A question to all ex-RAF Phantom 'sooties' out there?...

Derek Bradshaw

Hi all

Here are my findings with the tape measure....all in good old fashioned inches!

Firstly the Intake area:

Height of Intake: Inner surfaces top to bottom= 43 1/2"

" " : : Outer lip edge top to bottom= 45 1/2"

Width of Intake at widest point = 17 1/2 ", which is at a height of 22" from bottom lip

Intake upper profile is horizontal from fuselage as seen from front for 7 1/2" before curve down to vertical

Intake lower profile is horizontal from fuselage as seen from front for 11" before curve up to vertical

Intake splitter plates are rear (Internal): 43" length (finished in exterior upper camo colour)

" " " " forward : 45" overall length/ overall height 53" (this is angled forward however) with forward static portion being 22 1/4" length

Hope this makes sense so far.....

Here is the hot end...

Circumference : Rear edge of jet pipe = 121"

At largest point = 135"

The jet pipe has a visible bulge about half way along the visible portion, although upon measuring this (several times) this seems the same (135") as the part nearest the fuselage, so perhaps it's an illusion?!

Overall length of visible jet pipe = 17 1/4"

Diameter of Jet Pipe = 39"

Re-Heat Petals Internal Diameter: Closed = 27"

Open = 33"

Depth of Jet Pipe from outer edge to re-heat petals = 6"

Length of re-heat petals = 10"

Depth of jet pipe outer edge to re-heat assembly = 43 3/4"

I hope this enough information!!

Am sure that you will be able to ally this to photos for reference.

TTFN

Rob

Rob, thanks! That's outstanding! I now know that the Aires exhausts are almost 2mm too small at the wide end, so I can happily fill in the trenches they used to represent the weld-seams and bulk out the shroud a little to look more realistic. That'll keep me out of the pub for a while ;)

Thanks again!

G.

• 2 years later...

Hi Mr. Boscombe73 and all Phantom experts.

Are all versions of Phantom sharing the same fuselage? I have all 1/48 kits on hand and I found all of them have different figures of upper body width.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct dimension and what the dimensions of the real plane around such area?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Chic

What specific area are you talking about?

Your post points out that plastic kits are not miniature airplanes - they are small artistic sculptures of airplanes. That's why you can't interchange parts between kits of the same airplane in the same scale from different manufacturers.