Spitfire Diorama

-james-

Personally I liked the first picture which had a pilot figure sitting on the wing, as if awaiting rescue (perhaps he's been chased there by a dog? A rabid reindeer? The killer rabbit of Caerbannog?)

And why is the reindeer wearing high heels?

Hmm. I don't think you're taking this modelling lark terribly seriously, are you?

They're its hooves :P it's perfectly unserious :P the way modelling is meant to be imo :)

After I've gathered some more materials I'll see how it unfolds ;)

James

I'm really glad you approve Warren :) I can't explain my appreciation for the parts :)

Has anyone any criticisms they would like to offer? I want to make this as good as I can now :)

I wish I had made a frame out of a harder wood now :/

James

Looks good James :thumbsup:

May I ask what you used for the antenna? It looks like cotton? The only advice I would offer is to make the antenna wire thinner and more taunt. I use stretched sprue, some people use easy line which is an elasticated rigging thread.

Keep em coming. I look forward to seeing your next build.

Edited by Mish

Thanks everyone :) managed to convince my dad that the sepia image was the real thing :P granted he didn't have his glasses on though ;) so, other than the Aircraft being forced to land, what can the story behind the diorama be? I've had suggestions of animals? However I don't think they'll be the easiest to source :P ones that don't look like the aforementioned deer anyway :P

Thankyou for all the comments, I think my modelling ability has really grown since joining these forums due to the help and advice of all the great members :)

James

Ah mish we posted at the same time :P

I used thin fuse wire , I'll go and try to stretch some sPrue now :)

I have a he177 in progress as we speak ;)

James

In 48 scale I use fine fishing line which is a lot stronger and more elastic than stretched sprue.

IMG_0238.jpg

In 72 scale, I'd ignore it as it's invisible in photos of equivalent viewing distance.

I'm very impressed by your groundwork. It's come out very well, I think.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

I've since taken off the aerial wire completely as I couldnt do any better :)

I'm really glad I did stick with this, i know its nowhere near the level that many modellers on here post but it's much better than I expected it to be :)

Here's some more pics

_DSC0122-1.jpg

_DSC0121-1.jpg

_CSC0128.jpg

_CSC0113.jpg

Here's one just before i took the wire off :)

James

James, that looks pretty neat, especially the pilot sitting forlornly waiting for a lift back to base. (Perhaps he landed in a field miles from base after running out of fuel.) Anyway nice to see you using your imagination in your modelling.

Sean.

Glad you all like it :)

managed to acquire a spare canopy so I'll try splitting and see what I can do with regards to that :)

I feel it needs something in the middle of the grass, something but im not sure what?

James

The pilots location is still undecided :)

Last night and earlier this morning I took a knife to the canopy and cockpit side and after much sanding and polishing to thin the canopy here's what I came up with :)

_DSC0141.jpg

_DSC0138.jpg

Hope you all approve :)

James