the Steel Beach bomb racks i had initially planned to use. Call it a short cut if you will! Tail fins and a good tidy up of the rear end next:

IMG_1924.jpg

Forward bomb pallets:

IMG_1927.jpg

Avionix GRU-7's with the kit ejection handles attached:

IMG_1928.jpg

Wing glove pylons with BOL rails and LANTIRN adaptor:

IMG_1929.jpg

Avionix LANTIRN pod:

IMG_1930.jpg

The lovely Royle Resin fuel tanks (will definitely be using these again!!):

IMG_1932.jpg

Overall shot for today:

IMG_1926.jpg

Just needs a good clean up and the addition of a few bits and pieces and that will her ready for priming. Won't get any done for a week or so as i'm away this week.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Looking good again ! I see you're using a lot of resin parts from dfferent manufacturers, how would you rate the varius accessories available in 1/48 ?

Thanks Giorgio. The steel beach resin parts are all great, would highly recommend them. The avionix cockpit is great and requires a LOT less work than Aires sets. Wolfpack designs sets are great too, apart from the GE-110 shrouds in the B/D update set. These are a very poor fit. My favourite nozzles for the B/D would be the Dr Pepper examples. If I were to suggest a selection of sets for one build I would say:

Avionix cockpit

Wolfpack designs bombcat set (or steel beach bombracks if you have the LANTIRN, adaptor and BOL rails)

Steel Beach GE-110 exhaust shrouds (if doing a B/D)

Dr Pepper GE-110 exhausts (B/D)

Aires varied TF-30 exhausts (A)

Steel Beach FOD covers

Royle Resin fuel tanks

Royle Resin wheels.

The various other parts I've used over various builds are all good too, but the above would be my 'ideal' selection.

Hope that helps

Just about ready for priming. Forward pallets and bombracks added and tidied up, along with the chin pod:

IMG_1942.jpg

ECM lumps 'n bumps added either side of the intakes:

IMG_1943.jpg

All rough areas sanded and smoothed over and final look before the painting commences:

IMG_1945.jpg

Kit is off for a soapy bath this evening, priming tomorrow and hopefully painting on Sunday.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

First session of painting done. Main airframe has had it's applications of the necessary greys and the areas that need painted Insignia blue have been masked off:

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Tails also need painted Insignia Blue, the shrouds need done black and the wing seal 'bags' need a coat of dark grey.

Fuel tanks:

IMG_1949.jpg

GE-110's (insides still need weathered - the insides were originally white on the real thing as the petals were ceramic)

IMG_1950.jpg

Ordnance painted (few details bits just need to go on)

IMG_1948.jpg

Once the painting mentioned above is done, the kit shouldn't be too long in coming together.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Second session of painting done and she's starting to look a bit tidier now! Shrouds, wing seal 'bags', fins and fuselage stripe all painted. After a bit of information provided by Andy Mullen and consultation of various photos, the fins and stripe are insignia blue, despite the Two Bobs decals saying they were black. The coamings on the control panels were also painted khaki:

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

GE-110's weathered:

IMG_1952.jpg

Lenses on the GBU-12's painted and the bombs weathered:

IMG_1954.jpg

GRU-7's ready to go:

IMG_1953.jpg

Final shot of the jet for today:

IMG_1957.jpg

Next up is to remove the masking, highlight the panel lines, add nav lights and assemble the landing gear.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

Looking good !

Thanks for your roundup of the various bits available, I'll have to save this in my reference list ! With more and more 1/48 tomcats coming my way I'll need some of those sets...

Thanks Giorgio. The roundup is just my personal preference on the parts. I suppose it's all down to what is the most suitable for the builder!

Well on the way to completion now. First thing i did today was add all the nav lights, then paint some details, namely the ECM bumps and fuel dump valve. After that was done, i highlighted all the panel lines with a very, very sharp pencil. Takes an age, but i think the affect it gives is quite good:

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

I then moved on and assembled the landing gear. Once complete, it was set aside to dry. Then onto my favourite part - the weathering! I came across the below image on the web and in Tony Holmes' book on the 'cat in OIF:

162916F-14BVF-32PhotoUSN.jpg

The description in Tony Holmes' book is as follows: '...162916 drops away from a KC-135R on 11th April 2003'

3 weeks into the conflict and you can see the intense weathering on the jet. I wanted to replicate this as best as possible. The first stage was to add light grey boarders to various panels:

IMG_1961.jpg

And a few dark grey ones underneath:

IMG_1962.jpg

Then, working from the rear to the front, i weathered each individual panel as it appears in the image above.

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

The wings and horizontal stabilisers:

IMG_1967.jpg

Like i said, i have tried to replicate the weathering on the kit as best as i can with reference to the picture. What do you think of it?

I also added the GE-110's:

IMG_1968.jpg

And the Steel Beach FOD covers:

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

After this was done the landing gear was attached. I will leave this to cure for 24 hours. Next up will be add some final detail painting to the kit, add the windscreen and antennae before adding the decals.

More to follow.

'Freezer'