AKAN paints?

Paul Wagner

A couple of points of clarification here, as we're AKAN's distributor outside the former territories of the USSR.

1. Not all AKAN paints are faded. Some of the modern colours are, and this was at the behest of the local market in Russia. Most VVS assets are exposed to the elements 365 days per year.

2. Some factory fresh post-war VVS colours are in development at AKAN now. They will form part of a new fast-drying semi-gloss acrylic line, which we will be launching in early 2013. This new paint formulation has a tougher finish and is designed for optimal use when using washes and weathering techniques. We just received the first test batch from Moscow and are impressed. New colours will be added to this line throughout 2013. Be aware that the new line of paints are not water-based, and correspondingly there may be shipping restrictions applicable to certain countries.

We also just received some interesting new colours for the water-based 7xxxx line for Soviet armour and 1960s/70s VVS schemes. We'll post details to our Web site later this week.

Hope this helps.

http://www.lindenhil...ts.com/akan.htm

P.S. Here's a picture of one part of AKAN's office in southern Moscow. It's situated in an old military factory where the Sputnik was manufactured. Anyone recognise the green colour on the walls?

photo.jpg

I got the five bottle starter set to try, it worked out around 7 pounds posted. First impression is its very similar to tamiya being alcohol based.

Hopefully ill get on with them as i build mostly eastern european/soviet

To clarify that the new series introduced by AKAN lately (second part of 2012).
It is series 6xxxx and Yes it is Lacquer based colors. The Lacquer sets are series 46xxx.
Airbrushing perfectly and dry very fast (bad smelling but much less than Mr Color)

All series of AKAN paints (Series 6, 7, 8 and 9) are available also from:

Hobby Colours & Accessories

(www.hobbycolours.com)

Paint Sets: Acrylic and Lacquer and other products are available for review and purchasing based on stock availability.

The picture from their office (Akan's) is really interesting but I would say that the most interesting thing is the "thing" parked outside on the left from the window.

Thomas

Edited by thkar

• 11 months later...

so , i finally got around to using the akan paints i brought ages ago. and im impressed.

If i were to buy some from hoby colours would they be destroyed by the delightful royal mail?

• 1 month later...

so , i finally got around to using the akan paints i brought ages ago. and im impressed.

If i were to buy some from hoby colours would they be destroyed by the delightful royal mail?

No issue with the royal mail when you are buing from Hobby Colours

A number of AKAN products are available on eBay at seemingly attractive prices. Having a couple of Flankers in the dungeon, and mindful of some issues regarding the specific AKAN colours, I have ordered some alternatives from MR. Paint (http://www.mrpaint.sk/) -nothing to do with GS! Obviously I can't comment on these yet, but they appear to be worth checking out.

A number of AKAN products are available on eBay at seemingly attractive prices. Having a couple of Flankers in the dungeon, and mindful of some issues regarding the specific AKAN colours, I have ordered some alternatives from MR. Paint (http://www.mrpaint.sk/) -nothing to do with GS! Obviously I can't comment on these yet, but they appear to be worth checking out.

I've done the same, after seeing a chap using the interior colour in a mig 21 WIP it looked a pretty good match. Mr color is my brand of choice, and although there is no connection (despite the name) they recommend the use of the Mr Color thinners so I'm hoping they have similar behaviour! Time will tell....

I've done the same, after seeing a chap using the interior colour in a mig 21 WIP it looked a pretty good match. Mr color is my brand of choice, and although there is no connection (despite the name) they recommend the use of the Mr Color thinners so I'm hoping they have similar behaviour! Time will tell....

I think the MR. range is touted as ready-thinned (like Vallejo ModelAir?), but I would never trust to luck without some kind of thinner to hand!

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I just want to tell you that my small business is distributor of AKAN paints in Finland and shipping worldwide. Currently there's wide range of acrylics and other water-based materials in stock, small batch of enamels is about arrive this week. Check my store at: http://www.hpns.eu

---

Ville Myllylä

Hobby Paint N' Stuff

www.hpns.eu

• Like 1

Can you ship the enamels via mail? The US Postal Service says no.

Yes I can!

I was just informed that the shipment from factory has been damaged. I don't know any details yet, but it's possible that enamels are not going to be in stock this week. :unsure:

---

Ville Myllylä

Hobby Paint N' Stuff

www.hpns.eu

Do you stock or plan to stock the Lacquer based ones? 600 series?

Yep, although very limited range (some USSR colours) at first. I'll slowly build up the stock based on people's requests. You can post here or PM me if you can't find the product(s) you want from my shop.

---

Ville Myllylä

Hobby Paint N' Stuff

www.hpns.eu

Just like to say I have purchased from Ville @ Hobby Paint N'Stuff and got a top notch service.

Purchased on a Monday arrived Friday (From Finland!!) Cracking service, friendly chap who kept me informed, nice paints.

Just like to say I have purchased from Ville @ Hobby Paint N'Stuff and got a top notch service.

Purchased on a Monday arrived Friday (From Finland!!) Cracking service, friendly chap who kept me informed, nice paints.

Likewise. Ordered on Thursday, arrived today.

Gentlemen, remember! AKAN paints are best suited for the Soviet and Russian aviation :thumbsup2:

I know, thats why I got them, with a Mig 21, 23 & 29 and a Su-22 and Su-25 I would be mad not to try them