Operation Musketeer in 1/72

Procopius

The Skyraider AEW.Mk.1 (AD-4W) was also used in the Suez Crises

Here is my 1/72 AD-4W, constructed from the Hasegawa kit with the Aeroclub injection molded conversion. I also used a number of detail parts from the old C-Scale conversion set.

IMG_3027.jpg

• Like 3

You have most FAA types covered, you would need only some support types: the skyraider AEW, the avenger and the whirlwind and dragonfly helicopters. Now the whirlwinds can be built from the italeri kits of the H-19, and I'm sure someone will know what's the best option for the avenger (guess hasegawa), but the Skyraider requires the use of the aeroclub conversion on the hasegawa kit. Now only the Skyraider and the avenger carried stripes to the best of my knowledge.

If youwant to add the RAF types, then there's a good number:

- Canberra B.2/6 (old airfix kit only unfortunately)

- Hunter F.5 (revell kit with some modifications)

- Venom FB.4 (not sure there's anything apart from the CMR resin kit)

- Valiant (airfix kit, these did not carry stripes)

- Valetta C.1 (vacform kits only)

- Hastings C.1 (no kit that I know of is available)

- Pembroke C.1 (Special hobby kit)

- Sycamore (there's an old Glencoe kit in some scale that might be close enough to 1/72...)

- Shackleton MR.2 (convert from the frog MR.3 kit or reboxes, don't think they carried stripes)

The french Armee de l'Air and Aeronavale had a big part too and used several types:

- F-84F (airfix or italeri)

- RF-84F (italeri)

- Mystere IV (matchbox or its rebox from revell)

- F4U-7 (Italeri)

- Avenger (hasegawa? they did not carry stripes)

- Noratlas (heller)

- HUP-2 (A-model or Mach2)

As you see there are several interesting types and I haven't considered the Israeli aircrafts. Unfortunately several are not available as modern kits and other require some sort of conversion

We are expecting the Czech Master resin Bristol Sycamore HC.14/HR.14/Mk.51/Mk.52. around the end of February - resin and £37.20 - but it will be a very nice kit if other CMR kits are anything to go by.

Code on our web site is CMR1146

David

SBX Models

So what would the Egyptians have used? MiG-15s and MiG-17s? IL-28s as well, right? Any prop-driven planes? Are there any Suez-era decal sheets for the EAF?

Instead of me writing down the entire list, here's a link you'll find useful (also has info on camo & markings):

Off to ACIG.org!!!

PS. Are you Greek? Just curious... :hmmm:

Edited by Panoz

Instead of me writing down the entire list, here's a link you'll find useful (also has info on camo & markings):

Off to ACIG.org!!!

PS. Are you Greek? Just curious... :hmmm:

Oh wow, thanks! I feel a little sheepish about my weak googling skills about now.

I'm afraid I'm not Greek, but I am a big fan of the Byzantine historian whose name I've appropriated.

Edited by Procopius

• 6 years later...

Wyvern, Seahawk, Sea Venom, Skyraider, even Avenger - why there was no Gannet with Suez stripes? All were relegated home before the attack?

Cheers

Michael

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

No submarine threat, and space needed for Strike aircraft

Yes, I know this :)

But if the Gannets were left ashore (Malta perhaps) they also could wear stripes like the NF Meteors operating from Luqa...

Unfortunately they weren't - perhaps they were flown back home from Malta to the UK 

And now any Gannet in our cabinets looks "plain" EDSG/Sky among all these black/yellow striped FAA a/c of the 1950s. Pity 😪 

Cheers

Michael

If your wanting a Sea Venom I suggest you steer well clear of the Cyber hobby bilge.

It looks a little bit like a Sea Venom on a dark night if you squint a bit.

Better to get either the CMR kit or if price is an issue grab a Frog (not Frog spawn) kit and one of

the Tasman upgrades.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

If your wanting a Sea Venom I suggest you steer well clear of the Cyber hobby bilge. It looks a little bit like a Sea Venom on a dark night if you squint a bit.

Better to get either the CMR kit or if price is an issue grab a Frog (not Frog spawn) kit and one of the Tasman upgrades.

Actually I still have the FROG Sea Venom I have built some 45 years ago. Moreover - having the real Sea Venom in the local (Krakow, PL) aviation museum I absolutely agree with your opinion about the Cyberhobby nightmare. 

But now I'm building the 1/700 HMS Eagle in her Suez period fit. And the only mid-50s aircraft (of 4 types supplied by Fujimi) I can put on her deck is the AS Gannet (Seafire and Sea Fury are too old, the Wessex is too young). The 1/700 Wyvern, Seahawk and Sea Venom will be more colourful with those black-on-yellow stripes, but what can I do with the "plain Jane" Gannet?

Cheers

Michael