1/72 SA 341/2 Gazelle Resin Upgrade

royk4002

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if people are still building the old Airfix (Heller) Gazelle?

She still is the only game in town in 1/72 scale as far as I'm aware but what if there were affordable decent resin conversions to spice up these kits?

Myself and another talented modelling colleague are embarking on a number of projects including a number of classic kit upgrades and we are just putting the final touches to some interesting sections, let me explain a little more;

Firstly we are 90% complete building impressive SNEB rocket launchers as used by British Forces in the Falklands War in 1982.

The SNEBS are complete but we are just working on the mounts, this should not take too long.

Secondly we have also designed the up-turned exhaust as used by British Forces in the Falklands, N.Ireland and in some cases the Gulf War (mostly French Army variants), there are 2 slightly different variants of this and we are hoping to produce both.

Thirdly we are mid-way through designing the recent large Exhaust "Box" type configuration, I believe these were used late in the N.Ireland mission and in the early occupation of Iraq (2003 onwards).

All the exhaust sections are mounted to new cast housings and can easily replace the original (& incorrect shaped)Airfix parts with no cutting involved.

Lastly we are gaining speed on the FLIR & Lamp fit for use with N.Ireland and Iraq missions.

We are aware there are two different variants of this so the plan is to produce an early and late variant.

There are no pictures as of yet, but for those of you who know us from purchasing our A4 Skyhawk Extended Tail Pipes, rest assured that these will be very accurate!

We would love to hear your input and comments guys :)

I'm interested (being a bit of a Gazelle fan) - there is actually scope for a lot of updates for the Airfix kit, both in terms of things added to airframe over the years, and to correct inaccuracies in the original kit - PM me if you'd like a list!!

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'm sure you'll geet some interest, in the UK as well as on the other side of the channel.

Gazelle, as well as the Puma, has been the workhorse of the ALAT, the French AAC for nearly 40 years.

I mean, workhorse as a recce and antitank asset.

And if you don't mind, Alouette III need also some 1/48 stuff.

Remember, it was used in Rhodesia with great success some times ago.

Having made my own pair of Airfix kits in trainer schemes with the Modeldecal sheet yonks ago, I seem to recall that the air intake sections were not that great. Worth seeing if they might be worth replacing with a drop-in bit.

There might also be a market for drop-in replacements for the Airfix Lynx air intakes - perhaps the worst problem with that kit which is otherwise still pretty serviceable.

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

We have taken everything on board that has been mentioned here but most of it we already have in hand :)

Dr. Evil, Sighting system will be in developent soon but most of the other bits mentioned here are nearing completion.

Dave thanks for your PM mate ;)

Richard can you PM me a link, I'm very interested in what you might have!

I'm specificall looking for any REAR shots of the large BOX like exhaust system on late Brit Gazelles!

Pat, Deon cheers for your comments guys!

Sniper, yeah we are working very hard to produce an accurate NI Gazelle, the arms and FLIR pod are just amazing.

We are just near finishing the lamp and some additional detail but I'm pretty sure you will be impressed with this.

Antoine, we are studying French examples and the Puma is another large profect we are investing in!

Lothian, yep I was only looking at the new engine & Exhaust housing sets today, there are plenty of variations and options and I can assure you they will be drop in kits so no messing around here!

Pierre, sorry my friend We are not producing a new kit or colour/decal option, just garage produced replacement Resin Parts..

keep posting guys, we are listening to you all and appreciate all your efforst thus far!

I'll updat the bolg over the next few days

for the moment here are some preview shots of the Master SNEB 6 X 68mm Rocket Launcher pod for the Falklands Gazelle (or any other gazelle that has this weapon platform),

We would love to hear your feedback

Aaron1Jan2012002.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012003.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012004.jpg

Aaron1Jan2012012.jpg

Thanks

Roy :)

Sounds excellent, Roy,

Now if we could get some mods and update stuff for the Royal Marine Lynx and German Bo-105 PAH-1A1 such as the weps, ECM gear, etc, I think you would be well on your way to successful sales!

I'm looking forward to purchasing your items!

Cheers,

Glynn "WARDOG" Jacobs

Defo would be up for some of this!!!!. Would be nice to see some stuff for the Lynx aswell.

weegie

• 4 weeks later...

Anorak Resin's SNEB 6 X 68mm Rocket Launcher pod for Falklands Gazelle.

Following on from my review of the 339 Gun Pod I was also given this little gem to paint up and review. Again cast in grey resin with no blemishes etc. Painting really does bring out the crisp surface detail and this will look the part slung on to the side of your Gazelle. I will be doing a full build soon using the full filter, exhaust and various details that will undoubtedly be popular as the 30th anniversary of the Falklands campaign is nearly upon us, 30 years! God I'm getting old! you can find Anorak Resin on E- bay at roy4002.

004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

Thanks for looking and again to Roy for supplying the review sample and trusting me with his baby.....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...