AKAN paints?

Paul Wagner

Gentlemen, remember! AKAN paints are best suited for the Soviet and Russian aviation :thumbsup2:

Although I am using the paints on an Egypyian MiG-21 some of the paints are actually for British aircraft.

I ordered the Su-30 MKI set from Coastal Craft Models late on Friday and they arrived this morning, their prices are more expensive but p&p is cheaper than oversea's so it only ends up being a few pounds more.

• 1 month later...

Series 6 is Lacquer based paints - not Enamel (Enamel is series 8)

Before Easter hobbycolours had major restocking for all AKAN colors including many new lacquer sets and paints from series 6.

For the record, 1048 products are available from AKAN in their e-shop.

Series 6 is Lacquer based paints - not Enamel (Enamel is series 8)

Are you sure? You know what you are talking about?

On AKAN's wholesale buyer's list series 6 is headlined: "Acrylic SEMIGLOSS enamels, to be used with AKAN enamel thinner"

and 8 series: "Acrylic-urethane enamel, special thinner based"

Read the label:

2014-04-26%2022.06.22%20%28800x610%29.jp

I am pretty sure (not only me) that series 6 is Laquer paints. You can ask AKAN directly or search this forum for this subject and you will be able to find the answer.

Now about the labelling, it is well known that AKAN is a Rusian company and translation from Rusian to English is always an issue when Google is used.

But in this case this is not the problem, labels are intensionally printed with this info due to exportation restrictions (including Rusia), you can ask AKAN about this issue as well.

And just for you not to have any doubt for: "Are you sure? You know what you are talking about?", I have visit AKAN laboratory many times (maybe more than 6 times) in Rusia during the last couple of years.

Lacquer paint can't be Enamel paint, is totally 2 different categories of paint classification. This can be easily proved by the thinning example.

A simple example using products from AKAN or from any other manufacturer is that Lacquer thinner is able to thin Enamel paints but not the opposite (Enamel thinner to thin Lacquer paint). Lacquer thinner is much more stronger than Enamel thinner and has different consistency, that is why AKAN 84001 Thinner can only be used to thin Enamel paints and Enamel metallic from series 8, but not Lacquer paints from series 6 (for this purpose there is AKAN 64001 Lacquer thinner). Check AKAN's wholesale buyer's list for the Thinners description.

• 7 months later...

The biggest difference between the two types of paint is the solvent. Enamel uses thinner or white spirits and lacquer paint uses lacquer thinner. Enamel paints use a process that allows polymers in the paint to set and bond together. Thus, when the paint hardens, it will not soften again. In contrast, lacquer paint dries when the solvent has evaporated and can soften over time.

• 10 months later...

Since some of these were posted; AKAN has produced a set of the current colors for the Su-33. It also has two sets of paints for the Zvezda Su-27 SM, one for the period before 2014, and for those now being produced/re-painted. HTH. There are also even more new paints available.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the Akan laquer paints (serial starting 6*****) can be mixed with other acrylic laquers, such as Mr Color? I am looking for a way to fade and darken my Akan paints without having to buy black and white.

Thanks

Jon