1/72 Vacform Aeroclub Vickers Varsity T1

The model shown is the 1/72 scale Aeroclub vacform Vickers Varsity T1. I have scratch built the landing flaps, aircraft interior, front wheel bay, all the aerials, access ladder and access door, added extra detail such as wind screen wipers and brake lines to the wheels. Airbrushed using Tamiya white, Xtracolor light aircraft grey and red, weathered using Promodeller wash and post shaded using charcoal crayons.

This model represents the aircraft WF372 and was delivered to the RAF in 1951, and finally retired from No 6 Flying Training School at RAF Finningley, Yorkshire, in 1976 it spent the next 12 years at Sibson Airfield near Peterborough before being purchased by Brooklands Museum in September 1988 where it is now on public display.

Build thread http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73267

varsity_8.jpg
varsity_10.jpg
varsity_11.jpg
varsity_12.jpg
varsity_13.jpg
varsity_15.jpg
varsity_16.jpg
varsity_17.jpg
varsity_18.jpg
varsity_19.jpg
varsity_20.jpg
varsity_22.jpg
varsity_23.jpg
varsity_24.jpg

Edited by kev67
  • Like 3

Give that man a medal, that is fantastic! Also good to see something out of the ordinary. I am sure I saw Varsity's like this at air shows (Finningly?) when I was a nipper in the early 80's, could that have been possible?

FF

Could of been one or two examples still flying around that period, but they retired these in the mid 70's apart from RAE Rasberry Ripple one which I think was the last one to fly in service

Edited by kev67

Simply stunning build! Awesome work my friend.

Never seen a Varsity built up before, but you've done a cracking job considering it's vac-form.

Love the paintwork too, nice smooth and crisp lines :thumbsup::clap2::worthy:

Edited by Danuleson

LUVERLY........Kev that is a fantastic model and having built one myself (not a patch on yours by the way) I can only appreciate the skill and TLC that has gone into it, Very well done that man! I`m tempted to dig out mine, rip it back to component level and start again, you`ve inspired me so much!

All the best

Tony O

Lovely build chap. Turned a tough vac into a masterpiece. I remember seeing this airframe up on the hill at sibson every time we drove up the A1 past perterborough. I always wondered what aircraft it was and never got up there to look. Must get to brooklands sometime to see the thing for real amd close the loop!!

top work, robbo