Airfix Four Stroke & Maudslay Paddle Engine

BAC

It's nice to see Airfix are re-releasing the four Stroke Engine and the Maudslay Paddle engine after many years of being out of the catalogue.

Here's the two kits I built a while ago out of the stash. They were great fun to build and will get them again and perhaps motorise them.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_00132.jpg

DSC_00152.jpg

DSC_00163.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_00032.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_00072.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Will you get them?

• Like 3

What a pleasant surprise to see such nice models, especially the subtle off-black of the paddle engine.

I have been regretting, for the last 38 years, selling my IC engine kit unmade to a Bultaco motocross enthusiast at school ... but perhaps I can do something about that now.

But I did get to make my paddle steamer engine. The kit is a bit simplified in that the eccentric wotsits (the long red teardrop shaped components) don't actually move the valve slides up and down, but have slots so that they slide up and down on pins on the valve slides. But whether that could practically be modified to work I have no idea!

Thanks for the comments!

I had a real blast doing them , especially the 4 stroke. The metal bits on that were sprayed with various Alclad finishes and afterwards a couple of drops of 3-In-1 oil were used to lubricate it. Not only does it turn nice and smoothly but even smells like and engine too! i could have spent ages turning it round and round and round and............................

The paddle engine also turns nicely with the cylinders gently rocking back and forth. The main top crank was one piece and is a little fragile but it works.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Awesome !!

They have turned me on so much that i have just had a look at the Airfix website, they seem to be in the Black Friday sale,I am very tempted at those prices

Four stroke £7.99

Paddle engine £8.99

Tempted