Tuskegee 1/48 P-51D

On my P-51's i normally just cut to shape a thin piece of Plasticard sheet and glue over that vent seam with CA/superglue.

Also have used cut up pieces of beer/soda cans when i've not had any suitably thin plasticard.

Even if you don't get the shape 100% right you can hide the area with some weathering. Depends if your a 'showroom shine' kinda guy or if you like to weather your models for that used look. Since the 332nd flew from PSP runways at Ramitelli(not sure if thats spelt right) there P-51's would have been quite dirty underneath with mud & dirt.

Excellent work so far BTW

Edited by mungo1974

Also have used cut up pieces of beer/soda cans when i've not had any suitably thin plasticard.

You, Mungo, I nominate for the Nobel Peace Prize. I gave a the soda can trick a try and worked great. Actually, it worked fantastic. Thanks soooo much. Picture below. I also did some final sanding and such before plopping down another layer of Grey Primer, then on with some color :)

IMG_0734.jpg

Thanks to all following this and I should be able to slab some paint on her either tomorrow or Friday. Thursday is way to hectic for me to do much but I might get something done.

Oh, and news on the ankle. It was a high sprain and I'm walking around on it again, should start to run again for track by Friday!

Also, does anybody know weather or not Laqcuer paint will effect tape in any way? I'm going to spray the red wing tips, yellow bands, red tail, and yellow noseband before the Alclad but wanna make sure gloss black Lacquer won't mess with the tape.

Erik

Edited by erikmuntz

Hi Erik

I dont think the Laqcuer will effect the tape,but my preference would do the black and Alclad first ,but

that`s just the way I work others will say different. Good luck with it .

wellzy :headphones:

Hi Erik

I dont think the Laqcuer will effect the tape,but my preference would do the black and Alclad first ,but

that`s just the way I work others will say different. Good luck with it .

Hey Wellzy,

I'm doing it this way because I figure it will be a lot easier to keep the wing bands a constant width this way rather than with 2 pieces of tape. I've tried that before and it was a disaster, especially with the camber of the wing.

Got some color on today, she is officially a red tail :) I have to redo some of the belly yellow paint after a sand with 1500 because I got a fingerprint in it somehow :( oh well, easy fix, easy fix. So after some 1500 and a respray she'll look just as good :)

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

I think the yellow may be a wee bit too deep but since I was matching a diagram and got the match right, the decal placement guide's yellow must be a little bit off. Oh well. I find that as I continue to progress in my modeling "career", smaller and smaller things bug me. I'm becoming a perfectionist more and more with each build and its good and its bad. I think I would have difficulty just building a model OOB with no added detail. Once again, oh well :)

:cheer:

Erik

Loooking good Erik. I know what you mean about getting overly concerned with the details, it definately happens to me. I often spend more time researching things than modelling and it's not a great balance. I always find that every so often I build a simple OOB just to keep things sane. Looking forward to seeing this one with some silver on it, it just might inspire me to build another P-51 soon.

Pete

That's going to be one colourful bird Erik. Nice work

Andy

I do like some color on my birds :) haha it was a fun process

Loooking good Erik. I know what you mean about getting overly concerned with the details, it definately happens to me. I often spend more time researching things than modelling and it's not a great balance. I always find that every so often I build a simple OOB just to keep things sane. Looking forward to seeing this one with some silver on it, it just might inspire me to build another P-51 soon.

Pete

I'm starting some projects here after this build that I plan to keep mostly OOB. They will be in the WIP thread under one topic. I'll give you a sneak peek, I'm starting with Revell's Wright Flyer and two biplanes and ending with some jet :)

Looking good Erik

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Wellzy! Your tips have helped out a lot

Starting to look really nice now!!

Glad the tip with the soda can worked out ok for ya! :thumbsup:

I'm definitely going to use that trick more than just once! And thanks!

this is looking really good

Thanks, Kevin!

Alright guys, I got some Alclad on her.

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Sorry about the not so great pictures, I wanted to get out of the modeling room as there was a LOT of lacquer floating around in the air. I need a spray booth...

Series of steps incase anyone is curious. 1) Primer 2) Fill/Sand 3) Reprime 4) Acrylic colors and masking 5) Primer to protect the Acrylic colors 6) Lacquer Gloss Black 7) Alclad II and removing masks.

Let me know what you guys think again. Picking out some panels tomorrow. I'm declaring artistic license right now for this part and plan on having some fun with it.

Erik

Thats looking fantastic, I know where I will be looking when I get round to my Mustang well done looking forward to the finished product.

And if voting is still on for canopy opened or closed. My votes opened :)

Edited by Fornlornhope

Thats looking fantastic, I know where I will be looking when I get round to my Mustang well done looking forward to the finished product.

And if voting is still on for canopy opened or closed. My votes opened :)

Thanks, open it is! If you want to look at anyone's thread while building look at everyone's but mine! I've made plenty a mistake. Everyone's thread in this GB is magnificent!

Looks really good Erik

Thanks, Mish! Just trying to get a project to match some of your end products.

Nice job on the masking Erik, especially the tail as that looks awkward.

Oh and canopies always open, why waste all that effort in the cockpit and cover it over.

Pete

Thanks, Pete! The tail was a wee bit awkward to mask but I got it done. I think that I need to try some Tamiya tape because the tape I have just is not cutting it! Also, my builds aren't coming anywhere close to as good as yours were!

looks excellent and yes canopy open

Thanks, Kevin!

Looking good Erik

Dont hide all that work you put into the pit its got to be open

Thanks, Wellzy!

Hey Erik..

This looks cool....!!

Great cockpit and love those yellow stripes and red tail...

Tuco :winkgrin:

I too love the colors of the Tuskegee Airmen! And their story!

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

I wanted to put the wing on a black back drop to see what it looks like and I think its pretty cool. :)

IMG_0758.jpg

I might be out of town for the weekend but since we are having a blizzard in small Valparaiso, IN, so I'm not sure if we are going across the state to visit my sister at college. If I don't go, then I might be able to start the decalling. If I do go, then I'll pick it back up on Monday.

Erik