1/48 F-14B, VF-32 'Swordsmen' Iraqi Freedom, 2003

Hello all,

Here is my planned third entry for the GB. Hasegawa F-14B in the markings of VF-32 Swordsmen, USS Harry S Truman, Mediterranean sea, 2003.

The kit:

IMG_1491.jpg

The parts:

IMG_1492.jpg

The aftermarket:

IMG_1493.jpg

Aftermarket includes Aires cockpit, Steel Beach bombracks, Twobobs decals, Master pitot tube, Quickboost seats and Steel Beach FOD covers. Lantirn pod and ordnance will come from the spares box.

Some of the references for this build (emphasis on the Daco book and the Osprey OIF book)

IMG_1495.jpg

And the jet i'll be doing:

IMG_1494.jpg

'Gypsy 100' BuNo 162916. This was VF-32's CAG jet right up until the squadron transitioned to the F/A-18F. During Iraqi Freedom, 162916 dropped 29 GBU-12's, 1 GBU-16 and 5 GBU-31's in 28 sorties.

159089-bigthumbnail.jpg

More to follow.

'Freezer'

I love this scheme :thumbsup2: , quite a shame no-one does it in 1/72 :( Will you do it ready to launch like on the picture?

Looking forward to seeing it finished,

Arnaud

Thanks Arnaud. Twobobs did do it in 1/72, but it's a bugger to get hold of, harder than the 1/48 sheet!

Jet won't be in the launch position as i'm doing that for my 1st entry. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234910450

Dave

Crikey, you're certainly banging them out for this GB.

Will be watching this one as well! Be interested to see how you get on with the Steel Beach FOD covers, if I can't get my intakes looking right I might end up getting some :lol:

Crikey, you're certainly banging them out for this GB.

Will be watching this one as well! Be interested to see how you get on with the Steel Beach FOD covers, if I can't get my intakes looking right I might end up getting some :lol:

Thanks mate. This one is third on the list after this: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234911470 and of course the 'cat shot diorama!

The FOD covers are great, but care must be taken when attaching them because if they aren't in the right location, they will either rip paint off, lose adhesion or tear themselves! But they do save so much pain with the intakes!

Sweet scheme Dave.

Just one note - If the Twobobs 48th scale version have them, remember to use the white backings for the yellow tail markings. I missed them, as they were on an insert in the 1/72 version, and ended up with two different coulours...

HS_F14B_007_008.jpg

Sweet scheme Dave.

Just one note - If the Twobobs 48th scale version have them, remember to use the white backings for the yellow tail markings. I missed them, as they were on an insert in the 1/72 version, and ended up with two different coulours...

HS_F14B_007_008.jpg

Thanks for the tip Andy. The sheet includes white backings. So it's yellow over white on a gloss black tail?

Nice 'cat btw!

Edited by DaveJL

Thanks Arnaud. Twobobs did do it in 1/72, but it's a bugger to get hold of, harder than the 1/48 sheet!

Jet won't be in the launch position as i'm doing that for my 1st entry. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234910450

Dave

Thanks, I was not aware it had been done in 1/72. If anyone has one of the schemes on this sheet left over please send me a PM :)

Arnaud

Is the clue to to your C/S 'Freezer' the fact you have so many 'Cats in your freezer(stash)?!

You don't muck about, be good to see this one!

Rip-Cord

Nope nothing to do with that mate. It involves a female, a few tins of beer and a condom. I'll say no more!

This one is third in line so i'll have an A, B & D finished hopefully!

Nope nothing to do with that mate. It involves a female, a few tins of beer and a condom. I'll say no more!

This one is third in line so i'll have an A, B & D finished hopefully!

Don't know what's more intriguing - your three builds or that story ;)

After you've finished the A, B and D, you can make the prototype!

All the best,

Shamrock

...So it's yellow over white on a gloss black tail?

Nice 'cat btw!

Thanks Dave.

I don't have the leftovers from this sheet, but contradictory to the Twobobs callout of Black, the colour of my tails and spine was Xtracolor X122 Insignia Blue (FS15044), as I seemed to recall at the time looking at photos showing it to be dark blue not black.

Thanks Dave.

I don't have the leftovers from this sheet, but contradictory to the Twobobs callout of Black, the colour of my tails and spine was Xtracolor X122 Insignia Blue (FS15044), as I seemed to recall at the time looking at photos showing it to be dark blue not black.

I thought that myself but tend to trust twobobs! The photos in the Opsrey book appear to be black but then a very dark blue at certain angles!

Ok, we'll not ask about your C/S anymore, there might be kids reading the forum ! :lol:

You really are a dedicated modeller, 3 tomcats and hasegawa 1/48 kits, not diecasts, for a single GB is a big commitment

Probably best no more questions are asked!

The GB gave me an excuse to build as many as possible! Have some holidays from work and the like so manage at least an hour a day. But have some big things coming up so after this month, time might be limited slightly but i'm determined to get at them done!

IIRC those markings were debated over at ARC and someone who "knew" the aircraft said it was indeed insignia blue

Who produces this shade of paint? I'm not a big fan of xtracolour. I have some modelmaster gloss dark blue, 4660. Would that be similar?

Who produces this shade of paint? I'm not a big fan of xtracolour. I have some modelmaster gloss dark blue, 4660. Would that be similar?

Model Master #1719 (Enamel) is FS35044

Haven't got any MM Acrylics, but comparing the two graphics on the Testors site it may well be OK

HTH

Edited by Andy Mullen

Lifecolour do it too-LC35.

That would be a good whif Dave, lots of work with that one. I have enough on with regular cats-which one next-A,B,D?, Which unit?..!

Joel