1/72 IDF A-4 Skyhawk Extended Tail Pipe (Exhaust system)

royk4002

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering would there be any interest here on Britmodeller, in a conversion of the Extended Tail Pipe (Exhaust system) for Israeli A4 Skyhawks?

The conversion is 1/72 and designed for the excellent series of Fujimi kits.

Myself and a friend have produced an accurate and simple conversion and we are in the process of producing a short run series of resin casts to cover the costs of our little adventure.

The photographs below show the finished product, cast with MDC Resin,

Please be aware these parts pictures are glued to the fuselage WITHOUT FILLER, SANDING OR ANY CORRECTION.

so you can see everything fits well :)

Also the photos have been take with a high pixel camera and an excessive flash so they are showing up all sorts of blemishes unseen by the naked eye..

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172001.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172007.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172009.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172037.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172049.jpg

Below are photos I found on the net of the real deal for comparison;

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172IDFPicture.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172exhaust2.jpg

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172Exhaust.jpg

The conversion comes in 3 parts;

(1) Exhaust Section (Extended Tail Pipe)

(2) Underside Parachute Housing

(3) Port & Starboard "bumps"

see these sections below;

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172004edit.jpg

Construction couldn't be easier!

Just remove the old exhaust deflector section (as seen below)

A4SkyhawkConversionFujimi172wikipaint.jpg

then fit the EXTENDED EXHAUST and additional parts straight on, its that easy :)

We would love to hear some comments or any questions you guys might have..

Thanks

roy :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
13 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

More to the point, where can you get Fujimi A-4s at a reasonable price?

Probably the same place you could find extended pipes....

Contacted Eagle Designs, who also once made them, but he responded that production has halted indefinitely...

Well 757 flyer:

Let me add, my part of the story, I remember to have contacted the guy who did those conversion but he never answer with a quote, so I ended to order some of the Eagle Designs stuff and forget about it

Fujimi 1/72 kits in general are very rare and expensive

Now I'm building some Skyhawks it was easier for me to get a couple of Esci kits (one at Ebay and one at Brookhurst hobbies in California)  weird

ArmyCast also made a IDF AF Skyhawk decal set and I wrote them suggesting about the jet pipe extension and they answer (very polite crew) and told me that They also have that project in mind for 1/72 and 1/48

I also have a Hasegawa 1/32 kit at the stash and had no trouble to got that conversion in the larger scale

Best modeling 

Armando

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:37, 757flyer said:

Were these extended exhausts ever released? 

As the topic starter has not logged on since 2012 I suspect not.

Hi guys

lots of assumptions going on here in absence of a reply. 

YES these were produced and released in 2012.

They were all available on eBay and those who contacted me privately at the time could also purchase it directly from me at a reduced rate. 

over 150 sets were produced and all were sold within 6 months. 

For the person claiming they contacted me, I recieved no messages (I always reply, no matter how long it takes)

Sorry for my late reply everyone but I was busy the past few days. 

Happy modelling 

Kind regards, 

Roy

Edited by royk4002
Not enough information

Roy,

Any plans to re-cast some?  Just curious, as you and Eagle Designs were the only ones I know of that ever did the extended exhausts in 1/72.  Several have been and still are available in the larger scales.

Like the Fujimi kits, Israeli A-4 decals are pretty rare these days in 1/72 as well, but I can fix that.  Just don't know how to master and cast resin, and scratch-building is a bit intimidating for my marginal skills.

Mike

Just saw on the ArmyCast FB page that they are looking to do a resin upgrade set in 1/72, but might only fit it for the upcoming HobbyBoss kit.  They said they might fit it for the Fujimi kit as well.  They also have decals for the Ahit...

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757flyer said:

Roy,

Any plans to re-cast some?  Just curious, as you and Eagle Designs were the only ones I know of that ever did the extended exhausts in 1/72.  Several have been and still are available in the larger scales.

Like the Fujimi kits, Israeli A-4 decals are pretty rare these days in 1/72 as well, but I can fix that.  Just don't know how to master and cast resin, and scratch-building is a bit intimidating for my marginal skills.

Mike

Hi Mike, unfortunately we can’t produce these anymore. We produced the first batches ourselves but later we sent the masters overseas to be produced by a third party. After the casts ran their course we were unable to get the masters returned to us. 

But to be fair at the time, I think we had expended all interest as the last few sales had slowed down and we had achieved our targets (as small as they were). 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...