1/48th scale Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got quite a few models reaching the finishing post and this is the first of them, the recently released Italeri Hurricane Mk.I kit converted into a Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib using the excellent MDC resin conversion set. The head rest in the cockpit is scratch built but the other Sea Hurricane items, ie the hook, converted fuselage underside and catapult spools are from the resin set. The roundels came from the Hasegawa Sea Hurricane kit but the codes and serial came from a custom made decal sheet, however the codes did have to be altered by narrowing them down using a fine paintbrush. The full build can be seen in the Work in Progress section for anybody who is interested, but unfortunately I don`t know how to post a linky thing...sorry. Anyway enough waffle, here is the model;

finished1-1.jpg

finished2-1.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished3-1.jpg

I hope you like it, I enjoyed building it and have since started another!

All the best

Tony O

Edit; I meant to add that it represents a deck landing training aircraft operated by 768 NAS from Machrihanish, Scotland circa 1943 which usually used HMS Argus or any passing carrier as a training platform and I`ve just noticed that the arrester hook has slipped and is off centre!

Edited by tonyot

Bloody good show! A mighty fine bird

Bob

Absolutely as Bob says Tony.

You could always say that the hook had been pulled by some "tyro" taking the wire a little too fast ;)

Now you see folks why there are so very few B of B era Hurris about,they were given to the Navy

who bent them or used them as CAM/MAC fighters and crashed them in Oggin!!.

Mark

Thanks for your kind comments folks, Yes Jack it was all hand painted (I don`t use an Air Brush) and I see what you mean about the exhausts Mike, I was under the impression that they were regularly painted with Zinc Oxide or something similar to cut down on the glow, hence my use of Brick Red but they do look a bit boring don`t they. I`ll have a play with them and see how I get on.

Cheers again fellas and glad that you like it,

Tony O

Were the sea Hurricanes any good

The Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib was basically the same Hurricane Mk.I as used by the RAF in the Battle of Britain but with the extra weight and drag of a hook and catapult spools yet it was still in use well into 1942. It was the main type used during one of the Fleet Air Arm`s finest hour`s when they helped to protect the vital Op Pedestal convoy to Malta, a task which was only usurped in fighter terms by the defence of the Falklands Task Force by the SHAR`s. By this time the Sea Hurricane was no match for contemporary fighters like the Bf 109F and was not even fast enough to catch a Ju 88 but with the help of shipboard fighter controllers it could still be put in the right place at the right time to help defend the fleet against bomber attack and the Naval pilot`s were of course well trained, although probably wishing that they had something faster and more modern! The later Sea Hurricane Mk.IIc was basically the same as the RAF version, but with a heavy hook attached.

Cheers,

Tony O

Edited by tonyot