1/48 F-14B, VF-32 'Swordsmen' Iraqi Freedom, 2003

Was thinking of something like that for a RAF 'what-if'

Ideas are still floating around my head! :hmmm:

Good idea, Tornado ADV doesn't pan out in '79 RAF goes looking for something to patrol the vast GIUK gap,......the rest is history, maybe.

Oh hang on ive thought of some more, they first go operation for the RAF in late '81 and run super long range fighter cover over the Atlantic convoy all the was to the falklands with multiple victor midair refuelling.

Good idea, Tornado ADV doesn't pan out in '79 RAF goes looking for something to patrol the vast GIUK gap,......the rest is history, maybe.

Oh hang on ive thought of some more, they first go operation for the RAF in late '81 and run super long range fighter cover over the Atlantic convoy all the was to the falklands with multiple victor midair refuelling.

Nice ideas! I was actually thinking more like a interim solution to the Jaguar being retired and the Typhoon gaining FULL air to ground capability, and to supplement the ever shrinking GR4 force.

Something along the lines of the RAF received a dozen say on the cheap from the USN when they retired in 2006. Updated with new software (a MLU if you will) litening pod capable or maybe even sniper pod! Perhaps brimstone capable, storm shadow.... the list goes on!

Lifecolour do it too-LC35.

That would be a good whif Dave, lots of work with that one. I have enough on with regular cats-which one next-A,B,D?, Which unit?..!

Joel

Thanks Joel, but i just ordered some modelmaster acrylic insignia blue.

Talking about the RAF 'whif' has me tempted to try and enter a 4th build :lol:

Nice ideas! I was actually thinking more like a interim solution to the Jaguar being retired and the Typhoon gaining FULL air to ground capability, and to supplement the ever shrinking GR4 force.

Something along the lines of the RAF received a dozen say on the cheap from the USN when they retired in 2006. Updated with new software (a MLU if you will) litening pod capable or maybe even sniper pod! Perhaps brimstone capable, storm shadow.... the list goes on!

Now that would be good!

again likewise ^

perhaps a co-operative squadron venture might be in order?

I never use ebay, first because I dont like spending money on something I might not get and secondly I dont have a credit card.

And I still need more tomkitties...."sigh"....think I'll go mug somebody....

again likewise ^

perhaps a co-operative squadron venture might be in order?

I never use ebay, first because I dont like spending money on something I might not get and secondly I dont have a credit card.

And I still need more tomkitties...."sigh"....think I'll go mug somebody....

Could be mate!

Do you have paypal? Easiest way to pay and you're protected! I've only ever not received 2 items, one because it was lost in the mail (genuinely) and the other because the seller was a fraud! Both times paypal refunded me in full.

If you see any on ebay you like, give me a shout and i'm sure we can work something out!

I always thought the RAF should've purchased it minus the Phoenix which wouldn't really be suitable for a European shooting war. It would've been awesome...........

I always thought the RAF should've purchased it minus the Phoenix which wouldn't really be suitable for a European shooting war. It would've been awesome...........

If that was the case at the time and no Phoenix was bought, the RAF would have been better off with the F-15 (can of worms here :lol: ) being cheaper and what have you!

*manic PM mode on*

"We'll have a fleet of both types, with all the bells and whistles on....it'll keep the French quiet"

If that was the case at the time and no Phoenix was bought, the RAF would have been better off with the F-15 (can of worms here :lol: ) being cheaper and what have you!

Warning build thread being hijacked...... Would've though Tomcats with Phoenix would've been ideal at keeping the Russian Bears & Blackjacks at bay over the GIUK gap.

Warning build thread being hijacked...... Would've though Tomcats with Phoenix would've been ideal at keeping the Russian Bears & Blackjacks at bay over the GIUK gap.

Probably would have been perfect for that. After all, that's what the F-14 was designed for!

If this a theread steal I will remove.

I made a RAF Tomcat for the What If GB a year or so back. I did it as a Tornado F3 replacement.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53461

Not at all mate, that's a very tidy looking 'cat! I'm thinking if i do end up building a RAF one, it will be a modified bombcat.

*manic PM mode on*

"We'll have a fleet of both types, with all the bells and whistles on....it'll keep the French quiet"

I might even try to squeeze a 'whif' in before the deadline! Ambitious or what? :lol:

not a threadsteal to me....I MUST get more tomkitties!!!....I MUST.....and an RAF version will be done!

I wonder how the RN would have got on with F14's?....probably wouldnt fit on RN Carriers....

I wonder how the RN would have got on with F14's?....probably wouldnt fit on RN Carriers....

Well RN Phantoms didn't really, what with modified nose U/C and radome. Would the RN have had a carrier for them to fit on anyway?

not a threadsteal to me....I MUST get more tomkitties!!!....I MUST.....and an RAF version will be done!

Could we arrange some sort of group discount on buying F-14s? :hmmm:

Seriously - I'm almost finished mine and really fancy building another, but in 1/72.

Must check the bank a/c again....

Seriously - I'm almost finished mine and really fancy building another, but in 1/72.

After starting this one and soon coming to a close, I really want another one too. They're just amazing aircraft. Although I do have a couple of F/A-18s on their way. 1/72 is a good size IMO.

Check ebay, you'd be surprised what you can get! Almost all of mine are from there!

Feel the same here ! Since the start of the GB I already spent some £130 in kits and bits.... all tomcat related ! And still I'm thinking of buying a revell or academy 1/72 kit just to show some USN Reserve markings... I fear I'll get a call from the bank soon ! :lol:

Feel the same here ! Since the start of the GB I already spent some £130 in kits and bits.... all tomcat related ! And still I'm thinking of buying a revell or academy 1/72 kit just to show some USN Reserve markings... I fear I'll get a call from the bank soon ! :lol:

I know the feeling. I think my three planned builds, (not including the proposed fourth :whistle: ) have set me back well over £200. The kits i got relatively cheap, it's the aftermarket that has cost the most!