1/48 F-14B, VF-32 'Swordsmen' Iraqi Freedom, 2003

Check ebay, you'd be surprised what you can get! Almost all of mine are from there!

AND THE FOR SALE SECTION ON HERE :lol:

Had two fujimi 72nd kits on back in november no takers and still available

TOO LATE!!!!

They're mine!

MIne I say!

MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!!!

(sound of manic laughter echoing around the ship)

depends on time, the three I have on the go now, a sea king, a mustang, at least one concorde, a Hunter, and other sundry matters of a transport nature

...and boring things like real life.

but apart from that, I'd love to.

depends on time, the three I have on the go now, a sea king, a mustang, at least one concorde, a Hunter, and other sundry matters of a transport nature

...and boring things like real life.

but apart from that, I'd love to.

I wish you luck! My shifts in work are being pretty good to me so i have some decent time. Seems like a lot more than it actually is mind you!

not much of a big coffee drinker actually but I identify with the other bits

plus also having to crack on with two mustangs and a concorde....

Hunter GB starts soon as well......

fun tho aint it :)

not much of a big coffee drinker actually but I identify with the other bits

plus also having to crack on with two mustangs and a concorde....

Hunter GB starts soon as well......

fun tho aint it :)

Big commitment! I think the four F-14's is enough for me for now, though i have signed up for the F-16 GB and the Close Air Support one. Might get a few F/A-18's done for that!

How is this one going?

Am interested in your progress as I have the Academy F-14A and Revell F-18F with decals to do the two Swordsmen CAG birds - outgoing and incoming.

I do not intend to superdetail either (mainly OOB) but I am aware that the F-14 ought to be the B version. I am also going to put crew in the seats so some of the cockpit will be obscured anyway. Being relatively new to this modelling lark what aftermarket will I need to make the Academy F-14A into a B?

What aftermarket would be a sensible compromise to improve the kits without going mad?

It looks to me like you are doing an A and presumably you will convert to a B and I therefore wondered what you were doing/using?

Thanks.

SLoB

How is this one going?

Am interested in your progress as I have the Academy F-14A and Revell F-18F with decals to do the two Swordsmen CAG birds - outgoing and incoming.

I do not intend to superdetail either (mainly OOB) but I am aware that the F-14 ought to be the B version. I am also going to put crew in the seats so some of the cockpit will be obscured anyway. Being relatively new to this modelling lark what aftermarket will I need to make the Academy F-14A into a B?

What aftermarket would be a sensible compromise to improve the kits without going mad?

It looks to me like you are doing an A and presumably you will convert to a B and I therefore wondered what you were doing/using?

Thanks.

SLoB

Haven't started this one yet mate, third in line this one!!

The kit I have is a Hasegawa B model. Essentially, the B model is an A model with a few upgrades, noticeably the GE-110 engines as opposed to the TF-30's on the A model. Internally, the B has a square screen in the rear as opposed to the round radar display that i think comes with the Academy kit. The B also has a double glass plate HUD. You may also need to change the main wheels, as B models had a different hub to early A models. If you have the 'bombcat' boxing, all the weapons, racks and parts for the targeting pod should be there, along with the late style NACA gun vent. One thing you will need to add is a small dome to replicate the GPS on top of the fuselage.

The best way to update the Academy kit is to use this: http://store.spruebrothers.com/148-steel-b...190-p23675.aspx

Hope that's of some use to you.

Dave

Thanks very much for the link. They are out of stock at present but they look just the thing.

No problem. They usually restock every month. Click the 'notify me' link and you'll get an e-mail when they are back in stock.

Anything else, just let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

Brief start on this today. Built up the wings:

IMG_1823.jpg

Tail fins and Beaver tail:

IMG_1825.jpg

Added the gun vents (poor fit again):

IMG_1824.jpg

The ordnance. Going for the 'quad bomber' (4x GBU-12's) configuration. All parts from Hasegawa weapons sets:

IMG_1821.jpg

Main fuselage is also built. As i'm using FOD covers on this build, i can leave out all the intake work :partytime: which means that the fuselage goes together in no time:

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

Waiting on a Blackbox deluxe Bombcat set arriving, so when it does, i'll crack on with the cockpit. (Swapping out the Aires one for this)

More to follow.

'Freezer.'

Bit more done after work today. One problem when building an A+/B/D from the Hasegawa kit is that the exhaust shrouds are those that are used with the TF-30 engines of the A model, not the GE-110's of the A+/B/D. The former has engraved panels running from the exhaust up to the base of the shroud, whilst the latter is a sort of wrap around carbon fibre panel with no lines.

TF-30:

IMG_1858.jpg

GE-110:

IMG_1859.jpg

So to correct this for a B model as i'm doing, one must fill in the lines. (or you can get aftermarket shrouds if you prefer that). I used tamiya putty:

IMG_1850.jpg

An hour later after some sanding:

IMG_1852.jpg

Looks messy, but it is very smooth. Tamiya putty is great for wee jobs like that!

The Dr Pepper resin GE-110's. (pinched from another kit)

IMG_1853.jpg

Engines inserted, shrouds attached and beaver tail on:

IMG_1855.jpg

Defunct hole on upper fuselage filled. This hole only needs filled when adding the GPS dome, which is on all airframes from 2000 onward.

IMG_1856.jpg

Once the blackbox set arrives, i'll crack on with the cockpit.

More to follow.

'Freezer'

He he,

Really 'flying' together! My A+ is at about the same stage. Looking good.

Rip-Cord

Thanks mate. And good use of the pun there :lol:

They go together fairly quickly when you get stuck in. It's the painting, detailing and finishing that takes more time!

nice work on the exhaust nozzles ! Hasegawa has not done great in this area, although it must be said that variable geometry exhausts are complicated things with a lot of parts. I've yet to see a plastic part I was completely happy with

nice work on the exhaust nozzles ! Hasegawa has not done great in this area, although it must be said that variable geometry exhausts are complicated things with a lot of parts. I've yet to see a plastic part I was completely happy with

Thanks Giorgio. The Wolfpack resin GE-110 shrouds are the most accurate in terms of detail, but their fit isn't great. Maybe the Steal Beach ones are better in that regard.

Have you tried the Aires GE-110 set yet? I've got some on order...

I haven't mate. I've a set on the way too but not even sure it comes with shrouds! I've heard some mixed reports on them. Of the ones i've used, the Dr Pepper pieces are by far the best fit. Might order a few more if your interested to save postage!