Paul's Airfix 1/72 Concorde

Time to make a start on the biggest kit in the stash.

IMG_9541.jpg

I'll be modelling G-BOAF as I spent much time working on her in Concorde majors as a BA apprentice and consequently I'll do it in the 80's scheme with the blue tail and red stripe down the side ending in the speedwing.

I started it when I bought it some three years ago, but didn't get very far!

Conc1.jpg

I'll be asking loads of questions I'm sure as I'm a bit unsure about some parts, especially how to set the nose and visor to avoid the broken mechanism issue.

Hi,

very nice, I built one of these years ago, and Claire even let it go on display in the lounge!

Its a nice kit, but br ready for the filler and you will get some cracking muscles in your sanding arm with the fuselage! take your time when glueing the sections together, I checked, checked sanded, adjusted, checked again when doing mine and it ame out very well. I would attach the upper wings to the fuselage before adding the lower wing/ belly section. It will help!

If you avoid damaging the moving nose/ visor then tell us! I dont think any one has ever managed it!

That looks like a good start. I built one a while back, and although not the easiest of kits I've ever attempted it does build into an impressive model. Just watch that fuselage alignment!

Well done for taking on this one Paul. It'll be an impressive result even if it doesn't fall together. Sounds like some real modelling.

I always like to hear of a personal connection with the subject too.

Phil.

I've heard that the best way to conquer the fuselage is to build the two halves up separately (left and right). Can anyone confirm this?

I don't think so. I haven't had much problems with fuselage halves. Some putty was required but nothing extraordinary.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :cheers:

Using advice from Pin, I'm assembling the fuselage as per the instructions. So far I've joined the main fuselage halves and I'm working on the terrible joint near the tail.

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had one of these!

Got as far as mid fuselage assembly, realised i was not enjoying it one bit & gave it to my daughter to finish.....

Having said this, there ARE several built both here on BM & several other sites, so PLEASE stick with it....

Your doin great so far, & looks like the worst is over!

& who wouldn`t want a honkin great speedbird in their collection, eh?!?

• 1 month later...

With such a small production run, it's hardly an incredible coincidence that I am also doing G-BOAF, in her blue tail livery, which struck me as the most interesting. I'm afraid that I've dropped the ball on the nose visor, not shortening it enough (and painting the scratchbuilt interior black instead of ZC yellow), but I was grateful to get the forward fuselage finished without utterly ruining the transparencies. I don't want to make any more errors though - I intend to make a present of it to a former lecturer who worked on the project. Am now dealing with the window resizing issue. Hopefully the second round of filling will hold. After that it's only the centrebody (too fat), the nacelles (cranked inwards) and the wing (droops too far inboard) to fix (I've already moved the gear bay and I'll be rendering the model in cruise, taking advantage of the inclusion of a stand).

If there's anything you feel I ought to know as I wade into this, I'd be very grateful.