A question to all ex-RAF Phantom 'sooties' out there?...

Derek Bradshaw

Hello All,

I am trying to determine the correct diameter of a Rolls Royce Spey Mk.203 (as used in FGR.2 Phantom aircraft) engine compressor fan? (1st stage LP fan) - can anyone out there provide me with an answer please?

Yours in appreciation

Derek

Hi Derek

If no-one can help, am sure some one will know this one though, we have an earlier F4, XT 597 in our collection at Boscombe Down with Spey's in place, could crawl up the intake with a tape measure tomorrow if you like? Perhaps someone will rescue me from such a fate before that??!

Regards

Rob

Hi Derek

If no-one can help, am sure some one will know this one though, we have an earlier F4, XT 597 in our collection at Boscombe Down with Spey's in place, could crawl up the intake with a tape measure tomorrow if you like? Perhaps someone will rescue me from such a fate before that??!

Regards

Rob

Well Rob, that is very kind of you...hopefully, someone will save you from that, however, if not, then I would be very grateful for the confirmation. Actually, there are five other dimension for this aircraft that I need to confirm - can I send you an e-mail with the details?

Many thanks

Derek

Hi Rob, if you're around your jet with a tape measure, could you please also measure the circumference of the jetpipe shroud at the fuselage end & the open end please, plus the length of the shroud? I'm still trying to figure whether the back end of the Revell FGR2 is too big or whether it's the Aires set that's too small so I can start thinking about correcting the issue for the builds I've got in the stash.

I'm sure that 'jetpipe shroud' isn't the right term, but it's this bit that covers the end of the jetpipe:

fgr-pipe.jpg

Thanks

G.

I'm still trying to figure whether the back end of the Revell FGR2 is too big or whether it's the Aires set that's too small

I gather the consensus is that Aires' replacement Spey nozzles are too small. Personally I'll be happy to stick with what the kit provides.

Hi Rob, if you're around your jet with a tape measure, could you please also measure the circumference of the jetpipe shroud at the fuselage end & the open end please, plus the length of the shroud? I'm still trying to figure whether the back end of the Revell FGR2 is too big or whether it's the Aires set that's too small so I can start thinking about correcting the issue for the builds I've got in the stash.

I'm sure that 'jetpipe shroud' isn't the right term, but it's this bit that covers the end of the jetpipe:

fgr-pipe.jpg

Thanks

G.

Hi G...That is one of the 'five' measurements that is on my list! ;)

Derek

Hi Derek

You'll wear out my tape measure before long!!

Well I did climb up the intake yesterday for all of you following this, however being a slight chap it's an easy fit for me though!

Measurements so far....

The casing to centre boss is 42cm or 16 1/2 ", that equals 84cm or 33" overall width

The Compressor Blade outer edge to centre boss is 40cm or 15 3/4" which equals 80cm or 31 1/2" overall width

This particular Spey was taken from FGR2 XV401, so we're on the right track....

Will have a look round the intakes and back end of 597 tomorrow, I seem to think one re-heat set of petals are open, the other closed so will measure both.

Sorry no photo's as its Boscombe Down, but am sure you all know what these bits look like close up any way, hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Derek

You'll wear out my tape measure before long!!

Well I did climb up the intake yesterday for all of you following this, however being a slight chap it's an easy fit for me though!

Measurements so far....

The casing to centre boss is 42cm or 16 1/2 ", that equals 84cm or 33" overall width

The Compressor Blade outer edge to centre boss is 40cm or 15 3/4" which equals 80cm or 31 1/2" overall width

This particular Spey was taken from FGR2 XV401, so we're on the right track....

Will have a look round the intakes and back end of 597 tomorrow, I seem to think one re-heat set of petals are open, the other closed so will measure both.

Sorry no photo's as its Boscombe Down, but am sure you all know what these bits look like close up any way, hope this helps!

Rob

Rob, thank you so much...the holy grail is now nearly within my grasp! Confirmation of the fan diameter with the Mk.1 eyeball (and tape measeure, of course) is a fantastic start. Your measurement compare favourably to one of the quoted dimensions of 32.5"...but thanks to your dimensions, I now have more than a good starting point!

I look forward to your findings for the other hot and cold end airframe dimensions!

Grateful regards

Derek

Looking forward to that one Derek!

Don't know if the FGR.2/FG.1 Tooms were parked with dilated A/B iris, but as seen at Hendon last August...

tony t

Thanks Tony, great pictures :).

Hopefully (evrything well and truely crossed :innocent:), Rob ('Boscombe73) will still be able to run a tape measure over the intakes and exhausts of XT859 (he said that one engine has the AB petals closed, and the other one fully open - so we'll see!).

Regards

Derek